Goh V Shem/Tan Wee Kiong

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by xsakurax, May 25, 2014.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Really? I find Tan much better than Goh at MD. Tan is the one I think who is limited by Goh in their pairing. And Tan is the one who can offer better experience and mentoring to upcoming junior MD players.

2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

But i think the downfall of this pair is Tan's performance.

He is clearly injured. In MensDouble, injury means deathNote. He clearly has the same injury that Natsir carried since last year. Its inoperable yet its incontinuable for him.

3. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

DeathNote, yet Natsir just won another world champion
    very DeathNote it is
    hahahha

4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Nah. Tan is definitely the weaker of the two imo. They are both relatively inconsistent which is a shame for such talented individuals but Tan for me is a decent all rounder but does not excel in any particular area. GVS is also a good all rounder but is very strong in the rear court. One of the best around at the moment.

Part of me is glad that they are splitting as I have always considered that this pairing will not be a dominating force, certainly not consistently so. As I have stated previously, they are both imo the same type of player. They both seem to feel most comfortable in the rear court. Whilst Tan does a reasonable job at the net he simply is not a natural net player and so he does not support Goh enough to make this pairing consistently among the best in the sport. In all Tan's previous pairings he has always enjoyed attacking from the rear court, which he does quite well. But compared to Goh, his smash is still a little weaker.

They are a bit like Chai Bao/Hong Wei as there is no obvious strong net player/net finisher, which I think is essential for modern MD.

Tan/Goh are great when they are playing well, particularly if they manage to get the attack but against the best defenders or players that never lift they will struggle.

For me BAM's best hope for MD glory is GVS and they need to give him a good net player to pair up with. I don't know anything about his new junior partner but if he is good at the net and can click with GVS, they will be the ones to watch.

Hannibal127 and justinloong like this.
  5. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

exactly bro.. GVS need a good setter for him to fully function as rear court player.
    Tan is good but not consistent in front court..

Anyway, hope they found a good partners.

6. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

BAM need to look for the players that can play front court and back court...

7. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    The trouble is, outstanding front court players are a scarce commodity. KKK was probably the last one that Malaysia produced.

8. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Teo Ee Yi is a great front court player, but mostly he makes mistakes.

9. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Then its time BAM to call any lawyer, judge or magistret for some badminton trials to know which "court" they can perform better............what the heck i am talking about @#?!+$

10. Shuttlingus

Shuttlingus Regular Member

In general i understand your point but it's also worth making the distinction that GVS is not the same type of backcourt player as FHF for example... GVS won't be the one smashing repeatedly all game and creating opportunities for the front court player en masse. He seems more of the killer rally-ending smash kind of guy and enjoys playing with someone who is utterly ruthless at the net.

This is what Tan can do if he's on form hence why they have achieved good results in the past, but as R20190 points out Tan is also not a natural front court player and probably misses playing at the back, but unfortunately for him GVS is simply a superior back court player in pretty much every way.

Hence why Tan is stuck in two worlds - preference for all round play and enjoyment of backcourt attack vs. being required to play at the front to make the best of their partnership. I'm not sure he will ever be able to convert his playstyle to be exclusively front court/setter and therefore IMO he will never be able to get the best out of GVS.

11. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

New pairup, not final:
    Goh V Shem/Teo Ee Yi
    Tan Wee Kiong/Ong Yew Sin

12. Master

Master Regular Member

They've been registered in French SS :cool: and Goh Sze Fei/Nur Izzudin would accompany them as well in French SS.

Bitburger Open & Macau Open are the next possible tournaments they would join

13. Bugsy

Bugsy Regular Member

First, he has to improve his upper body strength and overall the physical fitness..seems to tire out easily

14. Shuttlingus

Shuttlingus Regular Member

Reminiscent of KKK... without the mad skills though.

TEY is a bit unreliable and makes basic errors... not sure how we that will go down with GVS who is normally very consistent.

15. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

so who's the best partner with GVS so far...?

16. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

apparently, no one is good enought for him at the moment. Maybe he can retire and be like TBH, try another country's player. perhaps, he can get LYD back into playing?

17. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    LCW would be a great net player, he can consider retire his single and move to pair with GVS.
    Or 2 deadly rear court players with GVS pair with TBH.

18. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    GVS/LYD sounds unlikely, but I'd love to see that.

alien9113 and KB@TB Em like this.
  19. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

may happen in upcoming purple league season...

waterboy, swsh, samkool and 1 other person like this.
  20. Master

Master Regular Member

Men’s doubles may need another reshuffle after unconvincing results
    Wednesday, 8 Nov 2017

PETALING JAYA: The men’s doubles department could be set for another reshuffle after less than impressive campaigns at the French Open and Bitburger Open.

Head coach Cheah Soon Kit’s decision to team up Goh V Shem (pic)-Teo Ee Yi and Ong Yew Sin-Tan Wee Kiong appeared to have backfired as both pairs only made the second round of the French meet in Paris and the quarter-finals of the Bitburger Open in Saarbrucken, Germany.

A third pair – world No. 47 Goh Sze Fei-Nur Izzuddin Rumsani – also fared badly, losing in the first round of both tournaments. The youngsters have yet to win a match since reaching the final of the Malaysian Masters in January.

Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) president Datuk Seri Norza Zakaria feels that they cannot afford to wait too long for the players to produce results, especially with several major events – including the Thomas Cup, Commonwealth Games and Asian Games – coming up next year.

As far as men’s doubles is concerned, it’s very important for us, especially with the Thomas Cup next year,” said Norza after a coaching and training committee meeting yesterday.

The men’s pairs did all right in France but didn’t meet their targets at the Bitburger Open."

Soon Kit is still assessing V Shem-Ee Yi and Yew Sin-Wee Kiong but a decision has to be made fast because we need to know our Thomas Cup line-up by January."

As for Sze Fei-Izzuddin, I also brought it up to Soon Kit. We need to make some changes soon.

Norza also announced that BAM would introduce an internal ranking for players every quarter, starting next year.

There will be two windows – February and August – to release under-performing players from the national set-up.

BAM will also introduce a rule to monitor players’ key performance index (KPI), with players ranked No.1-No.72 in the world getting to play in tournaments while those ranked No.73 and above will only play in 10 tournaments.

We are still working out a standard operating procedure for reviewing under-performing players. This is because we want to see how we can reintegrate players who have been dropped if they start producing results,” said Norza.

Source : https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/ba...another-reshuffle-after-unconvincing-results/