NEW: Fixed Height Experiment for Service

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by CantSmashThis, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Master

Master Regular Member

As I posted at New ITTO replace RTTO thread :

1.15 metres Fixed Height Experiment included in updated PDF version of Laws of Badminton (5th January 2018) : Section 4.1 Laws of Badminton - 05012018

Changes :

9.1.6.2 For Fixed Height Experiment: The whole of the shuttle shall be below 1.15 metres from the surface of the court at the instant of being hit by the server's racket.

9.1.7.1 For Fixed Height Experiment: 9.1.7 does not apply.

2. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Thanks Visor. I hadn't realised it was two planes of glass.

I think its a good start and certainly better than judging by human eye alone but it is still far from perfect. This method relies on the service judge's eye to be perfectly level with both lines but at the same time, they must focus on the shuttle 3 or so metres away. If the two planes of glass are say an inch apart, a small deviation, say 0.5-1mm could end up being 50-100mm off.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Two threads covering same topic merged

4. Ronster

Ronster Regular Member

The shuttle distance from the service judge will also vary tremendously as players can serve anywhere inside the huge service box

5. juneau-AK

juneau-AK Regular Member

This is simple geometry. The effect of any improper lining up of eye-balls in the near-field will be exaggerated the further away the farther-field object is.

Not only that, this system would work only if the shuttle is being seen. In XD mainly, the crouching player in front is most often occluding the shuttle. The location-placement of the device, and location of the viewer (the eyes of the service judge) has to be optimisable to accommodate each server.

There will be the adjustment period, just as when the challenge system was introduced, so it remains to be seen how long the maturity process takes.

6. 2wheels04

2wheels04 Regular Member

The Dutch already report the device is not universally suitable. It is not known what club it was tested or who put the device together, however, it appears that there are several variables, including the one raised in this forum about not lining eyes properly.
    Read it here -

--

phihag likes this.
  7. juneau-AK

juneau-AK Regular Member

And that the dominant eye must line up properly with the two lines on the device. Umpires may not even know which of their two eyes has dominant vision. However this can be found by a simple test.

8. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

Simple! Ha ha.

This involves principles of astronomy, sailing, knowing constellations, parallax, declination, night sky, all such things.
    Here is a video that helps; scroll to 6 minutes 15 seconds - http://bit.ly/2DYSVvB

There is good information about a second, nothing to do with badminton of course. Enjoy doing the simple test.

9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

To add some more fuel to the fire:

I would say that Viktor's serve is not looking much different than currently. He's bending the knees just a bit so that he gets pretty close to his usual service height. Whereas Mads Pieler Kolding is standing completely upright with straight knees to make the issue appear even more extreme than it actually is.

phihag likes this.
  10. Master

Master Regular Member

So, German Open will be the first tournament to try this new service rule actually. Hmm...

swsh and phihag like this.
  11. whatsthecallUmp

whatsthecallUmp Regular Member

The German Open category is Grade 2, Level 5, play in Mulheim-An-Der-Rhur.
    Standby 6March everyone.

This year futbal have VAR, badminton have serve device. This make sport good watch and discuss. Yes?

This topic many reply on page 1. There 694 topic. Other topic no reply 2 year. Wah.

#351 whatsthecallUmp, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  12. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

It is?! I thought it was the All England as said in the original press release. The All England prospectus also states
    The Badminton World Federation (BWF) will start testing an Experimental Service Law
    (Fixed Height) at the YONEX All England Open 2018
    So I'd assume it'd be started there.

#352 CantSmashThis, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  13. phihag

phihag Regular Member

German Open starts on 2018-03-06 (March 6th).
    All England starts on 2018-03-14 (March 14th).

So, All England will use the fixed height laws as well, but it won't be the first tournament to do so.

14. Master

Master Regular Member

It's in-line with the PDF that was posted earlier here.

I've just rechecked the document : BWF Letter - Fixed Service Height Testing

phihag likes this.
  15. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

I agree that the tool is weird. A "holographic scope" type of device would be more useful (some have a lot less parallax effect). Or a height-line-laser, still wanna try that out at my club.

16. whatsthecallUmp

whatsthecallUmp Regular Member

One question:
    who decide serve height problem more?
    No, okay, two question:
    focus serve height, what happen to feet move, racquet point down, first feather hit, delay action?​

Please guide where find information.

17. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

What you mean by ** problem more ** ?
    Who decided that service height is more problem than other fault situations given in question two.
    English not my primary language, so I try to understand.

18. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I'm confused because in the original press release in this article http://bwfbadminton.com/news-single/2017/11/29/experimental-service-law-from-march-2018 it states:

A proposed change to the Laws of Badminton will be brought before the BWF Annual General Meeting in May to give effect to this testing. It will mandate that “the whole of the shuttle shall be below 1.15 metres from the surface of the court at the instant of being hit by the server’s racket” and the first event of the new BWF tournament series at which this experimental law will be introduced is the YONEX All England Open Badminton Championships 2018.

19. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

What is the confusion-origin?

My understanding of federation business of changing law is that that takes place at AGMs. Only then it becomes law. The current phrase used as Experimental Service Law is not proper. It is either an experiment of fixed height service, or it is not. It may be that 'experimental service' is key term.

Did you mean the " and the first event .. will be ... All England .."? That was a Nov '17 posting on website, was it not? Surely, that is in business parlance called a forward-looking statement. They can change that. These are non-binding. Even then, it is between the AE organisers and BWF, let them figure out. One thing is certain though, lots of chatter on BC, and that will be good.

For umpires, this is easy. Let the referee get the aching head. Bring it out in the officials' briefing, or prior to accepting invite to the Level 2 events.

But by golly, if you are going to AE18, all the best. Who all from BC is going?

#359 psyclops, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  20. Littlejohn

Littlejohn Regular Member

Lazy Bum
    In mixed doubles one often finds that the female player will stand in front of her male partner when the man is serving, this often means that the servers action is potentially hidden from the service judge. This is not always a problem as the service judge can lean forward or to the side so as to get a clear view. So what happens with the new height measure, does the service judge simply ignore it and revert to the 'judge it by eye, measure ....or.. to ensure consistancy, do they try to move the measure into place. I assume they would do the former but doesnt this somewhat undermine the process, we could easily have pairs adopting the position of the non server blocking the view with the measure. Surely if this process is to be introduced then ALL serves should be judged in the same manner..... or are we to have service held up by the umpire until the service judge can use his new bit of tech