Sudirman Cup 2017 : Quarter Finals

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by Nine Tailed Fox, May 24, 2017.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You're right. And it's the knockout stage now with three remaining matches at most , so how should Xia Xuanze line up for Chen Long ? Final, a bit risky as he's known to suffer attacks of nerves in the past team events, semifinal possibly against LCW, then better let Lin Dan deal with him for psychological advantage is a clear edge for LD over LCW, that leaves today's QF; I mean we don't expect XXZ to sideline CL in all the three knockout matches as that would be bad for CL's morale as if confirming his vulnerability in team events is incurable, not mention his proper pride. Besides, he should be given an opportunity to prove himself and overcome the 'demon' on him as I believe he could now with his growing maturity and experience.

Yes, for sure, Lin Dan can very well handle Srikanth, when he could at Rio where his fitness was suspect then, so why not now when his stamina has improved considerably.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Not possible, he's supposed to be the talking head but he only talks to the forummers not the online audience as commentators do analysing and narrating the match. Btw, his name is Bao Qiang, the older man in another similar livestream is called Lao Ye (old Ye or Master Ye).

Too bad zhangyutv didn't stream the CCTV5 or CCTV5+ with top-notched professional commentators on duty.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Spare a thought for Chen Long, Xia Xuanze has to as well, you don't expect CL to be benched he rest of the tourney, that'd be be disheartening and disrespectful to him. As I've said, XXZ probably want to keep Lin Dan for a possible SF clash and the Final where as we know CL is most vulnerable. At the same, high time for CL to overcome his team event phobia or whatever you call it.

Frankly, before the start of CL's match with KS, I'd expected him to take it, but for most of G1, both combatants appeared nervous despite CL having a good start. Both of them steadied their nerves a bit more in G2, but it seemed to me CL handled the pressure better than SK in G2 as well, I think.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yeah, this chap, 16 years old(?), Satwik Rankireddy, is a surprise package, a revelation perhaps except that he is better in XD than MD mainly because he's got a very good and experienced female partner, Ashwini Ponnapa. Of course, with nothing to lose, young and fearless, he can play freely and throw caution to the winds; a bright prospect to look out for in the future. Let's see how he performs in the junior circuit.

badmuse likes this.
  5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Actually, I can see unmistakable improvements in doubles for IND Team already, though still some way to go to challenge the top guns; credit to the INA import coach.

badmuse likes this.
  6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Actually, I feel Huang Yaqiong/Lu Kai are still not experienced enough and mentally as well as shown in this team championship but at least they managed to recompose themselves and not lose their bearings as happened to Zheng Siwei/Chen Qingchen earlier.

LK/HYQ certainly play significantly better in the individual tournaments lately. Still, the IND scratch pair, Ponnappa/Satwik, put up a creditable performance.

7. Ajaib

Ajaib Regular Member

Berdagang
    Facing japan tomorrow, i hope China choose Sun Yu,,, i think she can handle akane or nozomi

8. Ajaib

Ajaib Regular Member

Berdagang
    Yeah,,, they're not experienced enough in team events, but i still prefer them to face japan tomorrow,,, Zheng Siwei / Chen Qingchen looks more vulnerable now

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Agree, they are a better bet than ZSW/CQC atm.

10. Ajaib

Ajaib Regular Member

Berdagang
    can you share who do u think should be pick to represent China team tomorrow? Here is my wish list...
    MS : Chen Long, he can beat the japanese, and Lin Dan should play in the final against korea or thailand, Chen Long choke against Son in team event, and he lost to Tanongsak on their last meeting
    WS : Sun Yu, dont know why but i think she can handle akane or nozomi better than CYF and HBJ
    MD : I want Li / Liu, to give them more experience, but Fu / Zhang is more safe i think
    WD : Chen Qingchen / Jia Yifan,,, they have better record against matsutomo/takahasi, and i think Tang / Bao is not as good as before,,, Tang Jinhua / Chen Qingchen will be a good combo
    XD : Lu Kai / Huang Yaqiong

11. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

My picks would be:

MS - still go for Lin Dan who only played one match so far and that days ago, he needs to settle in fully for the final, assuming the CHN do enter the final. As we know, Chen Long's vulnerability in team events cannot be completely ruled out yet;

WS - none of the three is a clear choice. If I were Xia Xuanze, I'd discuss the lineup with Zhang Jun as if WS is a lost cause, so the selection is a matter of who wants it more among the three ladies; if all three expressed readiness, then my choice would be He Bingjiao because at their best, she is the most talented, just not sure how she handles team pressure but I'd simply tell her not to worry and let herself go, no high expectations; at the same time ,having rested well, HBJ's fitness shouldn't be an issue, it's her mentality in a major championship, untested, that is a real concern, for which both Sun Yu and Chen Yufei aren't any better, I think;

MD - Fu/Zhang may seem a safer bet no doubt but I won't mind fielding Li /Liu whom as I think is almost as good as their veterans in dealing with the strong JPN MD pair, Sonoda/Kamura, whom I expect to be doing battle again;

WD - agree Bao Yixin/Tang Jinhua not as good as before,and Chen Qingchen/Jia Yifan have lost some of their mojo lately, a difficult choice. So I would place a small preference to Bao/Tang if only because their recent coming together as a pair makes them a bit less familiar to the JPN WD, specifically Matsutomo/Ayaka;

XD - as I've said, will stick to Lu Kai/Huang Yaqiong.

#332 Justin L, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Ajaib likes this.
  13. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    I don't think CHN has any chance against AY. HBJ is shaky lately, CYF won't be selected CHN association clearly favors experience over anything, SY chokes more often than not. So yeah, WS is a 30-70.
    WD is also favorable for JPN, but MM struggle with service. A few good attacking serve RETURNS and CHN will have a psychological edge over MM still (40-60)
    MS and XD (90-10) CHN
    So it boils down to MD, Kamura/Sonoda are no easy nut to crack. Hoping for a tight contest

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Not bad, SIN Ryan Ng giving the 'old' Viet warrior a run for his money.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Right, CHN will regard JPN as the biggest threat and treat tomorrow's semifinal as a final battle as it should be, in my opinion. Yeah, it's 50-50.

16. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Great MS game.

17. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    Both CCTV-5 and CCTV-5 PLUS strangely seemed not broadcast the QF CHN vs IND :eek::( thus had to resort to zhangyu LS, and feel grateful to its FREE, good enough service & quality/resolution, better than the betting service videostrem ukraine, steady coverage and with minimum or even no nuisance.... and no IP restriction!

Just can't complain the role of Bao Qiang there... any free rider who does not like his talking should just mute the audio :p

IF ONLY BWF will manage its own FULL, Quality Live Stream with NO sh!tty Geoblock restriction through any medium with worldwide reach... but seems too much the expectation <sigh>

#337 kelana, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
  18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Experience just barely edges out youthful exuberance in the Viet - SIN MS tie in G1, 25-23 to Nguyen Tien Minh.

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

True, what to complain about the zhangyutv's LS where they have been providing most of the free livestreaming reliably and in high quality, esp when it's not available anywhere else.

And, thankfully, for the Sudirman Cup, there are several LS to choose from on zhangyutv, including those with the BWF-provided commentators in English, and without the talking head to boot sometimes.

20. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Damn, he is breathing quite heavily...