Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    LYD/YYS would be no match for KSS/MG now. Even in 2016 when they beat KSS/MG, it was by no means a walkover. However despite LYD becoming world no. 1 with YYS and winning many SS, in my opinion he was not as good as he was in 2008-2011.

For me a 2010 LYD/JJS would probably beat a current KSS/MG but it would be a tough match. A 2016 LYD/YYS would struggle to beat a current KSS/MG.

And whilst I highly rate FHF/ZN I personally don't think they would be good enough to beat KSS/MG of today. A FHF/CY in their prime probably would though. Just my opinion of course! :)

Hannibal127 likes this.
  2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I'm pretty sure both JJS/LYD and FHF/Cy would've been too solid in defense for them, and still pretty decisive in attack. Just saw a video a few days ago where Gideon needed like 5 smashes from the middle of the court to end the rally - their attack is really not that penetrating compared to Fu or Jung in their heyday.
    It's entirely speculative though as we'll never get to see a direct comparison :)
    I'm not entirely sure about YYS/LYD either, I'm pretty sure they'd be fairly even in their head-to-head, barely anyone could hang with them in the flat game, and their defense was very solid.

Hannibal127 likes this.
  3. Desireless

Desireless Regular Member

In case you failed to notice, HS/MA were leading 15-14 in G2 when MA injured his leg. If not for that, the match could have gone either way.

4. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

so funny why always like to compare with LYD/JJS CY/FHF are they even worth comparing?

Because if Kevin thinks too much like you, i dont think he can get to 8 consecutive finals. He will think that its too hard to chase LYD 36 MD Superseries titles (even when he already have 11) or he will think it is too hard to get 2 olympic gold medals like Fu. and yeah its hard, no point thinking about it. He only cares if he is richer than them by the time he retires and thats what BWF promotes (more money).

Its probably what the rest of the pair think of kevin like Li/Liu etc that its hard to win 11SS titles and the truth is sometimes they try too hard. Thats why they always lost. so Dont try too hard to be like LYD or Fu just be himself. Thats what make him successful at his age. If they are so good, why cant Lee or Fu reach 8 consecutive finals? gotta ask yourself.

Just let it flow. anything that meant to be, will be.

#864 Yoji, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  5. edogaktop

edogaktop Regular Member

Comparisons of the greatests in sport have always been inevitable (kobe vs jordan, messi vs maradona, ali vs tyson etc). The fact that Kevin/Marcus has drawn comparisons towards badminton hall of famers like fhf/zn or fy, or lyd/yys or jjs actually says a lot of (good) things about this young pair.

6. Abe.Wi

Abe.Wi Regular Member

That's right people just love to compare, even fictional characters got compared to each others.

I hope HS/AH got better through this year so INA would have stronger MD to accompany or even to push KS/MG even further.

stanleyfm likes this.
  7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well until he wins at least one OG Gold you can't make any sort of reasonable argument that he's better than Fu, but I agree on your point of not comparing him so early in his career. That's not fair, given he has had few chances to win a big title. After 2020, that'll be a bit different - but the only somewhat conclusive comparison you can make is after his career. During their active time, LYD had several points where he looked to be better than Fu/Cai/ZN, but at the end, you'll still rate those higher that wine the big titles.
    Wait and see. We got WC and Asian Games coming up this year, another test for them.

Hannibal127 likes this.
  8. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

My wife said she thinks Kevin is better than LeeYongDae. More attractive ballshots. Being in 8 Finals consecutive are something Lee/Fu cant achieve :)

And i dont think ZhangNan is better than Kevin/LeeYongDae. He cant even win SS with LiYinhui, if he is that good he should be able to! He only relies on ZYL. Ended up winning 1SS with Liu and WC.

#868 Yoji, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  9. Abe.Wi

Abe.Wi Regular Member

This is interesting though, do you think it has something to do with their height? I think Gideon smash is quite strong, but most of the time it is kinda flat, because if he aim lower it might stuck in the net.

10. edogaktop

edogaktop Regular Member

Fhf's power is just out of this world. But on the other hand, I think gideon is the more versatile player; his net game and his defense are arguably better than fhf's

11. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

congrats minions, 5th straight titles from 8th consecutive final.

it's great to watch them play without all that psywar thing :D

12. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

I don't think gideon's defense are better than fhf.

Hannibal127 and samkool like this.
  13. Abe.Wi

Abe.Wi Regular Member

And his reflexes

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I'm not sure whether it's ineffective placement or lower speed than others. Maybe a combination. He usually does a good job of setting up Kevin though, just doesn't score a big number of points directly compared to the best smashers.
    The clip I'm thinking of was included in the Gideon video by some highlight channel - I'll try and find it on the PC later.
    I think he's pretty similar to Ahsan in that he doesn't have a huge smash or angle, but can rain them down a lot and has the movement to keep smashing, even when the defense is moving him side to side well. Actually the two pairs are very very similar, both having one player that's obviously more talented and decisive at the front, and a very similar work horse kind of player that prefers playing from the back court.

15. Abe.Wi

Abe.Wi Regular Member

Hahaha just don't touch Kevin's nerve, all is good

16. r3v0lv3r

r3v0lv3r Regular Member

Nice win.. 5 in a row now. Anyone know what is the record for consecutive tournament wins? Not necessarily need to be in the same calendar year.
    One additional observation, think their defensive play has gotten even better now.

Sent from my vivo V3Max using Tapatalk

17. Abe.Wi

Abe.Wi Regular Member

Kevin made a lot of bold and risky moves, sometimes he speculatively anticipate the return, other times to he intercept the shuttle in Gideon's zone. Which is great when it succeed, it made him unpredictable, but can be fatal when it didn't. Gideon did a good work covering that hole left by Kevin. He also a great playmaker for Kevin. Gideon might not have the best technique. But his play style best suited for Kevin, I think that's why both make a great MD.

r3v0lv3r, tukangidol, samkool and 2 others like this.
  18. Abe.Wi

Abe.Wi Regular Member

Their final match today. Look at Kevin's return around 8:46. How the hell he did that? Haha

#878 Abe.Wi, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Zaki689 likes this.
  19. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

latest 2018 record (win-loss):

10 - 0

20. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I believe they have the best WinLoss record in 2017, also have the most wins in one calendar year for SS ( maybe xiaoli/yuyang / Leechongwei is better) but definitely they are the best in Md history of SS.

tukangidol likes this.