What is Yonex Powercushion?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by dave010, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

I prefer SHB-65 (SHB-65X to be precise) rather than SHB-02LTD in terms of heel cushioning. I found SHB-02LTD's heel cushioning is too stiff and that of SHB-SC5 too soft for me. In this respect, SHB-65X is just perfect.
    I think it's because we have different preferences in heel cushioning, let alone other parts, Yonex is working hard to creat different models to cater different needs ;)

2. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

I'm not referring to the amount of cushioning in the sole, but the heel counter which holds your heel in place. That needs to be stiff in order to avoid spraining ankles. If it's too flexible, your foot will move independently of the sole... and that is a very bad thing in badminton.

vyshagh likes this.
  3. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

So SHB-02LTD still cannot meet your need in terms of heel counter ?

4. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

IMHO, the stiffness of heel counters of different badminton shoes should not be homogenous.

5. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

Why do you think they shouldn't be?

6. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

Cos after the saftey level is reached, each individual should have his/her own choice of stiffness of heel counter in accord with individual preference. Just like the case of the level of heel cushioning.

7. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

I disagree that the stiffness of a shoe is personal preference. From an engineering standpoint, the shoe should be a stiff as possible for a certain amount of weight. For example, the chassis of a sportscar is made as stiff as possible (road cars here) and it makes no sense in "preferring" a less stiff chassis.

8. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

That's why I've said "after safety level is reached" ;)

All heel counters should reach the minimum level of stiffness for safety reason. Beyond that , it's up to a cosumer's individual preference.

9. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

There is no such thing as a minimum level of stiffness for safety. If I am playing like a beginner, I could play barefoot or in flip flops. On the other hand, a heavy male pro ala Viktor Axelsen or Chen Long is going to need a much more stiff shoe. I'm simply trying to point out that the stiffer shoe is going to be more responsive to foot movements and changes in direction, performing better in general. In your words, a consumer who prefers a better performing shoe would prefer more stiffness. This is something that is good for all players, and is independent of individual preferences. The fact is that there are too many shoes on the market that just don't do a good enough job.

10. dolbydog

dolbydog Regular Member

In 40 years of playing in over 100 pair of indoor court shoes have luckily not come close to spraining an ankle. I have mildly sprained some ankles in vollleyball but nothing more than a week off. I'm probably too recreational for badminton but have had team mates that played Nationals and the Olympics for volleyball. I think the Yonex 87 or 65 series are pretty good. I never got used to the stiff mid sole of the 02 or the Quattro fit. Most basketball and high end volleyball shoes are just too stiff in the midsole and I can't bend them as I have small feet. These tend to aggravate plantar fasciitis problems.

Mizuno also did a similar egg dropping campaign in the 80's with Sorbothane as their main cushioning system, before the Wave was invented. I have never had a problem with heel counters and have used all the major brands. I worry about movement and turning ankles when the heels are too high or not well rounded.

11. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

Just out of curiosity, what size do you wear?

12. dolbydog

dolbydog Regular Member

@dave010
    I'm 5"5 or 166 cm and used to wear US size 7 and have now aged to 7.5 and 8 or 25cm, 25.5, 26cm. We used to wear the original Tiger TVR that are sometimes "Retroed" now at Asics, Puma or even Zara, as our court shoes. Also, "Dragonfly" type of shoes were worn by the top players in Asia. I always wanted to learn to run distance but was not good. However, I was the fastest sprinter in Toronto at age 13 and met Ben Johnson.
    Then, everyone else hit puberty :)

dave010 likes this.
  13. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

If you think size 7.5/8 at 5' 5" is bad, try being those size at 6' 1". I basically wreck shoes. :p
    I'm in Toronto too! Where do you play?

14. dolbydog

dolbydog Regular Member

Sure, np. I'm downtown and usually play at Ryerson, or Epic in Scarborough. We can meet up anywhere. DM me. At your size, I would recommend Canuck stuff in Scarborough for shoes. They have lots of previous years models at big discounts. Probably Mizuno or Asics would be good as they are also top running shoe brands.

15. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

I've never had mizunos. How do they fit?

16. dolbydog

dolbydog Regular Member

I have never really had issues with any brands "fit". Some shoes from the same manufacturer might even be different. Mizuno were one of the first jogging brands with "heel counter" tech. The other was probably New Balance. I really would recommend Canuck. It's the largest selection of indoor court shoes in North America.

17. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

I've visited them already :)

18. dena

dena New Member

I prefer SHB-65. SHB-02LTD's heel cushioning is too stiff. In this respect.

19. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

I feel like the heel cushioning has always been adequate in most shoes, but it's the forefoot cushioning that's really lacking in many. When landing from jumps, it's the forefoot that impacts first.

20. Okaharu

Okaharu Regular Member

totally agree, I experience the same. This is especially evident with the wear and tear of the insole.
    two of the insoles of my new SHB65 started showing wearing at the forefoot within the first month of use and blisters soon followed :(
    currently, using some cheap scholl insoles as a temporary replacement but i find they lack support and have a rather slippery surface
    anyone got any suggestions? the yonex ones don't seem to fit well with me...

dave010 likes this.