Stringing +2 on cross and recommended tension

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by bdmtfreak, Aug 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bdmtfreak

bdmtfreak Regular Member

Just a quick question about tension for all you stringers out there.

If someone requests 27lb, do yo guys string 26 x 28lb? or do you string 25 x 27lb?

2. Mr Arc2

Mr Arc2 Regular Member

it riddles me how you can even think of 25x27 as being equal to 27 lb. either you go 26x28 or you go 27x27...4 knots=26x28, 2 knots 27²

3. bdmtfreak

bdmtfreak Regular Member

But if the max recommended tension is 27lb, its okay to do 26 x 28? Because you are going over 27lb

4. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

It doesn't matter how you do it, as long as you use the same ratio for all your string jobs and the racket shape stays the same.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

s_mair and bdmtfreak like this.
  5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

In fact it's not uncommon that the ordered tension defines the tension of the crosses with having lower tension on the mains. @Mark A is doing it that way afaik just to name one BC-benchmark. And besides, why would you do different ratios depending if you're doing 1-piece or 2-piece?

On modern rackets, there is always a maximum warrantied tension for mains and the crosses written on the cone. If you string it above the limit (either mains or crosses), techincally the warranty is void - even if it's just by 1 lb.
    In reality, it will be impossible to prove such a slight "overclocking" in case of a warranty claim. As far as we know, e.g. Yonex checks how much the string has been stretched during the string process by measuring the length of their logos and markings on the string which is still on the broken racket. They will be able to tell apart a 24 lbs. from a 32 lbs. string job that way, but no chance for 1 lb. difference imo.

Exactly this.

thyrif likes this.
  6. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

One argument in favour of going down in main's tension and not crosses up is that the length of the mains increases in the finished racket due to the weaving of the crosses. Increased length means the actual tension of the mains will be higher in the finished string bed.

I suspect it is the main reason for why we do this 2 lbs difference.

Also, don't automatically use 2 lbs but check what actual difference you need to use for your machine in order to keep the racket shape unchanged after stringing....

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

My machine likes square at the low end and +1 at the high end.

My "test" has always and only ever been "does the racket come out with equal stress from all contact support points?" If it does, you've done right by your machine.

FeatherBlaster and Bugbait like this.
  8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

If a customer orders 27 lbs., do you do 26 x 27 or 27 x 28 (assuming that 27 lbs. already passes as higher end...;))?

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

("High-end" is 30+ in our house;))

I take the quoted number to be the cross tension - one down for the mains - whether square or +1. I know people who split the difference (Paul is one), but I don't know anybody who goes one up for the crosses.

s_mair likes this.
  10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I knew that something like this was coming! :D

11. Bugbait

Bugbait Regular Member

This. I've tried square and +0.5lbs increments up to +2lbs and anything other than square results in narrowing of the racket, worse as I add more. The +2lbs looked so narrow I had to cut it out without playing with it.

12. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Exactly - that's how you learn: try stuff out;).

I used to measure the before and after width/length ratios myself - if you've got it right, they should be the same - but these days I can tell by the feel as the racket comes out of the machine.

Yours must be a good one; the less differential it needs, the better the support mechanism is, IME.

13. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO also the clamping, gauge and stringing technique and speed are factors. Mine come out the same as went in. More than 1lbs will make them narrow on my machine. At lower tension I can do square.

FeatherBlaster likes this.
  14. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

I do.

And I add whatever I feel is the right amount, to get the job too notch.

If it depends on the machine, how much you need to add, then logically mains should be the reference point for getting close to the same result across different machines.

Currently I add +5-6% with PS and +8-9% without PS.

I don't think it matters, and I tell some clients (if they are into these details) that my jobs ping higher than those stringers who let the crosses define the tension or average it out.

I think what really matters are consistency in your jobs.

Cheers,
    FB

15. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    A 30 request is done by me a 29x30 on my machine, @Mark A you would do 30x30 or 29x30? Paul would do 29,5 x 30,5, right? @FeatherBlaster you would do 30 x 31,5 with PS and 30 x 32,4 without PS, right?

Let's imagine we all get Mark as customer. I would do 32/33, Paul 32,5/33,5 and featherblaster 33/35,6, right? IMO a strange thing.

16. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I play it by ear when it gets serious (i.e. 30+) - if I think it's a strong frame I use square. Otherwise, -1 for the mains. For example, I do my personal K9900s as 33/33 or 33/34 depending on string.

17. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

I rarely do 30+ jobs and 31 is the max so far. And I'd never go more than +2 for crosses.
    So a 33 request would probably end up 33x35 here.
    Btw: I don't add until the 2nd/3rd cross.
    Apart from that, I'm with Mark on the go by feel... When I take a strung racket off the machine, I check the pressure on 6 and 12 o'clock posts.

Cheers,
    FB

18. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

When the crosses are pulled, the mains go slightly tighter.
    The mains may go in at 25, but that will increase by 5-10% when all the crosses are in.

19. Chan1011

Chan1011 Regular Member

I've been using +10% for cross, this is with a +10% PS across the board.

So far the frame seems to maintain a good shape and plays well for me :)