Why some players are able to do that and not me ?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Syou44, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Syou44

Syou44 New Member

Hello,

I've started badminton since a few months ( around 5 months ). I love that ! But, I noticed a big difference between me and some other players : when they shoot their racket makes a kind of muffled sound and not me even if I try to shoot the most strong than I can. I never do this sound, never !

A strange thing is even if I don't see the beginner ( like me ) do this sound, when I talk about that with the better players ( those who do this sound ) they seem not understand what I try to say. Yet, they must have this transition before.

Do you remember of this transition for you ? And why I cannot do this sound ? Do I need to train my wrist(s) ?

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Probably the stringjob that makes the difference. Or they are hitting the sweet spot consistently and you are not.

swsh and phihag like this.
  3. realbacon

realbacon Regular Member

The sound of the racket hitting the shuttle is an indicator of how good you are hitting the shuttle. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a "muffled" sound. When you watch professional players videos, you can hear the sound is sharp and crisp, not muffled and weak. You want to have a sound like the professionals make.

It could be that your strings are different, or it could be that you are not hitting the shuttle correctly yet (since you have only been playing for 5 months). Make sure that you are hitting correctly, and if the sound is still wrong, then it is likely to be your strings.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Without seeing your stroke, it is difficult to know what is wrong.

However, 5 months is not a long time. Probably your technique and consistency is not good enough.

Need more practice :)

5. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Agree w/ Cheung, try to find some1 to help u to spend A LOT of time practicing good, deep clears. At least 10-15 mins of deep clears before u play yr games

Playing games does not improve yr shots a lot, practicing same shots over n over again (drills) does.

bridgestone likes this.
  6. Syou44

Syou44 New Member

Hello,

Thanks for your advises.

Maybe I can lend my racket to someone who makes the good sound in order to see if with mine he is able to do the same type of sound or not. But, I'm sure he will be able.

Of course, I need more and more practise and I will do. Hewever, one thing stay strange, is the players that I speak with seem not to remember this step. And if someone later ask me about this step where I was not able to do a sound which slam ( or snap ? ) and I would be able to talk about that.

Thanks again.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

That crisp crack sound? It comes from fast racket and hand speed. Look up finger power, forearm pronation, proximal to distal kinetic chain, and finally hitting the sweetspot consistently.

8. Nikeroshe

Nikeroshe Regular Member

How can I generate faster racket speed? Weight training?

9. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Footwork and training plays a part.

10. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Weight training is only for u r getting pro or competition. If not, u dont really need it unless u r seriously weak or overweight. Its difficult to move around quickly when yr BMI is way too high.. ;););)

More beneficials r increasing yr overall fitness by situps, pushups, rope skipping..etc regular exercises. Biggest benefits r improve yr FOOTWORK so u can move smoothly all over the court. Also, drill yr clears n make sure they r deep or fast enough. Mny people underestimate d benefits of drilling clears, it will also develop yr other power strokes

#10 sautom88, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Cheung likes this.
  11. eelvis

eelvis Regular Member

I want that sound too!

12. Obito

Obito Regular Member

You need to make the sound like the pro do. As a beginner, Whenever I looked up to some player hitting the birds, I thought they use only their arms generated the power, but In fact the arm is only a wheel that bring your racket to the bird. As a result, I started throwing my body around when I hit the bird which caused me losing the recovery part and ruined mostly everything. Like most people say "footwork" is everything in badminton. You need to be able to stay calm and also able to move around the court without running around like a dog. Yet, when you are against a better player, if you aint calm enough you will start running around like a newbie again because the differences in speed of the bird.
    Most of the power come from your "wrist snapping" motion and finger power. I would suggest you to look up finger power, and practice "drive shots" a lot. the finger power will finally start making sense to you. Then when you can snap and use ur finger at the right time. Boom you will make that sound and the bird will fly even faster than you ever did before.