Dented frame after stringing. Help..

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Nikeroshe, Aug 17, 2017.

1. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    FME a flying clamp job is nearly 2lbs lower than a fixed one. This means you need to clock higher. I agree with @DarthHowie that lowering tension is no shame and as long as you are happy no stated number to anybody play a role. I disagree a bit on the part that a thinner string at lower tension can mimic a thicker string at higher tension. I play in the 0.68 to 0.70 mm area and even I get hit the same frequency with the thinner string at around 0.65mm, I would always go for a thicker one. The feel is absolute different to me. What I can tell is that a softer string need a few lbs more to feel as close as a hard one.

As a stringer it would be very unsatisfying to me to choose a string and tension as compromise because I use a low machine which can't do what I want with joy. Normally the step to buy a stringing machine is mostly based on the reason to be independent and choosing whatever you want. If you are tight on budget, I would prefer to play a while with cheap equipment to save money. Even if you lower the tension it's just gambling when you have the next goner, even when you drop the tension. BTW thin strings need a lot of intense grommet service or expensive high quality grommets, so the next goner because of a different reason could be in the pipe.

2. Chan1011

Chan1011 Regular Member

Ouch that sucks! If you're continuing to use that machine, spend a few dollars on a load spreader!!

It's not worth it if you're just constantly breaking rackets, then stringing yourself will end up costing you more than having a pro-shop do it.

3. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Ok, so, which brand of 6-point machine that's affordable and yet very good would you recommend?

4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

If you wanna go low cost but with decent quality, then consider a PremiumStringer 3600. In case your budget is a bit higher, then have a look at the Gamma X-6FC.
    Stay away from Eagnas or Pro's Pro.

5. badmintony

Thanks bro, will check out on those PremiumStringer or Gamma:)

6. hieucdub

hieucdub Regular Member

Is the Eagnas 6-point mount that bad?

7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I can only speak about Pro's Pro from my own experience, but afaik the same goes for Eagnas:

The mounts, the clamps, the bases, the gripper... it's hard to say what's the worst bit. These machines are not supporting the stringer, they seem to be constantly fighting against him.

8. hieucdub

hieucdub Regular Member

Oh my... In a couple days Im going to pick up a second hand drop weight 6-point Eagnas machine for 30 quid to start stringing with. I'm just worried about the mounts really, as it doesn't have fixed clamps so I'll be using the flying clamps. Hopefully it's not going to mess my rackets up..

9. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

What clamps you have won't affect the racket at all, only the resulting stringjob, so don't worry about not having fixed clamps.

10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

At least for Pro's Pro it seems like the older machines had a significantly better quality than the latest ones. If it's the same for Eagnas, than maybe going for an old and used one isn't the worst move. And come on, how bad can it be for only 30 Pounds? And personally, I would prefer good flying clamps (Yonex or HiQua) to bad fixed clamps any day.

What will be more important is the correct positioning of the side supports. There is a lot of valuable information in here
    =>http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...supports-on-your-machine.136358/#post-2179060

And if you want to make sure and reduce the risk, start with lower tensions first and maybe post a picture of a mounted racket in here.

11. adrianh

adrianh Regular Member

For your budget i would definitely go for the pro's pro shuttle express. I have strung maybe 20 rackets on it and only had minor problems with it; spend a minute to calibrate it before every job and it should give consistent results.

12. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

But you really have to do this before every job.

And it still doesn't. The force at which the break locks depends on the height where you grip the string and about 1mm difference in height already makes a lot of difference. That's just one thing that makes working with the shuttle express difficult if you want to achieve consistency.

13. adrianh

adrianh Regular Member

But it does? I never had my tension deviate more than 0.5lb from the tension i set. Based on frequency and stringster

14. badmintony

I need your help here guys. 3rd time I had my JS12 re-strung and 3rd time it got some dents on the frame:(
    I'm posting a pictures of what happened to it but these are pictures of the 2nd time the racket got dents. Now it has additional 2 more dents.
    It was done by the same stringer who's been doing my racket for a long time now but I was just wondering why this has been happening
    lately. He just re-strung one of my voltric rackets recently and there was no problem. But with the JS12, there were dents.
    The li-ning that I also had re-strung along with the JS12 did have one minor denting also, and this really kind of pisses me off.

I just want to know from you guys if this is simply a case of careless job, like maybe clamping (or whatever term that is) the racket too tight on the machine or the materials on the JS12 is kind of poor like a QC issue 1.jpg 2.jpg 5.jpg ?

15. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    @badmintony Hard to judge from the pics if just the sticker got a bubble (some rackets like the ZFI were prone to this too) or if he made a real dent.

I think that he don't retight the 6 o'oclock position when he pulle the first 2 mains or overtighten the side supports or strung at a ratio which is not perfect for his machine. Also a bad angle of the side supports can give a small area with more pressure or he just use hard side supports. If it's just on one side and not on both i think he use L suppurts instead of C ones. This gives a lot more pressure in a smaller area.

That the Jetspeeds are weaker and softer frames are known due the sinking holes issue. Maybe a combination of all. Sloppy mounting routine, hard side supports at bad angle and a soft frame. I feel your pain.

16. badmintony

I really have no idea what could've gone wrong in the stringing procedure but it could've been one of the reasons you mentioned since I just thought that this is not normal. There were real dents on the frame as in when you inspect them carefully or run your fingers through them there are chipping-like damages just like what you usually get when you've had a clash. Please see attached picture. 3.jpg

17. aril79

aril79 Regular Member

not sure about the machine that you use, but my 2-points klippermate is doing 34lbs quite frequently, and it doing just fine. furthermore, I have to add 0.5kg dumbell plate to the drop-weight to achieve that tension, so I really pushed the machine. to me what important is to be gentle when pulling the tension. avoid any erratic movement.
    in my case, I found that not the machine or my rackets that limit my high tension stringing, but the string itself. my bg65ti snapped on first attempt to do 36lbs, the snap creates a huge impact and that cracks my last vt80 as a result. so to be safe i limit my stringing to 34lbs, and that will remain as long as I stick with bg65ti