From head heavy to even balanced..?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Tec07, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Tec07

Tec07 Regular Member

Hi all, first post on the forum but have used it for information and tips for a long while now..
    Anyway just looking for a little advice, for a good while now ive been using a voltric 7 which was fine however that recently broke so a bit of an impulse buy though a good deal i ended up with a zf2.. tried it with bg80 at 27lbs and hated it so tried it at 24lbs (my usual) and still found it just too head heavy and stiff, id say im a reasonable level club/league player nothing more but im clearly not good enough to get the most out of a zf2!
    Anyway im really leaning towards an even balanced racket as after having a hit with a friends arcsaber z slash i really liked the lighter/quicker feeling of the racket although i did loose a little in the smash. My question is would i be making a mistake to look at something like a bs12/js12 or arcsaber 11? I play probably 70% singles though im not a big smasher and tend to play more placement and angled shots to win my points i really dont want to loose too much from an already average smash :/ iirc my voltric 7 was a medium flex head heavy racket which makes me think that anything too stiff i probably wouldnt get on with anyway especially if i went from head heavy to even balance..
    Sorry for going on! Any advice would be great :)

2. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    First, add some multiple grip layers to your zf2 in your desired tension range. And then try the setup.
    If that works well. Good.
    Get a zstrike or zspeed.

3. Tec07

Tec07 Regular Member

I did actually try that, i put a pu grip over the standard g4 to try make it feel a little less head heavy.. i felt that it was a little easier to play with but still didnt feel great and couldnt hit as hard as i would with my v7 though i think the compact head and not being used to that also played a part!

4. vibgyor1111

vibgyor1111 Regular Member

Are you using 3u or 4u?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

5. Tec07

Tec07 Regular Member

Both the voltric 7 and zf2 are 3u g4..

6. vibgyor1111

You could consider using head heavy 4u rackets. I've recently went from voltric 80 4u to like ning 9ii. Just a thought.

7. Tec07

Tec07 Regular Member

Ok worth looking into aswell.. how do the 4u play compared to 3u? Are they just faster/lighter or do they need a little more strength to generate the same power?

8. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

You sure about your Voltric 7 is a 3U? I thought all the UK Voltric 7s were 4U apart from the 7DG.

9. vibgyor1111

I'm not expert, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt. To me, the power difference between 3u and 4u for the same rackets are negligible. I'm just not a power player. But the speed difference is easily noticable. My offensive game doesn't really suffer a lot, but the defense is markedly improved. I can't say which racket is faster for me between 4u voltric 80 and the li ning. The flexible shaft makes a huge difference in how hard I have to work though.

10. Tec07

Tec07 Regular Member

ah yes you are correct my v7 is 4u g4!

it seems im already using 4u head heavy with my v7 so no wonder the 3u zf2 felt to difficult to use! though i dont think a stiff/extra stiff racket of any kind would suit me anyway to be honest.

11. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Tbh, if you found the Voltric 7 was fine then you can probably look at either the Astrox 77 in 4U, or even a 4U Voltric 70 E-tune.
    Someone mentioned there's a deal for the 70 e-tune on e78.us (not sure what weight.)

12. Tec07

Tec07 Regular Member

Great will have a look at those! With regards to even balance is there anything out there that would be considered not too much of a loss with power while having the slightly quicker/lighter feel than a head hteavy racket?

13. Tec07

Tec07 Regular Member

Ok so ive played a bit now with a 4u arcsaber 6fl as i wanted to try an even balanced racket.. now that and myw vt7 both weigh 91g strung and for some reason have the same balance point of 305mm, im guessing the vt7 just isnt very hh and the arcsaber probably slightly.. but, the arcsaber definatly feels heavier in the hand! Why would this be as it weighs the same? I thought it may be due to being balanced but it has the same bp as the voltric which does feel lighter both to hold and swing? Trying to get an understanding of rackets/weights and balances so i can make better informed purchases rather than basicly gambling..

14. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

You r comparing an orange to an apple. YY VT7 is B-tier Yonex product n ARC6FL is an An-tier, comparable to ARC10, ARC7. YY A-tier rackets r much more expensive. They use better materials n better finish. Most better rackets swings heavier because they r designed for higher power+skills.
    Yonex A-tiers r made in Japan, B-tiers r made in Taiwan n C-tiers r made in China.

Dont even try to understand associations btween BP n weights. Numbers often confuses, n many specs r not accurate. Yr best bet is to borrow the racket u might like, d next alternative is to 'dry swing' in a shop. I gave up buying rackets online just based on specs n reviews

#14 sautom88, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Tec07 likes this.
  15. Tec07

Tec07 Regular Member

Ah ok so makes a little more sense to me now.. the arc 6fl does feel what i can only describe as "beefier" but i assumed it was from the same "low spec" production and using the same materials as vt7 so that obviously explains it! Having a proper compare tonight its actually slightly less hh than the vt7 but only by 3mm or so but im starting to like it so maybe will look at a higher end version once in completely happy!
    Im suprised the online specs can vary so much aswell from site to site even on the same rackets!

16. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    ...what?
    arc6fl is a taiwan racquet, not japan

arc9fl is MIJ

17. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member