Forehand slice straight drop from right side rear court.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by eelvis, Nov 30, 2017.

1. eelvis

eelvis Regular Member

Finding it difficult to get slice on a straight drops, not reverse slice, from deep righthand corner. Practiced it today but not great, not sure if any pronation. Having improved the cross court shot but for variation i am trying get the straight. Any help please.

2. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    To clarify: you want to hit a straight slice from your forehand corner, but not a reverse slice. Question: why? Slice gives deception. By regular slicing, you would be "showing" that you will hit out, and instead hit straight. In my view, hit it with reverse slice, or better yet with no slice - just clip it down fast. A much more useful shot.

Unless you are talking about taking the shuttle very late behind you and needing to slice it - thats a different story!

Cheung likes this.
  3. eelvis

eelvis Regular Member

Yes late, see the pro players use it all the time.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Not sure that they are really slicing that much.

5. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I agree with @Cheung - stop trying to slice it and just hit it as flat as possible straight. A late forehand is a great skill to have, but it really will be most effective if you just hit through the shuttle.

eelvis likes this.
  6. eelvis

eelvis Regular Member

Ok will try something else

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

When you're taking the shuttle late in the rearcourt corners (forehand or backhand), slice can be helpful and sometimes essential. There are positions where it is impossible to keep the shuttle in unless you use some slice.

However, it's going to feel a bit different from the more attacking slices. General advice would be: don't try for too much slice; you still want a reasonably "solid" contact and a feeling of hitting through the shuttle.

Just to complicate things -- and feel free to ignore this as it's really not useful for many players -- it is possible to "reverse" the standard attacking slices too, such that you are "aiming out of court", as Matt described. You would naturally expect this to be an ineffective deception (I did), but I have had this used against me and it works surprisingly well. The main benefit is that the "shapes" of the hitting actions are unexpected and resemble different "families" of shots, and it just adds one more layer for confusing your opponent.

Being practical though, I would say that sort of stuff is probably only worth pursuing if you are a professional singles player with a talent for deception. And even then, the standard slices are much more useful. Still it could be fun to toy around with. :)

eelvis likes this.
  8. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

Eelvis, is it a slice you are seeing, or a cut ? I know that LCW cuts a lot from the rear FH corner, and that of course is a different shot and technique to the slice - could this be your problem ?

9. eelvis

eelvis Regular Member

Not sure the difference?

10. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

As I understand it, a cut is a sharper shot, aiming really to make the shuttle spin very quickly and drop tight to the net, whereas a slice (as you know) is a longer stroke, which results in a deeper shot. Typically the follow-through for a cut is very short, resulting in the racquet staying pretty close to where it started, whereas the slice usually results in the racquet finishing below waist height.

11. eelvis

eelvis Regular Member

Having been playing the cut recently working well but not it knowing the name of the shot. So much to learn in this game, every days a school day.