India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Age analysis of players picked for WJC. The boys team is a proper U-19 team selection with just one U-17 player Lakshya Sen.

Boys
    Lakshya Sen age 16

Rahul Bharadwaj age 17
    Garaga, Krishna Prasad age 17
    Gulshan Kumar, Kartikey age 17
    Kapila Dhruv age 17
    Podile, Srikrishna Sai Kumar age 17
    Arintap Dasgupta age 18
    Dhanraj, Sanjai Srivatsa age 18
    Elango, Siddarth age age 18
    Tandon Aryamann age 18

The girls team is 50% U-17 and 50% U-19 and is not in balance with 5 U-17 players.

Girls

Pullela, Gayatri Gopichand age 14
    Singhi, Simran age 15
    Kashyap, Aakarshi age 16
    Thaker, Ritika age 16
    Malvika Bansod age 16 (Individual event)

Barve, Purva age 17
    Jupidi Srishti age
    U K, Mithula age 17
    Chaliha, Ashmita age 18
    Choudhary, Deeksha age 18
    Rituparna Panda age 18

India_badminton likes this.
  2. India_badminton

India_badminton Regular Member

Nice stat, our boys in the age group of 17-18 are really good. The problem with our girls is that many in the age group of 17-18 didn't perform well in last 4 ranking tournaments meant for selection. Purva barve won 1, aakarshi won 1, malvika won 1, Ashmita was very consistent and gayatri defeated aakarshi & malvika who won U-19 titles (wrong way to select).
    Players like Ira sharma, prashi joshi, mugdha agrey(won senior ranking yesterday) didn't perform well at those ranking tournaments so they were not selected.
    Important thing which BAI has to do is organise ranking tournaments through out the year, not 4 tournaments in a very short span and decide who is good.

badmuse likes this.
  3. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Badminton Asia U17 & U15 Junior Championships 2017 India win 1 Gold and 3 Bronze medals! :)

GS U-15
    Samiya Imad Farooqui Gold medal
    Aashi Rawat Bronze medal

U-15 Boys Doubles
    Ayush Raj Gupta/Shubham Patel Bronze Bronze medal

U-17 Girls Doubles
    Keyura Mopati/Kavipriya Selvam Bronze medal

#2183 badmuse, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  4. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

#2184 badmuse, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  5. India_badminton

India_badminton Regular Member

In Slovak junior, Vaishnavi Reddy loses the GS U-19 final by injuring her thigh again, I don't know whether her father will understand now.

6. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

7. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Saina Nehwal

8. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Good to see Manu Attri playing with K.Maneesha in XD from now on. They have registered in Dutch Open 2017

9. lzhaol

lzhaol Regular Member

PBL Season 3 auction will be TODAY! The entire auction will be live on PBL Facebook page.

Some new icon players includes Tai Tzu Ying, Wang Tzu Wei.

samkool likes this.
  10. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Link: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...ction-at-pbl-auction/articleshow/60993753.cms

2 New Teams Ahmedabad Smash Masters and North Eastern Warriors have been added. Premier Badminton League expected to run from Dec 20, 2017 to Jan 14, 2018.
    133 players are part of the bid process. Son Wan Ho, Sung Ji Hyun, Viktor Axelsen, Carolina Marin, Tian Houwei are some of the top singles players.

11. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Saina Nehwal

12. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

WJC, India look like they are in an easy group on paper. India needs to be wary of complacency and to rotate all the players and make sure everyone is match fit. How serious is Gayatri Gopichand's knee injury? Gayatri shouldn't risk further injury like Vaishnavi Jakka Reddy. If Gayatri is not fully fit, it is not in her and team India's interest to play. She should withdraw and allow a fully fit player to take her place.

#2192 badmuse, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  13. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Samiya Imad Farooqui age 14, started playing badminton at age 6. Samiya is very talented and looks to be another future star for India. Samiya and Gayatri Gopichand aim to abandon doubles and play just singles in the long term.

Link: https://telanganatoday.com/hyderabads-samiya-asia-badminton-title
    Excerpt:
    It is always nice to win any international title. Winning the Asian Junior title will always be special to me. I thank my coaches, particularly Gopichand sir,” said Samiya from Yangon.

Winner of silver in singles in Indonesia Grand Prix junior title, Samiya said it was a wonderful journey in this tournament. “I feel very happy to emerge champion. It was all because of hard work.”

It was the Indonesian who dominated the first game. “I gave a lot of negative points. I could not get my rhythm,” said Samiya. With a game down, Samiya steeled herself. “It was a tough battle and I managed to lead at 11-8.” But the unseeded Stephani leveled the scores at 13-13. Coach Sanjay Mishra said Samiya raised her game from the second set. “She played brilliant shots.

Being a natural stroke player, she began to play a more attacking game and soon won the second game.” Samiya had to fight hard in the third and deciding game. Stephani put the Indian on the back foot and led 11-7 before jumping into a big 16-12 lead. But Samiya held her nerves. “I knew I had to remain cool and there was a long rally where I won a point. I won five straight points to take a 17-16 lead.”

The road towards the final points was tough but in the end Samiya romped home to win the Asian title. “It was a big relief when I won the final point. I kept my nerves in the crucial stages of the game.” Coach Mishra said Samiya is a very talented player. “She is a future prospect for the country. She has a good all-round game.”

Samiya said Saina Nehwal and PV Sindhu have been a source of inspiration to all young players. “For us watching and playing alongside is a big advantage. I tried to learn the strokes from these two players. I do interact and talk. Sindhu talks and tells about the finer points of the game.”

The young champion said it is all but hard work. “I love the game. We have to make a few sacrifices but I’m ready to work hard.” Samiya started playing badminton at the age of six years before winning her first national under-13 title at the age of 12. Her father Imad Farooqui is a first division cricket player. “I always wanted my daughter to play badminton. She was very lean and so I put her into Gopichand Academy for fitness training. But Gopichand saw her potential and asked her play serious badminton. That is how her journey started in badminton,” said Farooqui, who has accompanied her daughter to Myanmar.

Farooqui became India’s fourth gold medallist at the Badminton Asia Junior U-15 and U-17 Championships,
    after Siril Verma (2013 U-15 men’s singles), Chirag Shetty and MR Arjun (2013 U-17 men’s doubles),
    and Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Krishna Prasad (2015 U-17 men’s doubles).

Link: https://thefield.scroll.in/853427/m...and-the-latest-prodigy-from-gopichand-academy

Excerpt:
    Born and brought up in Hyderabad, one of the bastions of badminton in India, Samiya’s choice of sport should not have come as such a big surprise. Imaduddin himself played the sport at the university level before getting into the bottle manufacturing business. One of the people he played with was Pullela Gopichand, who would go on to become one of the most celebrated shuttlers and, later, coaches of the country.

Imaduddin realised very early that Samiya had a very good ball sense. “Whenever I threw a ball at her, she would catch it without any difficulty,” he said. “I realized she had a very good hand-eye coordination, so I sent her to Gopi’s academy just for fitness actually, not to become a professional player.”

However, fate had other ideas. A year after first joining the academy, Gopichand would call Imaduddin and tell him that Samiya had the potential to become a professional player and asked for her to be sent there more regularly than the one hour per day that she was going.

A year later, Gopichand would add another training session to her daily routine, which meant Samiya started going to the academy in the morning and evening. Another year later, Gopichand would tell Imaduddin that it’s time the family moved closer to the academy, as Samiya’s sessions were going to become even longer and she did not have the time to travel 15 kilometres to and fro from their Banjara Hills home two times a day.

On Sunday, their trust in Samiya’s career choice bore its first fruit as the now 14-year-old won her first major international tournament – the Under-15 women’s singles title at the Badminton Asia U-17 and U-15 Junior Championships in Yangon, Myanmar.

[​IMG]
    Samiya and her father Mohammed Imaduddin Farooqui
    Before Samiya moved closer to the academy, her morning training session used to start at 4 am, which meant she had to wake up at 3 am every day in order to leave their Banjara Hills home by 3.30 am. Even then, Mubeena and Imaduddin never had to take much effort in waking her up.

“She used to mostly be up before us,” said Imaduddin. “The session started at 4 am and she always wanted to be there by 3.45 am and be the one to switch on the lights at the academy.”

At the age of 12, Samiya won her first national title – the U-13 national championship. “She had won a few lot of district tournaments before that but this was her first major title,” said Imaduddin. This was also the time when Samiya was paired with Gopichand’s daughter Gayatri, who was of the same age, in doubles. However, both girls eventually aim to be full-time singles players. Currently, they even train with the seniors’ batch at the Gopichand Academy, along with the likes of PV Sindhu and K Srikanth. “Their session starts at 8 am now so it’s more relaxed,” said Imaduddin.

Natural stroke-player
    Talking about her game, one of her coaches at the academy, Anil Kumar, said that Samiya loves to tire her opponent, which is exactly what she did in the Asian junior final on Sunday. “After conceding the first game, Samiya kept the rallies long and tired her opponent,” said Kumar. “She played a couple of good strokes at a crucial time. She did not leave the shuttle.” Samiya is not particularly an attacking or defensive player, Kumar added, but her strokes are sharp.

India’s chief junior coach, Sanjay Mishra, concurred, saying that Samiya is a natural stroke player. “Her half-smashes and deceptive shots are very strong,” he said. “All over the world, the game being played is – keep the shuttle, speed-power, speed-power. But if you add the Indian skill of deception to that game, we will get better results.”

[​IMG]
    Samiya and her doubles partner Gayatri Gopichand

#2193 badmuse, Oct 9, 2017
    Baddyforall likes this.
  14. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

PBL Auction Korean players were the most sought after and 8 players have been chosen! 5 Doubles players and 3 Singles.
    Doubles
    1.Shin Baek Cheol
    2.Lee Yong Dae
    3.Yoo Yeon Seong
    4.Kim Sa Rang
    5.Kim Gi Jung
    Singles
    1.Son Wan Ho
    2.Lee hyun Il
    3.Sung Ji Hyun

#2194 badmuse, Oct 9, 2017
  15. Baddyforall

Tai Tzu ying and tzu Wei wang got $79,559 dollars each in the auction.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

16. Baddyforall

Srikanth got $85679

17. Baddyforall

$76161 for Carolina Marin , Victor Axelson , Sung ji hyun and Son Won Ho

18. Baddyforall

$73495 for Sindhu