CHINA OPEN 2017 - Premier Super Series

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Thanks, I think you are right about Zhang Ning.

Zhang Ning told WSX to smash more but Gao FJ not to smash until the right time.

I don't know why Zhang Ning would tell a shorter player to smash more often but a tall player to smash less. I don't understand the logic.

2. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    She didn't play well the entire tourney. Infact what was the last time you saw her playing "well"
    "Well" here is ofcourse, "well" by "her standards"

3. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Simply because WSX just "never smashed". Although she had a game that would do pretty well without a "kill", but her "procrastinating" abilities often put her in troubles.

OTOH junior players are more keen to finish off the rallies at every "half chance" simply because they lack the confidence in their game and doesn't have the physicality to match their illustrious opponents. CM is "usually" to "heavy" on smashes that she pulls her guards down and if you see that chink in the armour the point is yours. Hence the wait.

I am in awe with her coaching style, not animated like the previous coach (short hair middle age, I don't remember the name, pardon me) and obviously Mr dummy Chen Jin

PS height and WS has no proportionality these days, TTY and AY can smash as good as anybody

It'sMeMeMe and pcll99 like this.
  4. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Like my chinese friend said , 2 men can never work together. Thats the culture embedded since young. He also said thats why they suck in football. We are good in every sport but we cant even get to WorldCup. All are just running like chickens.

5. TmdRockz

TmdRockz Regular Member

SWH is my favourite player. really thought that he would win today. :(

6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    1. If Yamaguchi wins tomorrow, it will be the first time a Japanese player wins anything in China Open.

2. If Gao FJ wins, a new star is born.

7. Maurice MJC

Maurice MJC Regular Member

I feel like this is a must win for Akane confidence-wise. Losing her 5th final this year, especially against a qualifier, would crush her mentally, it would be one too many. She already seems pretty down since the French Open, not her usual bubbly self who's enjoying herself on court and play to entertain the public.

Even today, despite her win in straight sets, the body language was not good at all. Hope she gets a boost of motivation tomorrow. The coaches caught it up too and I noticed they spend a lot of time simply giving encouragement, cheering akane up during intervals (especially during that catastrophic French Open final)

Michael V and Yoji like this.
  8. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Imo, height is a huge advantage in WS (doubles as well) and I feel this is supported by data. Only because players like NO, AY and TTY are absolutely exeptional shot makers (add RI and you've probably got the best 4 in world, Steen always says so as well) and top class retrievers, they can compensate for their shortcomings :))). TTY is also already 7 centimeters taller than the other two, and she is significantly better at smashing - she uses it more often, scores more points with it, has more pace.

Since I don't want to make unsubstantiated claims and got curious as well, I looked it up. Turns out the average height of top 20 WS players is 168,5cm. There are only 2 players shorter than 160cm and 14 players are 168cm or taller.
    In fact, there are only 4 (5 maybe) players shorter than 160 in the top 50.

9. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Maybe cause 160 is way too short to start comparing with :D

10. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    He looked like he had a minor injury on the right thigh.

11. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I am going for Akane, just basing on experience.

12. renbo

renbo Regular Member

It is probably only reflecting normal height average among women, not a selection made from height

13. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

GaoFangJie needs to win this just as much. imo, its very important to win your first final.

If she is truly a LXR or WYH type of caliber, she will win this and AY confidence will be crushed.

Its like ticket to top 3 of WS in China so that the coach will focus on her.

Runner up is just not good enough despite cinderella story. China have not won WS this year so it will be up to her to prevent history.

Like Axelsen is good but he lost his first 6 Finals or so.

14. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Just watched the first game between CM and GFJ. Marin made many errors, sending the shuttle out, forced and unforced.

#994 nokh88, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  15. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

The 4 top 20 players from China are 175 on average. The 3 top Koreans over 172, same as the Indian ladies. I guess thats average for women in those countries.

16. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Definitely a must-win and I expect her to win too as she is in MUCH better form than Sindhu and Carolina. Losing would relegate her to SJH status, the consistent one with no titles.... crushing her self-confidence even further.

17. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

and are you sure ChenLong will lose to Axelsen?

I dont think so you know. Axelsen still will have stage fright playing at China against OlympicChampion.
    Its Chen's to lose just like how he eats up Son yesterday, imo

18. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Nobody can stop markus/Kevin from getting bwf player of the year.
    Srikanth withdrew from Hong Kong open as well. He did not recover from injury yet.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

19. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

But its tough against Boe/Mog. Always feel the experience one will have better chance of winning and their experiences shown through in the last 2 matches. They were on the brink of defeat against MadsDuo ( in which i can feel sorry for them)

20. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Actually the height average in those countries are lower. But this is an effect of the prejudice against smaller sizes in sports in some circles. Pi Hongyan, for example, was rejected from the national team (and went to France) not because she was not good enough, but because it was taught she was too short for success (she had a nice career afterward, a frequent top 5). There was some talk about this concerning Chinese badminton and sports in general.
    In France the same problem affected the French football federation in the recent 15 years. They selected teens that were tall and physical. During the same time, Spain cultivated technical players, whatever height they had. They brillant results of Spain led the French federation to reconsider its policy

It'sMeMeMe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.