String has broken, looking for a replacement

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Dan663423, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Dan663423

Dan663423 Regular Member

Hi. I am a beginner player and the string on my racket has gone for the first time. So now I am looking for a replacement string. I had the BG65TI string which was the default recommended one by Yonex at 24 lbs. I understand Yonex use this one because it lasts a long time and is known for its durability.

Durability isn't really an issue for me though, if I have to replace the string every month, that is fine by me. I would rather go for a string thats less durable, but a better all round string. Ive had a look at this page http://www.yonex.com/products/badminton-string-matrix/ but it doesnt really help me.

Please can somebody recommend a Yonex string for a beginner without taking durability into account?

2. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Do you want a harder feeling string? Could try BG80. You will either love it or hate it.

3. Dan663423

Dan663423 Regular Member

I have only ever tried BG65TI so I am not sure how different a harder feeling string would feel. Would it be massively different to BG65ti? Any advantages or disadvantages of a harder feeling string?

4. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I think it's mostly a matter of personal preference. With a harder feeling string you have a crisp and "harder" feedback when you hit the shuttle. You may or may not want this feeling. In fact, with strings it's mostly a matter of preference. You just have to try them to decide what you like. Since you have said that you're a beginner player, different strings won't really give you a huge difference in your game, as at that level it's mostly dependent upon your technique (swing, foot work, etc.). Therefore, you might as well try them each time you break a string and see which one you'll like. Once you try a string that you just go "wow", you'll know it's the right one for you.

If durability is not a concern I would suggest the following to try: BG80 (hard feeling), BG66UM (medium feeling), BG80P or BG85 if you want slightly less hard feeling than 80. If you have other brands available you could also try Lining No.1 (you can find alot of people on this forum like this string), Gosen G-tone 5 etc.

5. Dan663423

Dan663423 Regular Member

I have seen the BG80 one mentioned quite a few times on the forum. This seems to be the most popular one so I think I will try that one. I found this link http://flybyknight.in/best-strings-for-badminton-rackets-online/ . if you scroll down there is a table with scores in for each string. Wouldnt it be better to get something like the Aerosonic because it scores highly in all areas apart from durability? Or is this table not every accurate?

6. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I'm not sure how often you play but you'll soon find that durability really does become a problem (unless you have deep wallets and literally couldn't care less). Aerosonic is a very thin string and so it does provide more repulsion but I would argue that it only shines at high tension (like most thin strings) and so I didn't suggest it if you were just wanting to try different strings out at 24lbs. Looking at the table I would say the scores are quite accurate but the thing is a higher score doesn't mean it's better for you. This is why I said it's a matter of personal preference. Just like rackets and grips, there isn't objectively a "best".

Just as an example to the above, alot of people like BG66UM, but it doesn't hold tension very well. You'll love it when it's freshly strung, but are you really going to restring your racket every 3 sessions? These are things to consider. BG80 on the other hand holds tension very well, but has "lower" scores.

Fidget likes this.
  7. Dan663423

Dan663423 Regular Member

I play for around 6 hours a week. I would prefer a string that keeps the tension. I dont want it to only be at peak performance for a few hours, and then have it feeling not so good later on. I do find that I lack a lot of power, it might be because I dont have the proper technique yet or I just dont have the strength or because of my string. I am hoping that I will have much more power with another string, this is one of the reasons I want to get a different string other than the BG65TI. At the same time though I dont want to lose the control. So BG80 would be a good fit?

8. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Hmm, I'm surprised that you don't have enough power at only 24lbs. What racket are you using? A string won't compensate much for the lack of power if your technique is poor, but based upon what you described, I think the next string to try is definitely BG80. Maybe avoid the thinner strings for now until you can generate power at higher tensions.

9. Dan663423

Dan663423 Regular Member

I have only been playing for around 4 months so I think my technique is just wrong. I am using the 3u Yonex Astrox 77.

10. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Good racket :) definitely feel free to experiment with different strings!

11. Dan663423

Dan663423 Regular Member

Thanks for the help. I will try the BG80

12. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    If the BG80 is too hard for you, you can consider NBG95.