Stringster Stringing Tutorial

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by asadafgs, Sep 27, 2017.

1. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

Thoughts on his technique? Interesting that he doesn't use the diablo, adds 10% for crosses even on a PT 8 deluxe, and does not tie the starting knot to an anchor string.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

kwun likes this.
  2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Apart from the sloppy knots (close to zero pulling on tie offs and that free floating starter...) and his obvious diabolo aversion, I would say that all pretty basic stuff. Double pulling the last two mains is fairly common, as well as adding tension on the crosses. I thought for a moment that he does a double pull only with the two first mains, but you can see him re-pulling both of them later on.

So pretty solid work I would say, but nothing new in there what I would like to take over. Except for that PT8 Deluxe of course... :p

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I don't think there is anything new in the video. All of us who is regular at this forum already know all the techniques.

It is a good video though, clear and simple to follow. I believe a lot of beginning stringers will benefit from it.

4. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    The knots are pretty basic. I did this tie offs on my first stringing job without much background, but switched to better knots. The starter is IMO a no-go. I always go around the main. Never such a free floating thingy. He can string, but these knots are an easy thing where he can improve. I would disagree that this ratio of 10% is necessary. Especially at a low tension with this flagship machine. I stand early this year infront of one. Playing a bit around and this thing is a tank of the tanks. Can understand to add 10% on the cross. Maximum 1 lbs.

5. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

Does anyone want to comment on his starting knot for the crosses? It is alternative, but I guess it works?
    I would really have liked if he had tested the racket with the Stringster app afterwards - Would have been fun had the app called it a 12 kg job or a 8 kg job.

#5 rbynck, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    weaving of the cross can be more efficient.

firstly, rotate the clamp 180 degree. so the arm doesn't get in the way of the hand. then weave closer to the previous string to take advantage of the soft weave.

he was way far from the previous string so the soft weave really isn't doing much. it is as if he doesn't understand why he need to weave one ahead.

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

That non-achored starter... woah, not cool with that at all. Not keen on the double-pulling of the last two mains, either - double-pulling is just lazy, IMO.
    Aside from those, nothing leaps out as being... amateurish:).

kakinami and Bugbait like this.
  8. Bugbait

Bugbait Regular Member

Agree, I don't double pull anything. While it's likely true for most/all that it won't impact the performance it just doesn't seem right to me either. It's not like it's harder to clamp the outer main!

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I'd want to hear a good reason to do it - extra frame stress, reduced string longevity, something like that.

"Nobody hits it there anyway" or "it saves me 30 seconds"? No - sorry. Pull every string and stop cutting corners.

10. Bugbait

Bugbait Regular Member

For a machine with 2 point support there could be a case for extra frame stress. The 10 and 2 o'clock pulls would concern me without support there. On a machine with 6* point support placed near the 10 and 2 o'clock there's less argument for it.

*10 if you use adopt the marketing stance on C versus L side supports.

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

And on a bloody Protech 8 Deluxe there is simply NO argument for it.

I noticed he clamps a main right in the middle... this is a hitting area. Hmm.

12. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

Why is the non-anchored starter so bad?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Huge chance of pulling it through the racket.

14. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I double pull the last two mains because that was what one of the YY videos recommended. I dunno if it's my machine but I can't come close to the frame on that far outside string, so I'm not sure individual pulls there are making a huge difference. Also makes it a little easier because the string running the outside of the frame won't be tensioned, blocking the last main (10).

Wasn't keen on the Stringster knots. I use the tie off kwun recommends plus an extra hitch, and the knot ucantseeme recommends for starting (with an extra hitch if it's a hyrbid setup).

They don't clamp very close to the frame in this video either.

ucantseeme likes this.
  15. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

"My machine won't let me clamp the outermost main" is one of the "good reasons" I referred to earlier:).

It looked like a double half-hitch, to me. Very basic. Add his tie-on was definitely a Toshi.
    An un-anchored Toshi.

16. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    For a minute or two that unanchored starting knot had me concerned I was doing it wrong but then I was pretty sure every other anchor I'd seen was tied to a main... so I just.. ignored it.

Maybe I was hitching wrong, but I found it dropped a ton of tension. I found kwun's knot kept things tensioned and tort.

17. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I think Maurice was just making a basic video to maybe help new stringers in Germany learn. I worked with him in London, he is a solid stringer, all of the Germans stringing were solid, Donald Maurice and another guy, his name slipped my mind at the moment, as well as Rachmat who has been to the Olympics since 1992.

ucantseeme likes this.
  18. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Chelsea?! I've gone right off you:p.

19. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Bad instruction. No more comment.