Z Speed - What's all the fuss about?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Charlie-SWUK, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    The old thread is buried so far in these forums I can't even find it with search. When I try to search it comes up with a million threads about the JS10.

Bought a Z Speed to try out 3U/G4, chucked Aerosonic on it. I was on the edge about buying a Z Speed because everyone repeatedly said the racket:
    Had 0 feeling
    Was difficult to use
    Stiff
    Unforgiving
    Small sweetspot
    Had no control

Now, honestly, other than Aerosonic being slippery rubbish, I had no real difficulty using the Z Speed. If anything my backhands were good, smashes were good, drops and net were accurate. Clears were still fairly easy.

Like did anyone else find the Z Speed didn't live up to its notoriety?

isben likes this.
  2. hm_andhika

hm_andhika Regular Member

Consultant and Technology Enthusiast
    I don't like NR Z speed because I'm not very satisfied. It's good but not good enough for someone like me who looking for an excellent feels. :D

3. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    No? I mean the feel is ok, think it needs a fairly solid string with it. I had no issues with feel using AS, but it's just been restrung with 80/1, and it feels so much better.

4. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    No problem for me. Small sweet spot for sure but the feel is great and great power. I use the Gosen R4X110 string.

5. Jeremyng90

Jeremyng90 Regular Member

Z speed is my first high end racket and it broke after a year . do i like it ? Yes definitely. i not as good previously but now I am a more complete player compared to last time and i had a chance to use the racket again (thank to my fren) ... Guess what , I love it even more !!

Some times is not the racket but the player that cant really maximize it ! ya the feel is not that solid but it has a kind like soft feeling which I like it.

It's fast ! It pack a punch ..... defend well and surprisingly it can control well too

6. Jeremyng90

Jeremyng90 Regular Member

*Sorry double post

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Honestly, if you ignore 100% of what people say about rackets, you will not miss out. It's all extremely subjective, and a herd mentality can easily take over.

Other people's views can be useful as a basic filter -- as in, "maybe this is worth trying". But the only judgement that matters is your own. The same applies to any kit.

I've no experience with this particular racket.

pepe54 likes this.
  8. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    N90s and Z Speeds, I'm starting to think my left hand is good at using difficult rackets ;)

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Then you must try an Arcsaber Z-slash. For SCIENCE! :D

10. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Mail me one and I'll give it a try.

11. Okaharu

Okaharu Regular Member

Just off the top of my head, I can count 5 players at my club who own a Z Speed (all red, so probably long time users)
    All of them primarily use the Z Speed when playing (particularly in doubles)
    The common theme amongst these people are they own 'quick' racquets JS12/JS10, BS10, N7ii/N7iiL, Arc11/Arc10

The Z Speed is probably one of the more popular racquets at my club... so I guess the notorious rep never got here?

12. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    What does it say if I like the z speed when my fondest love is for the n90?

13. Okaharu

Okaharu Regular Member

That you looked beyond the smog and discovered a racquet you took a new liking to ;)

I'm all for being adventurous and not just shutting down racquets because they are different to what you normally prefer. I had a friend who was adamant about 'beefy single racquets' (he plays with the zf2 and n90) but took a liking to my Arc11 he initially thought was too 'light'

More fun that way, more chances of stumbling upon a racquet that you might enjoy but otherwise would never set your hands on because it is different to what you usually enjoy

Sometimes racquets just click and they may not necessarily fall in line with the usual 'mold' of what someone thinks their ideal racquet is.

Fidget likes this.
  14. foo.tw

foo.tw Regular Member

The old color ZSP has a lot of extreme-spec ones.
    I got one with ZF2 3u & 4u.
    The one I got was head-heavier and stiffer than my ZF2 3u, which I can't wield.
    It's no surprise to me if anyone says old-ZSP hard to use.
    However, the new color has improved a great deal in this aspect.
    I measured many of them and most are 90g + 292mm BP which is well QCed.
    I took one and having good games with it.

But, if you want me to rate new-zsp, I would still say it not friendly to newbies.
    I have seen too many cases failed with compact frame.
    Compact frame is a challenge to amateur players, though I encourage ppl to take on this challenge.
    There are too many benefits to play with compact frame.
    longer life to the racket, string & tension-holding is also better , plus better power & maneuverability.
    Only if you can concur the small sweet spot, you can get all these benefits.

15. Amarth

Amarth New Member

Z speed is a truly great racket. I owned the orange one and currently using the lime green(2016) edition. I think it is only the matter of personal perspective. I compared the ZSpeed(3U) and ZF2(4U) and i think the ZSpeed is the better choice. Anyway it only my humble opinion

16. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

In my own experience, the Nanoray Z Speed is arguably, the "most powerful" racquet I have used among my other racquets, which consists mainly a collection of voltrics: a ZF2, several DG10's with balance points higher than the ZF2 and an Apacs Lethal 70. Note that all mentioned racquets are 3UG5 versions. Initially, I struggled to generate power with it in the first week but adapted soon.

I think that the extra stiff, long and non slim shaft is a winning combination; Personally, I hate the slim shaft of my zf2 due to its loss of stiffness as a result. On this point, I really dislike Yonex's loose usage of the descriptive term "extra stiff" for shaft flex. Many players simply accept these flex ratings at face value, hence the marketing association between the ZF2 and its perceived "extra stiffness". Rather, a flex value rating such as that used by Apacs in its catalogue, or racquet stiffness matrix would suffice. A bit of digging around will reveal that the consensus opinion of the Z speed is that it is a "challenging racquet for intermediates". Specs wise, the Z Speed had a balance point of 292 mm in playing form while my other voltrics were 305 - 327 mm while its shaft length stood out at a whopping 23.5cm (Z-Speed) vs 22.5cm (ZF2), 21.8cm (DG10's) and 22.8cm (Lethal70).

That aside, I look forward to purchasing a 2UG5 soon as my dream racquet though if they had made a ZF2 with a stiffer and longer shaft, that would be a theoretical ideal. It was unfortunate however that I only had a month with that wonderful Z speed; I had to return it as I borrowed it from having snapped strings on all 4 of my main racquets in 3 weeks; currently have no real racquet to play with other than an ancient racquet with a tension of 22lbs thats associated with my earlier elbow tendonitis injury.

In summary, I believe that the Z Speed gets a bad reputation due to inexperience, unfounded opnions and perhaps, being too susceptible to influence from online reviews without considerations to string tension and choice setup combinations; Paul Stewart's review of the Z speed had factory strings on it if I recall. You could even say that the Z Speed's stiffness has ruined all other racquets for me, down to the simple fact that their simply not as stiff and have shorter shafts and therefore are unable to generate the same amount of torque-leverage and impulse.

Here's actual video footage of the Z Speed in action. Top right corner, tall guy in red (HK team) - he's using a yellow z speed. Using FHF as the benchmark here, his smashes look very decent despite his thin body frame.

#16 pepe54, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    shreyas666 likes this.