What do you guys think about new players having expensive rackets?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by derpyelol1, May 16, 2017.

1. derpyelol1

derpyelol1 New Member

I'm a relatively new player (1 year), but i already have a high end ($~160) racket. What do you guys think about beginners having expensive rackets?

2. Tantrum

Tantrum Regular Member

Your money, do what u want
    End of the day, if you have fun and the racket lasts you a long time, then it is a good buy.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Rob3rt, sautom88, Abu Tanki and 2 others like this.
  3. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Somebody has to make the economy go round.

4. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Everyone should buy what they want. You just have to feel comfortable with the racket.

Many high end rackets are not good for beginners and you'd better play with a cheaper racket.

5. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

"Woah, nice racquet! Mind if I try it out?" :p

6. Stealthking

Stealthking Regular Member

Buy the best racket that you can afford.....that's my simple rule....

Apart from that, there is no hard and fast rule on what type of racket a beginner should have...

7. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I would recommend against a beginner buying an expensive racquet to be honest. Yes it is your money, so do what you wish with it, but it is of no benefit other than bragging rights imo.

1. It will not improve your game and may in fact hinder your development
    2. You are likely to clash/damage it
    3. It is unlikely to suit your ability
    4. You could buy 2 or may be 3 racquets for the same price which are likely to be more suitable for you. Or you could spend the surplus on coaching which will benefit your development far more.
    5. High end racquets tend to be stiff which will reduce your power and may even cause injury.
    6. You are unlikely to feel the difference between a cheap and an expensive racquet.
    7. There is no guarantee that you will still be interested in badminton after a few sessions - so why spend that much on a racquet?

I usually recommend beginners start with a very basic racquet, a slightly heavier one would be good for stroke/technique development. A metal frame one with a "T" joint would be just fine. They are quite robust and is more than enough for a beginner. If you decide to continue playing and improve, you will gradually demand more from the racquet and can then progress to other racquets.

dave010 likes this.
  8. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    "A metal frame with a T joint"
    Not even newbies should suffer these... there are loads of one piece full carbons for a reasonable price ;)

stradrider, Rob3rt and decoy like this.
  9. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Not sure I agree there. I still think a metal racquet is still good for beginners. Yes they may be a little heavier but that to me is a benefit for beginners as it helps them develop good technique and strength and helps to smooth out the stroke a little.

Steel shafts are also stiffer than carbon ones, which places more emphasis on technique to generate power. Which was one of the reasons why I found it so easy to generate power on my backhand when I moved to carbon racquets.

They are also very robust and can take more clashes and floor scrapes than any carbon racquet could - which for a beginner is likely to happen a lot.

There is nothing wrong with a metal frame, T-jointed racquet for a beginner. A lot of us learnt to play badminton with these racquets, including I believe a lot of the current pros. I still have the metal framed/t-jointed racquets I used when I learnt to play 27+ years ago which are still going strong.

I still remember some Asian pros insisting on using T-jointed racquets well into the 90's when one-piece racquets were already pretty much the norm - and doing quite well too. So, to say beginners using metal frame, t-jointed racquets is "suffering" is a little bit short sighted imo.

Cheung likes this.
  10. Furholden

Furholden Regular Member

Nobody should feel bad about their purchase, even if they're a beginner.

11. Alex_Xu

Alex_Xu Regular Member

NON
    Speaking of that there are cheap rackets out there that are .. I would say underestimated such as voltric 7 and voltric 5 /single digit series
    but yeh when people ask me if they want to try out my racket i am more than happy to let them have a knock, so they have a taste of rackets at different price and quality.
    just get what you find comfortable :)

There will always be rackets that are at ridiculous prices such as Glanz when it first came out, don't mean nought when people have expensive rackets (unless they are limited edition or old ie mp99 or ti10 first gen etc then i take a slight notice) XD

12. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    27 years ago?

I totally respect you learned to play on a different racket, I learned to play on an oval prince racket, and people to this day swear about sweet spot stuff, but... It's very old. I think that people should pick up a reasonable full carbon in this day and age. Especially kids when they start. God kids trying to swing metal rackets is awful to watch.

13. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

Just don't get loan ;)

14. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

R90120 is old school badminton, just like me. I started playing regularly in 1978 using a wooden racket w/ steel shaft, Grays. It helped to improve my strokes and my wrist power. But, Charlie was right that you could enjoy n learn the game w/ an inexpensive carbon racket, albeit don't choose those superlight ones,
    However, u already bought it so there's no need for further discussion. Just enjoy yr racket n yr games

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    i think good and bad points about using a heavier racquet. Light racquets also have good and bad points for a beginner.

The original carbonex 9

I don't think anybody can really develop a good swing based on the racquet weight.

Heavy or light racquets are not a big problem at the beginner stage.

16. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    We aren't as strict in England, we let kids hit the shuttle straight away. Ever seen a kid do an insanely exaggerated swing? Now add a metal racket.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    How do reckon I know so much about England? ;)

18. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

As long as you are happy and can afford it. It might motivate you to train harder.

19. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    A burning passion for the royal family ;)

20. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

Techniques are very hard to be corrected later on. So IMHO beginners should start with light rackets. Strength could be developed elsewhere.