Dented frame after stringing. Help..

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Nikeroshe, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Nikeroshe

Nikeroshe Regular Member

Hi all, I have only just started stringing not too long ago, my machine is a 2-point mount. After my last string job (28x29lbs) I noticed my racket frame is dented and cracked at the 12o'clock position right where it was mounted. Could someone with experience please help me out:
    1. Could stretching the racket too much when mounting it be the cause of this?
    2. Would using a load spreader at the 12 o'clock help to prevent or reduce this?
    Other than that I cannot think of any reason why this has happened. The frame is ZF2 and relatively new so it should be a tank. I have attached a picture as well. Many thanks

#1 Nikeroshe, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  2. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    The short answer to both questions are Yes and Yes. You can search "high noon disease" in this forum as this is what you are experiencing.

At the tensions you are stringing with a 2 point machine will put a lot of stress on those 2 points. I am not surprised it is denting or cracking.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

icewater888 and Cheung like this.
  3. Nikeroshe

Nikeroshe Regular Member

Thank you kindly. So simple solutions are to stretch the frame less, use a load spreader and possibly reduce the tension? Anything else I could do to prevent this problem?

4. DarthHowie

Priority is not overstretching the frame and then the load spreader. I wouldn't feel comfortable stringing without a load spreader at those tensions.

Safest route is to start low..and then work your way up in tension especially if you are new to stringing. Learning to string at the starting tension is high.

Good luck!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Super85 likes this.
  5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Newbie strings 29 lbs. on a 2-point machine without a loadspreader. That's begging for trouble if you ask me.

robfitsy and ucantseeme like this.
  6. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    If you are stringing to these tensions regularly, I'd suggest you replace your machine with a 6pt one. Load spreaders are not essential but it helps to reduce stress and marks on the frame.

Even the best stringers stringing at high tensions can break a racquet on a 2 pt machine as the racquet may already have underlying problems that cannot easily be seen.

ucantseeme likes this.
  7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Tbh, the best solution is to get away from a 2 point and buy a 6 point. You can stay with your 2 point and waste 2+ high end rackets. 2 highends are the same price of a 6 point and a load spreader. No offense, but people who go for the cheapest machine and most expensive rackets will end up with no rackets...

Super85, visor, s_mair and 1 other person like this.
  8. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Agree with the above, get a 6 point machine. I wouldn't go over 24lb with a 2 point machine.

DarthHowie likes this.
  9. DarthHowie

I was thinking the same thing too, but since he is a relatively new stringer I didn't want to suggest changing machines. At minimum the load spreader would be needed. The OP did mention that he was using a new ZFII which makes me sad =(.

If you're learning:
    1) Read the stickies in this forum FIRST
    2) Secure your racket to supports. Do not over tighten them. A quick check is to tighten and then loosen..if you see the frame change shape drastically, you are probably over tightening it. So when you tighten it back you can make an adjustment as to how far you turn the knob.
    3) Start with tensions less than 25 lbs especially on a 2 point machine (i started with 20lbs - and use cheap string not the stuff you regularly use since you would cut the string off and do it again to get repetition and practice).
    4) I would do # 3 at least 5-10 times to build a habit before going up higher in tension (maybe 2 lbs at a time).
    5) Observe your string job afterwards (inspect stress points on frame)

* if you have a practice racket...use that first.

#9 DarthHowie, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    s_mair likes this.
  10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

A load spreader will definitely help, but I would 100% get a proper 6-point machine if you're using serious tension.

11. Nikeroshe

Nikeroshe Regular Member

Thank you so much guys for your input. Problem is I'm a student and on a really tight budget, my machine now was given to me. What would be the best 6-point machine to get on a budget? Realistically I can stretch at most to around 150 quid..

12. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    None, unfortunately. Certainly none that I know of. They tend to start at about 300. I paid about 320 for mine plus extras for the badminton clamps.

I would strongly suggest using lighter - significantly lighter - tensions.

DarthHowie likes this.
  13. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Only option with that budget is to look out for a used machine. Although you have to make absolutely sure that you get a badminton compatible machine and clamps.

But look at it the other way round. As already mentioned, a decent 6-point machine is only a bit more than two ZF2s away. If you hadn't killed the first one, you would have been halfway there.

14. DarthHowie

@Nikeroshe - well i guess the only other option if you can't afford a different machine and don't want to buy new rackets:

1) string your rackets at lower tensions.
    And to mimic the feel of higher tension rackets you would then substitute and use thinner string at lower tensions 23-25 lbs. It will have similar feel (i'm just generalizing to simplify and not over complicate things for you) to thicker strings at higher tension.

Personally i use Gosen G-Tone 5s (0.65mm) at 26lbs. As i got better i kept swapping for thinner strings yet keeping the tension.
    And to be fair the whole I use X tension and I use Y Tension sometimes becomes a "mine is bigger than yours" conversation and i really have no interest in that. This is a good opportunity to find what fits you best now that you have a machine.

Good luck. Don't be afraid to experiment!

visor likes this.
  15. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Definitely +1000 for G-Tone 5

16. Nikeroshe

Nikeroshe Regular Member

Thanks guys, gonna keep a lookout on Ebay now for used machines, as far as clamps go I have 4 yonex flying clamps and a starting clamp so that is enough for the job? (in case the machine fixed clamps are not badminton compatible)

String wise I normally string GT5 at 26lbs as well but just recently bought a couple of LN No.1 to try and it just feels dead at the same tension so I decided to crank up the tension by a couple of lbs... GT5 feels a better string overall. Anyone have experience this as well?

17. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Flying clamps work fine, I have one for extra utility anyway.

I would try g tone 5 if anywhere in the UK stocked it that wouldn't charge 2 quid for shipping a tiny item.

18. Nikeroshe

Nikeroshe Regular Member

You can always sign up to stringersworld with a new email and get a fiver off orders under 50 ;)

Anyways how do people rate the Pro's Pro Pilot? Im not very fond of the crank tensioner but can it be replaced with a PP drop weight?

19. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Avoid pros pro

20. Nikeroshe

Nikeroshe Regular Member

Thing is I found a PP Pilot for cheap, but it doesnt come with the crank tension mechanism so I'm wondering if anyone ever tried to put a drop weight on it, and I don't really need its clamp anyways I can use my flying clamps for now and save up for some fixed clamps in the future. But the real question is if the PP Pilot is a good base?