Gosen Fan Club

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by mikomi, Apr 10, 2016.

1. TigerSmash

TigerSmash Regular Member

But it's good to know that you have 'what seems like 5 seconds' before you make your hit

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

2. Sunray7

Sunray7 Regular Member

Thanks @Rob3rt and @s_mair and all others sharing!

Hungry for more comparisons for the gosen inferno vs the N9ii :):)

3. Lyonn Loo

Lyonn Loo Regular Member

Human
    Hows the type n?

4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Time for another short update on the Inferno. After it has spent around 3 weeks without any on-court action, I decided to give it another go yesterday. And boy, am I glad that I did that!

It felt like I have finally clicked with it and for the first time, I was able to hit seriously good smashes in a row. Either it was the strings that have settled in properly during the break or it was just a matter of getting the right timing - I could all of a sudden get good length out of it without a lot of effort. Still, it needs a bit more work than the N9II for example due to the stiffer shaft, but not to an amount where I have to really fight for it.

Hitting feel still is very hard. There is literally zero torsion or any other deflection of the head. And if you hit off-center, it will tell it to you loud and clear with some good old vibrations (some might call it "direct feedback"). It's the first racket I know that comes close to the JS10's performance in terms of no-preparation half- or stick-smashes.

Overall, it's a racket with a unique character that seems to require some time to getting used to. Before playing with it, I was expecting a JS10 in a Batman suit but it's more than that. I will keep it in the bag for now and see if I can make it work consistently over several sessions.

I'm now facing a different dilemma though. I have now got 4 different rackets in the bag (plus a second JS10) that I can play almost equally well with. How on earth should I decide which one to use?
    And how is that even possible - have I become less picky or has the overall performance of the rackets improved so much lately? :confused:

#404 s_mair, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Rob3rt likes this.
  5. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Use them all. Back ups of back ups

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

6. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Easy - if they all play the same for you, choose the prettiest! :D

badmintony likes this.
  7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Then I would probably never ever again use the Titan which would be a sin.
    And then there goes the next dilemma: N9II or Inferno? So hard to tell which of them looks better.

Lucky there's summer break just around the corner. A lot of time to think of some kind of racket choice algorithm.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

@s_mair
    So looks like you're taking it off from the for sale section?

Meanwhile CAD has climbed and I may be looking at getting one since the specs look quite similar to my preferred Gungnir Alpha albeit a tad flexier.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

At least I won't be bumping it anymore.

And being visor the Gosen-master, that's kind of a mandatory purchase for you sooner or later. But be prepared that it might not be a love at first sight relationship.

swsh and visor like this.
  10. namdoann

namdoann New Member

Sandwich Artist
    Hi everyone, so I've been lurking on this site for awhile and learning about badminton without any contribution so I thought maybe I can do a little input? Reading about the Inferno from this page I impulsively bought it for the look... Being a fan of LYD I had to use a bs 12 4u and then moving on to js 10 4u ---> Js 12 3u then 4u and now Gosen Inferno. IMO the Inferno 4u felt very familiar to the BS12. The bravesword was an awesome double racquet but I started to greed for brute force and opted for JS 12. As a recreational player I really enjoy the power from the Js 12 4u and maybe it's just me but I felt a bit of a lag during fast exchanges mid-front court. Switching to the Inferno I no longer felt the lag from trying to move the racket quickly left and right. Going to the inferno to me felt like going back to the BS12 except improved.

All in all
    summary of my experience of 4-5 sessions: I feel like the Inferno sits in between js 10 and js 12 (both 4u) In term of power it lacks compared to js 12 but midcourt/front it feels beastly thanks to a bit more stiffness. IMO the racquet felt really good during defense and quick exchanges to set up for my partner to attack from the rear (he uses Nanoray z-speed and can dish out a heavier smash then I could so why not ;).

If anyone want me to test something for them let me know. I will try my best but please note I've been only playing about 3 years without formal training so I will do my best!

Also probably because of bad technique I feel pain in my rotator cuff with the JS 12 and moving to the inferno, the pain eased quite a bit. Will need to get some coaching to fix my smash before it becomes serious.

s_mair likes this.
  11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Hi and welcome to the active side of the forum! And what a great topic to start with! So it looks like the Inferno is slowly (veeery slowly...) spreading around the world. :)
    Out of curiosity - did you have to order it from Asia or is it officially available in the US?

Good summary of the racket. Although I'm a bit surprised that you had a bigger lag issue with JS12 than with BS12. I found the BS12 to be even more flexible than JS12 resulting in more head lag. And make sure to have a coach looking at your technique. It's okay if you feel some soreness in the muscles, but there should never be any serious pain. What string tensions are you playing with by the way?

12. namdoann

namdoann New Member

Sandwich Artist
    I had to order it from e78 since I could not find a store in the US. I started out at 23lb but gradually I find comfort zone at 24lb-26lb. With the Inferno this is my first attempt at 26-28lb om Nanogy 98 and the feeling was amazing. Im only worry that having such tension would make smashes weak but so far I think it's ok. Also from reading others' review I've ordered spme zymax 62f and gosen tone 5 to test out at 26-28lb as well waiting still.

P.S. I get the pain once in awhile after a smash and it would be a 10-15seconds pain then go away. Guessing I used too much shoulder to smash at that point rather then focusing on the arm pronation?

#412 namdoann, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  13. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Pretty much impossible to point the finger at the root cause of that pain without seeing you play (and even better in slow motion...). I know these incidents myself too, mostly in the shoulder/neck area. For me it's a sign that I was trying to force things too much. Looking at your tensions, they should at least not be the culprit.

Oh, and you should definitely add also No.1 to your testing arsenal. ;)

#413 s_mair, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  14. JOKL

JOKL New Member

Hi, if I'm currently a Victor BS LHI and BS 12 user, which Gosen rackets will be closest to these models?
    I usually alternate between these 2 BS but tends to hv a preference for LHI over 12. Am looking to try out Gosen rackets.

Appreciate your recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    The inferno sounds like the closest tbh.

16. JOKL

JOKL New Member

Thks Ch1k0, was thinking of the inferno too. Are there any from the Gungnir or Customedge range?
    Appreciate all comments, thks

17. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    The Gungnirs are more similar to the MX range. They have nearly the exact same frame profiles and 80 holes too. Customedge I unfortunately have no real experience with. They never attracted me except the type x 1.0.

18. JOKL

JOKL New Member

I hv read somewhere in the earlier posts that Gungnir seems to a hybrid of BS+MX while the Customedge adopts the similar aerodynamic frame of BS too. But not sure which models will be closer.

I feel LHI is alrdy fast in attack and defence, but is also looking for something that can provide that more punch in the smashes.

19. Razack

Razack Regular Member

-

#419 Razack, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
    Rob3rt and s_mair like this.
  20. namdoann

namdoann New Member

Sandwich Artist
    So... A few clashes later and it seems my Inferno only got a few paint scratch while It broke the frame of a ZF 2 and Arcsaber 11 RIP. This was not an intended experiment for science... Just happened. Seems to be a sturdy one we have here.