Professional players and their racquets

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Josh, Oct 13, 2001.

Tags:
  1. garra

garra Regular Member

Redson Japan.

It'sMeMeMe likes this.
  2. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

TY TY
    i learn something new everyday lol .... this Redson looks to have some impressive rackets

3. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Ok, can anybody please explain to me what type of flex is this nice-looking racket?:D

Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 8.51.16 PM.png

4. badmintony

Kinda interesting what sort of technologies some companies can come up with. Makes me wonder though if these actually translates to what they claim to be so. I bet one of these days they would develop an aero cleft chin frame or whatever.

5. garra

garra Regular Member

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I'm gonna move this topic from the TK-F thread in here since that's the right place for it.

The thought of some Victor guys sanding off paint from a Yonex racket (but forgetting to change the buttcap...) was still haunting me in my sleep (well... not really...), so I just had to look through the French Open Final match on YT more closely.

Best Screenshot I could grab was this :
    Unbenannt.JPG

There's definitely something strange going on with both buttcaps, but I still wouldn't recognize a YY buttcap there. Could be a simple marking or label though. The bottom one looks blue to me, the top one is hard to tell, but somehow looks indeed green'ish.

For reference, here's how a normal Victor buttcap looks like in the same picture - there also some kind of marking on it, but smaller than on the other two rackets:
    Unbenannt 2.JPG

Screenshot taken at 16:56 in this clip:

So now, my fellow racket investigators, any thoughts?

shreyas666 likes this.
  7. AHA_INA

AHA_INA Regular Member

I have some hypothesis:
    1). It's a Victor buttcap. I suspect Lee So Hee using a thin layer of yellow Cushion Wrap that covering the outer part of the buttcap. Cushion wrap is like a thin sponge. As long as it's thin enough, we still can see the surface that cushion wrap covered. Because the cushion wrap is yellow and the buttcap is blue, we will see the illusion that the buttcap was greenish.

35370.jpg
    imagine something like my buttcap up there, but it's thinner than mine. maybe only one layer.

2). Maybe it's just another layer of yellow/greenish overgrip.

#4827 AHA_INA, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    s_mair likes this.
  8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I'm still mystified why players like that cushion wrap crap. Inconsistent as hell (pretty much cant get two rackets the same) and tears like no other, so you'll have to replace constantly. Weirdest thing was seeing LYD put it under towel grip.....which is sticky, ffs, and will destroy that cushion wrap completely and sometimes even come loose whilst playing, tearing the CW with it.
    Also dont get me started on how ridiculously overpriced the Victor stuff is compared to the 'normal' stuff used by physios.
    Build your grip up with normal athletic tape if you need it, and/or use two overgrips....you know, something thats somewhat consistent across rackets and will not tear every time you change grips :D

9. kaffars

kaffars Regular Member

Geologist
    Yh way overpiced for what it is. I just save and keep my old thin overgrips to use as the base grip when I need to regrip with a fresh one.

10. AHA_INA

AHA_INA Regular Member

i'm using a thin rubber overgrip tape and wrap it reverse way up like LCW (sticky end at cone), so there wont be any damage to the cushion wrap beneath the grip. Using the ordinary method, the cushion wrap will destroyed by the sticky end of the overgrip tape.
    Once the size suits me, i won't change cushion wrap. I like cushion wrap better than athletic tape because it's lighter and more comfy IMHO.

11. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I like doing that too. Cushion wrap with towel. The only inconsistency I actually get is from the towel grip. Not the cushion wrap. I can insistently create the thickness I need with cushion wrap. It's the manufacturing variation in towel and grip handles (now that I think about it) that's a problem. Especially from victor. Some towel grips come out a little too fat. Sometimes too thin. Then their wooden handles are bit always properly sanded down to the correct dimensions.

Either way I only need enough of the wrap to just soften the edges of the bevels a touch and increase the thickness to suit myself. Cushion wrap is a cheap expendable to me anyway. I replace it everytime I have redo my grip and think nothing of it. They last me a long time too.

To the topic of Lee So Hee's butt cap. That's definitely a victor butt cap with cushion wrap altering the look of it. The stickers I would assume are for identification of one's rackets. Too many users of the same rackets in the same camp after all.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Really good thinking with that cushion wrap! Combine that theory with an additional identification label in the center of the buttcap and you should get very close to the look of the buttcap on the picture.

So unless anyone else comes up with a different theory, I would say the myth of LSH using a repainted Yonex racket is...
    [​IMG]

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well apparently thats where we differ because I find wobbly cushioned grips inconsistent and uncontrolled, not comfy :D bit to each their own. Just fyi, even though I used the overgrip the same way you described, the cushion wrap still ripped quite often. More of a hassle than any other gripping method I ever tried.
    @Ch1ko: I try to keep the bevels as sharp as possible. Gives me a better feeling for the racket than a round grip where I have no idea where the racket face is turned :D

14. It'sMeMeMe

unfortunately i couldn't find any full video high definition on LSH Denmark or French open on youtube that i can access anymore ... one that shows the buttcap clearly ... so for me i gonna let this go and i can sleep peacefully now ... it's up to shreyas666 now to provide proof to his claim

15. badmintony

There's simply no green buttcap there, so no Yonex racket disguised as Victor racket happened with Lee So Hee's game;)

I'm quite amazed though how some people can be so very investigative as to what rackets pros use, sometimes to the point of like looking for UFOs or yeti's in badmintonland:D

#4835 badmintony, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Lemollin and AHA_INA like this.
  16. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Finally decides to use the 2017 LDF colorway in November, promptly crashes out of first round.

[​IMG]

Hand felt cold on handshake with Christie. Brrrrrr.

kwun likes this.
  17. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    #blackisunluckyforthedan

#makerepaintedldfgreatagain

18. It'sMeMeMe

so is TTY using real TKF or is it a repainted 7000 again? here on China SSP i mean ....

19. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    She was using a yonex racket. I did point out green yonex buttcap in French open.

20. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Mate, have you even looked at posts 8426 and following in here? There is no evidence whatsoever so far that would support this bizarre theory.

If you have a better picture in store somewhere that really shows a Yonex butt cap, then please share.