Anybody successfully recovered from tennis elbow?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by white91, Jun 10, 2017.

1. white91

white91 Regular Member

I'm pretty miserable that I cannot shake my tennis elbow injury!

I first injured it in February 2016, not actually playing badminton, in April I had a cortisone injection, which worked, then the injury returned in November 2016, I had another injection in January 2017, again this worked, until it returned in May 2017.

Doctor has sent me for an X-ray now to rule out bone damage.

It seems every time I use my elbow it's a waiting game for the injury to return. It's really painful day to day, let alone playing badminton.

Has anybody had success in recovering?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. visor

visor Regular Member

I'm going through something similar myself, having injured it in a dive when my body landed on it crushing it on the ground 2 months ago. So it's my joint that hurts, not the epicondyle. Icing helps me a lot. And so does ibuprofen or naproxen. It has improved maybe by 50%, but it still bothers me, affecting my play.

How did you injure it originally?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What other physiotherapy exercises have you been recommended?

4. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    I have tennis elbow though from not any specific injury, just mostly from a s**t-ton of playing. I lowered my racket tension 1 pound when I got it restrung a few months ago and it was either that that helped or it was just time to get better. It didn't happen overnight but gradually over a month or so I realized the pain was going away.

Then I broke my strings and re-strung it again about a month ago but forgot about the 1 pound lower and had it restrung at 24, my usual. It hurt again but not as much and now, after wearing an LP brace it's not so bad as it was before and it feels like it's on the way to recovery. I also use some chinese goop to help it and I really think it works. Much more than cortizone.

I also notice that if I write a lot (with my hands, not type) my elbow will hurt more if I play that night. Also, I tend to sleep with my hand under my head, so my elbow is at least 90 degrees and that really hurt me a lot. So I've slowly trained myself to sleep with my arms more relaxed, only slightly bent. So maybe pay attention to how you use your arm and elbow during the day to find points of pain.

I also stretch my arm and shoulder like crazy before play, and sometimes just during my day (google "tennis elbow" on youtube to find some good stretches). If I don't it tends to hurt more and quickly.

I'm not gonna say I've "recovered" from it, but 6 months ago it was pretty miserable and hurt all the time, and now it has lessened a lot, despite my continual playing. I never took a break to heal it and have played regularly 5-6 times a week since it started hurting me. So it can be overcome. But slowly. And there isn't just one trick to heal it, but more of a combination of many (for me anyway).

Also, I used the pain to realize where I was hitting it wrong. I realized my racket grip was too tight, or my fingers were wrong, or power was coming from the wrong place. So I used my pain as a guide (and luckily I have a coach. So I would just say "that hurts my elbow!" and he would say what I was doing wrong to fix it.)

Cheung likes this.
  5. white91

white91 Regular Member

I injured it mixing a strong adhesive for plasterboard!

I have tried braces, icing and naproxen, nothing has worked apart from the injection.

My doctor has not mentioned physiotherapy, despite the amount of national insurance I bloody pay!

I'm hoping this X-ray will help diagnose the problem, but really they should give me an MRI scan, but they don't because they cost so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Then it is something you can consider. I had golfers elbow, went to the physio and got diagnosed with lower body and trunk muscle imbalances. I had various points of muscle tension. I was taught some different lower body stretching exercises, had to build up my left leg (I am right handed), started carrying my bag on left shoulder. I had become a bit lazy over stretching exercises over some years. I had coaching before and play to a decent standard so technique issues were not as significant as other people.

You already have a diagnosis. X ray and MRI wont cure you.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Dang, that must have been some crazy strong adhesive!

Agree with Cheung. Xray and MRI won't add more to the diagnosis. Nothing is broken. Just simple overuse lateral epicondylitis, ie tennis elbow. You'll benefit from physio and some stretching exercises you can google online and on youtube.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

8. white91

white91 Regular Member

Thanks guys I've been for an X-ray today, I think to rule out any bone fragments that may be affecting the elbow.

Another two weeks now before I can get back in to see the doctor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. ah.b|ack

ah.b|ack Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    I got it from using VT80 a few years ago LOL Luckily the shop was being super awesome and did a full refund for me, and I got the VT70 instead.

When I first got it, it was icing EVERYDAY. I remembered I did it 2-3 times a day, around 15mins each. The most important thing is NOT TO PLAY UNTIL YOU REST IT LONG ENOUGH (I stayed off for 2 months). Then you need to change your racket into a more forgiving one.

After that period of "recovery" time, I applied heat pad after game (not immediately, it's like go back home after bath). Till today, I have no issue with it, although I have developed great fear of extra stiff racket haha...

Just be patience

10. white91

white91 Regular Member

I know what you are saying about patience but is has been nearly 18 months now, I've ran out of patience!

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

So, have you done any lower body, upper body and arm stretches?

I also agree with not using too stiff a racquet and that it should not vibrate a lot.

12. ah.b|ack

ah.b|ack Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    Perhaps I can suggest that you get those heat pad and apply it to your elbow every night before you sleep. The heat will promote your blood circulation around your elbow area. Do it long enough and you should see improvement like I did.

Your elbow is sreaming pain means you got into its way while it's healing. So if possible, stay away from badminton for couple of weeks. I couldn't even hold a racket during the first few weeks and I had to stay off the court for months. If you too eager to go back and start playing too soon, the pain will surely comes back.

Patience, means you have to pay more effort o the healing (heat treatment + massage + light stretching) and stay away from "temptation" haha...

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

13. white91

white91 Regular Member

Yes I do the stretches the doctor said would help.

I also haven't played badminton since April or even held a racket!

Doctor admits I should have healed from tennis elbow after nearly 18 months, hence the X-ray to check any bone damage.

I'm sure they will do another injection, then in a few months I will be back to square one again.

14. ah.b|ack

ah.b|ack Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    Maybe pay a visit to Traditional Chinese Medicine?

15. guitar_pic

guitar_pic Regular Member

MIS Sales Consultant
    I have also been suffering from tennis elbow for the last 3 months. I initially tried self treatments like stretching and icing and wearing several type of bands. No relief at all.

Started seeing a sports physiotherapist 3 weeks ago and he has been popping my elbow joint and also using acupuncture to try to break down the scar tissue in my forearm. But I am still not seeing any signs that it is getting better. I have even bought a home handheld ultrasound unit and also a electric muscle simulator to see if that would help in between physio sessions..........

This is soo frustrating.....and to be honest......I am starting to feel depressed about this injury.

16. guitar_pic

MIS Sales Consultant
    Is anyone here actually getting any sort of pain reduction when using a elbow band? I have tried several and none of them work. Elbow compression sleeves don't work as well.

17. white91

white91 Regular Member

Hopefully next week I can get yet another injection and start getting some physio

guitar_pic likes this.
  18. guitar_pic

MIS Sales Consultant
    Good luck. Are those shots painful? How soon does the pain go away? Actually how safe are those shots?

19. white91

white91 Regular Member

They are quite painful, but the pain is gone instantly! Mine was a little sore for 48hrs due to the injection. However I fear it only masks the pain and I've had it done twice and twice the pain has returned.

I might try ultrasound, did you notice any difference at all?

Doctor said the next step is to inject my own blood!

20. guitar_pic

MIS Sales Consultant
    No improvement from using ultrasound unfortunately. I have seen videos of a "cold laser" therapy, but I have not asked about that yet.