Clamp starts to slip string

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by ganandoor56, May 7, 2017.

1. ganandoor56

ganandoor56 Regular Member

Hi,

I am using Pro's Pro fixed clamps. After about 20 stringjobs I've noticed, that thin strings like BG66 Ulti, Adipro... are slipping through. It damaged the strings or left some marks. I cleaned the tooth of the clamps with alcohole and adjust the wheel, but it doesn't really work out well. What else can I do? :(

2. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

Could you link the bases and clamps?
    A video of it slipping would be great. You should be able to clamp it without it slipping, however it might snap the string.
    Have you tried to do as kwun in this video?

3. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    Unfortunately, the Pro's Pro clamps do not do so well on thin or slippery strings. Either it slips or you tighten it too much the string gets crushed as you clamp.

It may be time to get some badminton diamond dusted clamps as an upgrade if you still want to string using those strings.

4. ganandoor56

I believe that one of them slips only. At the moment I do mains left side first, then right side. I have to lift the drop weight slowly up, so it won't slip or just slip a little bit. Is there a spray for this problem?

Do you have any not too expensive recommendations for me? :)

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Tbh, buy other clamps if you like it easy. Maybe your starting routine is not that great. Marks are visible with eagle eyes, but shouldn't be an issue. If your string snaps, you should clean them with a "Drahtbürste". Then try to adjust them. Pull first 10kg and see if it slips and than increase the tension. If you want to string BG66UM beyond 12kg, you need new clamps, no other way out. The magic between the adjustment is to adjust the clamps to the point were the strings don't slip without crimping and marking toomuch. This is a real "Eiertanz":D and needs patience. Just 2mm too much tighten the wheel and it can snap or 2mm too less and it slips. I recommend to mark the wheel if you string various strings. I adjusted my clamps and set a marker for 0.65mm strings and one for 0.70mm strings. The rest is adjusted between by feel. I adjust usually up to 15kg, to be safe.

If this doesn't work and you don't want to invest into expensive clamps, you can just switch to flying clamps, but this also means, that the quality and tension of your jobs drop, but you won't snap strings anymore. 2 decent YY flying ones are 40€.

ganandoor56 likes this.
  6. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Does it mean, that you weave and tension the mains on one side up to the tie-off and then the other side? If you do so...oh dear! :(

Exert likes this.
  7. Bugbait

Bugbait Regular Member

Just to get it out of the way: You should be doing left and right evenly or in a alternating pattern after the first few to keep the pressure as balanced as possible on the frame.

As a previous Pro's Pro owner and user, there are no cheap or easy methods to improve the PP clamps. They're cheap enough that you can play lucky dip, buy some more and hope you get a decent one, or purchase a known "good" one second hand. I had one decent PP clamp that would hold BGAS without crushing or slipping up to 29lbs. The other would still slip with BGAS at 25lbs even when it was crushing the string.

My solution (prior to getting a whole new machine) was to use good (i.e. Yonex) flying clamps on slippery strings and/or at higher tensions. The string bed won't be as tight as good fixed clamps BUT still better than using crappy PP clamps. Although you will loose some tension with the flying clamps relative to good fixed ones, the string won't be slipping! The better solution, although costing more would be to buy some decent, non-PP clamps. The cheaper solution would be as above, to get some decent flying clamps.

ganandoor56 likes this.
  8. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

My PP clamps can hold around 30lbs with 66UM, which is ok for me, however I have a pair of the Superstringer Gamma-style clamps on the way from Tennisman. Hopefully those will be able to hold 34lbs :)

ganandoor56 likes this.
  9. Chan1011

Chan1011 Regular Member

I find even with diamond dusted Gamma clamps, I need to clean them after a few string jobs to remove built up plastic or else I risk slippage, you also need to ensure that they are tightened correctly, I find they start to move apart after some usage.

ganandoor56 likes this.
  10. AZbadman

AZbadman Regular Member

Sales and Marketing
    Toyozouki or Yonex clamps don't have that issue.......Get a set of those. PM me if you need a set. I have a set for sale

11. ganandoor56

Big thanks for all your answers and tips!
    I asked the dude who sold me the clamps. He'll send me another one. Hope it won't slip this time. I commonly tension between 9 - 11,5kg. That's it.
    Man... If I knew that the Pros Pro clamps and machine were that bad before, I'd have invested a bit more money to buy a better machine from an other brand.