Badminton Racket Grommet

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by DeathMarkz, Jun 1, 2017.

1. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Why? They have to pay taxes, need to pay rent for the store, have a superb machine, which costs minimum ten times more than any machine of an average basement stringer...If they charge the same like a so called "freelancer" they would be stupid as ****.

I'm getting mad as ****. If you ever strung a racket, you would understand that this is tough job. Regardless if fulltime or not. As a stringer my heart starts to bleed when I read something like this and such people should go to somebody else.

You are whinning about your money and the sloppy job, but think it's bullshit, that somebody who gives you an excellent job and lives from his service charges more? GTFO!

We have a saying here: "Cheap things you always need to buy twice." 12SGD sounds too low for a good job. 15-22 SGD sounds fair. Here you need to pay 28 for a reasonable job.

Mr Arc2 likes this.
  2. DeathMarkz

DeathMarkz Regular Member

Is it possible to actually get or string with fake strings?The strings strung has the words 'BG 66 Ultimax' though and does not look amiss to me.I do also notice that his strings had a smell of calamine lotion,I asked him why and he said that it was recommended to put some lotion or lubricant on the string is this true or fake? I know nothing about strings by the way.

3. DeathMarkz

I kind of spent all my money and didn't have much left so I went for something cheaper is there a problem there?Plus I also read the feedback that was given to him and the feedback was alright so why not.I know that I am stupid,inexperienced and should have went to the shop but I think there is no need to get mad over one stringing job and use vulgarities here.I also don't know why shops charge so much more and feel that they do not need to charge so much but now after you told me why,I finally understand.Thanks for enlightening me :)

4. myy_yyc

myy_yyc New Member

One reel of bg66 ultimax should cost about $20 more than bg65, translating into about $1 per racket. I have never seen a place that would charge the same for bg65, bg80 and bg66 ultimax. Normally they would charge a bit more than just the price differential of the string.

And yes, there are fake strings, they may look the same as authentic ones but they will certainly play and feel differently. Putting lubricant on the string seems to me a pretty bad idea, it will affect the feel especially when you want to play a spinning net shot.

5. Junye

Junye Regular Member

Evening Badminton Player.
    cut it... and get it strung again....and forever avoid this free lance stringer at all cost. (haha and let us know who he is)
    Singapore stringing is pretty cheap unless you string every week....... find a good stringer... replace your grommets.

6. DeathMarkz

Yea,it seems like thats what I have to do since everyone is saying thats the only way out.I already shared the carousell account of that stringer in a previous comment in the top.Do you know where is a good place to restring rackets in Singapore or a good place to recommend me?Thanks for your advice :)

7. Junye

Junye Regular Member

There are plenty actually. it's all down to personal preference... out of the few i tried before.... i only like smashingmax (bedok) and e-link (amk).
    i'm sure the rest of the SG guys can share with you their favourites too. Cheers!

8. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Here you will get charged the same, irrespective of string.
    Manhours are the biggest cost anyway.

9. Junye

Junye Regular Member

At my usual place bg80 cost like 19SGD, 12-13 EUR.

10. Furholden

Furholden Regular Member

This is an example of a self-entitled person who wants quality service at dirt cheap prices. I'm not a stringer but I totally feel you.

11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

As a hobby stringer, I also do charge the same price for most of the strings I have on stock. It's called mixed calculation. With BG65 I earn a bit more, with LN1 a bit less, but it evens out in average. Coming from reels, the big sellers like BG65, BG80 and LN1 are within a 1,- EUR span per set. Main reason for me was to keep things easy, and so far it has worked well. I can't recall a single client who decided for e.g. LN1 just because it was the "best deal" for him.

The only difference I make is for RKEP TI70 as my low-cost offer mainly for kids or other "price sensitive" clients... :)

12. Furholden

Furholden Regular Member

That's interesting. Given your prices are flat across the board, what's the most popular string in your area?

13. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

It depends. BG65 is most popular amongst hobby players who in fact only want to have maximum durability. For club team and tournament players it's BG80 with LN1 being on the rise to a close second place. The latter mainly due to myself recommending it quite a lot. :)

I have some sets of ZM62F and 69F on stock, but they have become serious shelf warmers. Other strings I only order on special requests - of course that goes with a different price to cover extra shipping costs etc.

14. Furholden

Furholden Regular Member

Ah, that's exactly what was on my mind. However I didn't expect them to really use BG80 in conjunction with another string.

BG80 is an excellent string by its own merit.

15. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    You live in a better place of germany full of saintful players and club members. :D Here I can't set the prices equally. Somebody will calculate it for me and will try to nego.

I made the experience that somebody brought me a new unstrung rackets with a set of strings and asked for 30lbs. I normally replace grommets as all inclusive. He asked and nego to lower the price because I don't spend time and costs to change grommets. He wanted 1€ discount. I also had a guy who asked for 12 hour (at 9PM) return for a tournament, but picked up his rackets 3 weeks later. I regular refuse such psychos, now. But I don't live at a beautiful place. :(

16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Just to make sure you didn't get me wrong. I'm not doing hybrid string jobs (yet?), it's either full BG80 or full LN1.

Yeah, we all know how the people in the south (die Schwaben, du weißt schon) are known for being generous. Not. o_O

But let's not forget that you are doing a lot more jobs than me so there is a higher chance to meet all sorts of wackos. :confused:

I had less than a handful of club mates asking why I charge the same for BG65 and BG80 but most of them have no idea how much a set of strings costs at all. But in general my clients are indeed very nice and relaxed. They appreciate that there is someone in the club who strings their rackets quickly and for a fair price so that they don't have to bring them to a shop that charges more, takes longer and still provides questionable results.

I'm happy that I do my stringing as a hobby only. I'm sure it's a totally different game if you do it professionally. As many other jobs out there, it's a bloody hard way to earn a living.

#36 s_mair, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  17. razorei

razorei Regular Member

student
    As a hobby stringer I also think that it's a very difficult job if I have to do that all day (my back don't really like the treatment)

But I think the worse is not the guys like Paul or Mark but the ones that string non stop 12h a day in yonex's factory for 300$ per day...
    I don't know how long they can do that

18. myy_yyc

myy_yyc New Member

Bro,

You certainly over estimated the pay scale of factory stringers.

http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/content/oldcontent/s2465031.htm

Even the tournament stringers are mostly volunteers. There is a small team of the very top stringers that yonex fly around the world, they probably make good money.

19. razorei

razorei Regular Member

student
    Lol I meant per month :p

20. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    The worst is when you have a buddy who calls you on saturday evening at 9:30pm for doing two rackets and picking them up on sunday next morning at 7:00am. If you string for hobby, a lot people won't respect your life and leisure time. If your shop is closed, there is nothing what a customer can do, but as a hobby without opening hours? People will not respect it. Once you made an exception for a good friend or team mate, even people who normally don't talk with you will get you on the nerves on weekends. IMO the worst is not the amount of rackets, because you know when they need to be done due scheduling and can organize your time, but catching you icy cold in your leisure time to do a racket, which you don't even know to be done and must be done asap is IMO even worse.