Rallies in Men's Doubles are too short

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by pcll99, Nov 30, 2017.

1. r3v0lv3r

r3v0lv3r Regular Member

I think regarding the length of rallies in MD, I think it's still quite ok today, so long as the pairs contesting hits outright winners. It's quite a spectacle seeing the shuttle and 4 players moving so fast on court.
    It only becomes dull, once the points are gained through unforced mistakes.

2. pierreyj

pierreyj Regular Member

Short rallies in tennis or table tennis aren't qualified as good except if they end with a spectacular shot... And if the rally doesn't even end after a spectacular shot, that makes it an even better rally. Badminton is the same. I don't know why we should be satisfied as spectator with shorter rallies. Even Gillian Clark seems bored commentating MD. Her "I don't believe it" is pretty rare nowadays...

3. ngaceng

ngaceng New Member

107 shots

longer than lyd/jjs vs cy/fhf

4. ngaceng

ngaceng New Member

yes, i hear she says 'boring match', 'i am bored', 'this match sucks' many times commentating md

maybe you should call cai yun and lee yong dae to play again

5. pierreyj

pierreyj Regular Member

Yes! This proves my point actually. I really enjoyed this match and I immediately thought that it's been a while since a MD game had me this excited. More MD matchs should be like this.

6. r3v0lv3r

r3v0lv3r Regular Member

Think more or less this is the same feeling that I've described, must have an outright winner to end the rally, not unforced errors. On the flip side, if the rally is long but devoid of any attacking shot, this is also not good.
    So in my mind, the problem is not with the length of the rally, short/long is ok. But the quality of the rally is more important. It has to be exciting.
    I'll gladly trade a 30 shot safe rally with a 8 shot rally which is ended with stunning smashes or amazing net kills/positional shot.
    Likewise, if it's a 100+ shot rally with feigning, smashes, great defense, that would be equally enjoyable.

edogaktop, stanleyfm and pierreyj like this.
  7. edogaktop

edogaktop Regular Member

I actually don't agree with the OP. Everytime I watch MD games nowadays, I am usually looking for that one special shot "dont blink while watching or you'll miss it" that can tip the balance very quickly. Both sides will try to gain the upper hand at the same time and it is not exactly clear who is attacking whom until that special shot happens.

The older game was more like the classic one side smashing from the deep, and one side defending. Maybe I'm just different but I don't really find it exciting (even boring sometimes).

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

stanleyfm likes this.
  8. ngaceng

ngaceng New Member

long rally is boring

lift and defend

lift and defend

lift and defend

that's the way cai/fu vs lee/jung play

9. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

yea, bottom line is, it's not just about the length of the rallies, but the quality of the exchange of shots. You may have short rallies but an edge of your seat ones, and you may have long rallies but a couch potato staple one, so I'd prefer the former:p