TOTAL BWF SUDIRMAN Cup 2017 : FINAL (28th May)

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by CLELY, May 27, 2017.

1. Desireless

Desireless Regular Member

There's nothing equal about women and men in a raw physical sense. Trying to do "what if female player X played against male player Y" scenarios is really quite pointless.

Refer to what I said about tennis. There is a reason men play 5 sets and women 3. They both have to earn the same amount of points to win each game. But the distribution curve will obviously show that the average time on court in a 5 set match is higher than a 3 set match.

2. Desireless

Flame on, flame on... lol

3. soulpx

soulpx Regular Member

Trader
    thank god swh not playing in the final. if he did and win against cl we dont have the opportunity to watch the great xd final.

4. virusvoodoo

virusvoodoo Regular Member

court mopper
    same thing can be said for Peter Gade with last Thomas Cup.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

And it is for that reason many dont take women's tennis as seriously. Stamina is not so different between the genders, power is. Also, men's tennis tended to have fewer rallies in the past because serves are so much better, so they might've had less play time per set....anyhow, I'm strongly against men and women playing with different rules.
    Until they play the same # of sets, women cant complain about having less price money, as far as I'm concerned. Less work, less exposure, less pay.

In badminton, the main difference between the genders is how explosively the game is played, as the men have much more power. I can only play about 2 really decent MS matches before my level drops significantly, but if my opponents play slowly enough to not push me to my (speed) limit, I can easily play 3-5, even if single rallies are longer (btw, rallies are usually longer in MS compared to WS).

Your comparison of SWH and SJH is lacking objective arguments and instead hinges on a weird comparison to a completely different sport - which, to be entirely honest, implies a lacking understanding of the game.

Also - playing LD/CL and playing HBJ are quite different tasks. OG Gold medalists and multiple world champions vs inexperienced youngster.....yeah.
    Same match, basically, and WS as a whole is just as competitive as MS, too! /s

#365 j4ckie, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  6. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    ummm, do you understand the point you were trying to make originally? please clarify it...
    what's your point here?
    • ws is equally as tiring as ms because they both play best of 3, or
    • ws is equally as tiring for women as ms is for men because they both play best of 3, or
    • ws is equally as tiring as ms because of the style of play, or
    • ws is more tiring than ms because of the style of play...
    so, like, what is the reason men play best of 5? it's only at grand slam events. it was done for tv. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/25/...-best-of-five-format-in-mens-tennis.html?_r=0

anyway, again, i'm not sure what point you're trying to make...

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    for the finals of Sudirman Cup, I think it is better to have seven matches instead of the current five.

There should be 4 singles and 3 doubles.

Justin L likes this.
  8. Desireless

If we really must compare opponents then let's go:

SWH played a whopping total of 3 matches: 2 against WR6 and 1 against WR62. Total of about 300 points.

On the other hand, SJH played 5 matches: 2 against WR1, 1 against WR7, 1 against WR9, and 1 against WR41. Total of about 400 points.

TTY is essentially the closest WS equivalent of CL at the moment. So you tell me...who had the harder path?

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I'd be ashamed too if I were the single best player that made it possible for my team to get to the final....SJH was schooled by TTY, the best current WS player, and stood absolutely no chance, yet you think SWH shouldve played the male equivalent player after going through 3 tough matches in 3 days and possibly risk injury in the process...
    You really seem to have some sort of warped dislike of SWH, but this isnt the place to act that out.

10. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    in some professions i would agree with you, but sports fall heavily into the entertainment category as well. in entertainment those who draw more $ at the gate, and more advertising revenue, deserve higher pay. the popularity of men's tennis vs. women's tennis tends to alternate. whichever is more popular at the time deserves more $.

in the usa women's futbol deserves higher pay than men because, for now, they bring in more revenue.
    do you think wnba players deserve the same as nba players? neither do i.

11. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

SWH was being out of touch in the vs Avihingsanon match. He was tired physically and mentally.
    Putting him against Chen Long in the next day seems like a bad idea.

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Seeing how the MS scene is ridiculously competitivein comparison to the WS, the rankings aren't really that indicative of how hard a match is. Also, SJH's match against TTY wasnt very draining because she got thrashed so quickly I could barely finish lunch in that time.
    Playing CL or LD, both of whom are pretty known for grinding down their opponents physically, is not a good idea if you arent at 100 or even 95% physically.

Justin L likes this.
  13. Desireless

LOL you clearly weren't paying much attention.

TTY G1: 15-21, 21-15, 14-21
    TTY G2: 14-21, 24-26

"Wasn't very draining"?
    "Thrashed so quickly"?
    "SJH didn't stand a chance"?

Please check your facts before commenting to save time.

Also as I said, TTY is the best WS on the circuit at the moment, the equivalent of CL or LD, depending on who you think is the best MS. And SJH played her TWICE before the final.

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Soooo 3 MS and 2 MD? That's very similar to how we play our matches, but I think for the SC it defeats the purpose, where the most balanced team usually wins. If you were to play more MS matches, CHN and IND would have an immediate advantage, despite CHN having a weak female squad and IND having no doubles to speak of.

Correction: I think you meant 2 MS and 2 WS instead. That's an interesting prospect, but again, it favors the singles-heavy nations.

15. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    ah, i get it now...
    you have no idea what point you're trying to make.

*bzzzt* next...

16. Desireless

When one lacks any rational arguments in the face of hard facts, the last resort is to apply a lame attempt at humour?

Next indeed...lmao.

17. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

He is saying that SJH's path is much harder because she face TTY two times, the equivalent of CL.

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I was talking about the playoff match, where KOR won the close match against TPE, which, by the way, they wouldnt have without SWH delivering. But hater's gonna hate.
    You continue living in your dream world where women's tennis is correct in playing BO3 instead of BO5 and where badminton's WS scene is even nearly as competitive as MS. And where 'doing his duty' his more important for an athlete than injury prevention or having a chance of winning.

If KOR had play TPE in the final, SWH wouldve played and the coach might have fielded someone else in the WS, seeing how SJH wont win it anyways....would you still come in here and talk **** about her?

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I would say that TTY has a drastically different play style, and seeing how CL is not exactly on a winning streak of tournaments right now, I wouldnt say they're very similar apart from being elite players. LCW would probably be more similar.

Playing TTY will not drain you as much as playing CL, I'd say. He rallies a lot more and allows more attacking play, his strength is in high shot quality, solid defense, and not attacking too early, but he doesnt flat out destroy other Top10 players in short matches.

20. indrg

indrg Regular Member

yet Zheng/Chen has lost twice in the tournament.