Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

indeed
    squash is very similar with fencing as well
    volleyball is a bit different because the jumping motion that is a bit different (thus the shoes are actually a bit different). But the rest is the same

2. pierreyj

pierreyj Regular Member

I meant they are both racquet sport and tourneys are alike too. Grand slams are same as superseries with their own tradition and history. Wimbledon is as important to a tennisman as All England is for a badminton player... Tennis has more media attention and people prioritize Grand slam wins over anything else so why not do the same for badminton?

Both Poul-Erik Høyer Larsen and Chen Long has won OG but LCW will leave a deeper footmark in badminton's history.

Yoji and stanleyfm like this.
  3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Tennis is much less nationalistic, you compete as an individual without the national federations being involved or much attention being placed on your nationality. It has placed less importance on the Olympic Games for some reason, and has no real WC. Doubles are second class, and the team competitions are way less serious than individual grand slams.
    Altogether, I much prefer the landscape of badminton competition. It is a bit similar to other big sports, where the Olympic Games and World Championship are actually important and the national team competition is taken seriously. To lighten tournament load, one might think of making some of those rarer, similar to other sports - WC every 2 years (so, odd years as to not clash with OG) maybe, and Team competition at the Olympic Games might be cool too.
    Personally I actually think in regards to demographic and tournament circuit, table tennis is more similar to badminton than Tennis. They also have team events at the OG, btw, and those are quite interesting for nations without exceptional individual player but deep squads, and I really enjoyed watching them when I used to play (Germany always did very well there compared to individual events, partly because China only gets one team :D).

Edit: damn. I replied without looking at what thread this is in if a mod wants to move this to a different thread, I'd welcome that, it really went off topic with the last few posts

stanleyfm likes this.
  4. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Paul-Erik HL is mostly known for being BWF president nowadays, not many peopleremembers he won a OG.

5. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

They already dominate for 2 years - leading SS titles in each of the year. This will be third . but who cares if they dominate or not, most important is titles. They can win titles being the 1st seed or being the 10th seeds. Happens to be they are winning titles as 1st seeds. only LYD JJS has win more titles being the 1st seed

You can say SWH has dominate SS late stages as long as i can remember. He entered SS semifinals more than everyone in the last 5 years i think. but whats the point.

Looking at CaiFu only have 14SS titles so you can say that dominate? KevGid is only 2 titles behind. add the WC and olympics probably they have 20 titles. only 8 titles behind. go go go.

6. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

It is already off topic when FHF fanboys are here. most disgusting is they should post at FHF board in which nobody will care about it anyway lol. Nature of people just dont want to be overtaken.

7. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Olympic titles are important if you only see it as important.

Its important if the medal can sell for a million $ for that 2000/2004 winner otherwise i dont even think its important. Money is more important as athletes and that means winning tournaments titles these days.

8. Master

Master Regular Member

Even if the medal can be sold for any million $, nobody would sell it at all.

I tell you, the richest badminton player will do anything possible to get an olympic gold medal although they already has a silver medal.
    If you want money, don't be an athlete.

Olympic title is more about pride than money. If you insist in your standing about winning more tournaments, don't tell anything about the best player. But you can call it the richest badminton player.

The best is yet to come for both Kevin/Marcus, they need to give more to prove themselves are better than the current status as the world No.1 at BWF Ranking. There are All England (to defend the title), Asian Games, World Championships, World Tour Finals and also Tokyo 2020 Olympics in their upcoming years.

9. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Then dont sell it.

Look at the olympic medallist who becomes poor and why they become athlete at first place

10. mart333

mart333 Regular Member

On the topic of Olympic Medals and WC being the most important in Badminton, and the notion that without winning either one of these 2 titles a player will not be considered GOAT here's my 2 cents.
    Yes Olympic medal is prestigious.
    WC is less prestigious now because it is held every year, just like other super series event.I think All England is as important considering the history.
    Do you need Olympic/WC to be considered one of the greatest player? I think NO. LCW does not have both (yet) but I think he is a good GOAT candidate.
    BUT with Olympic/WC title, people tend to think they are GOAT candidate. Example: Taufik Hidayat. Some may argue he is not goat.. but some does.
    People discuss Lin Dan, taufik and LCW in the same breath..yet their achievements are different.

And as the sport evolves, the level of importance in certain tournament changes.
    Rudy Hartono has the record for All England. During his era it was probably the most prestigious tournament... yet I dont see his name mentioned. If the argument for GOAT is winning prestigious tournaments.. then no one beat Rudy Hartono.

Regarding Kevin/Gideon, I agree they need to prove themselves in the next year or 2.
    Gideon will be 29/30 in 2020 and it might affect his performance. But even without OG, if they can win consistently and ranked 1st in the next 2 years.. they should be on the same level as other badminton MD greats.

11. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

so, both of them gonna play with new rackets in all england ? kevin with astrox 88s and gideon with astrox 88d.

12. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

repainted astrox :D

melon94 likes this.
  13. r3v0lv3r

r3v0lv3r Regular Member

This... What separated GOATs and the rest is/are his/her/their sheer consistency to perform at the highest level.
    GOATs must be able to show this trait year in/year out. Kevin/Gideon has been very successful last year, but as the post above mentioned, they need to show this consistency for at least another 2 or 3 years, before they can be considered true GOATs. Else they will only be considered a flash in the pan or prodigies who never fulfill their true potential (BTW, I rate Taufik in this bracket).

With regards to titles, When comparing between GOATs, if everything else is close/equal with their individual achievement, here is where WC/OG achievement will come into play. Those who have won more will arguably be considered THE GOAT.

Another thing, that will also be probably play into people's mind, is the level of competition around the player(s).
    When you're winning right/left/center without much resistance, and no real competition (so to speak), then it's going to be very difficult to judge whether the player(s) are really that good. Probably they are winning, because their opponents, are just not that good.
    This is one of the reason why, in football, so many people put Maradona above Leo Messi. The level of WC players in Maradona's time is just insane. Hence it's difficult to judge what Messi has achieved individually in comparison, when you look at the level of competition.
    Same goes in badminton. This is one of the reason, a lot of people rate FHF/CY as one of the, if not the, best, as their competitions are other pairs that we will often categorize as GOAT candidates themselves. Winning at this level of competition is often valued much more, eventhough you might win less.

DanNguyen, Master and samkool like this.
  14. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

I don't think people rate maradona above messi because of the level of competition. it's more because he's already won major with argentina (world cup) while messi hasn't. if messi can lead argentina to a world cup title this year I think many people will finally agree that he's the GOAT. same reason why I think some people still put taufik above LCW.

15. r3v0lv3r

r3v0lv3r Regular Member

Agreed, hence I've put Major achievement (WC/OG) as a one of the factor when differentiating GOATs.
    But the level of competition will surely also influence how people see these athlete's achievement.

BTW, only Taufik diehard fans will ever put him above LCW. If you're being objective or just being neutral, there's no chance of this happening. He just never sustain the level of performance long enough.
    GOATs are not defined by talent alone, but in combination with dedication and their sheer will to be the best and stay there. In this regard, Taufik fell way short of LCW. And I'm saying this as an Indonesian who admire Taufik's talent when he first burst into the scene.

samkool, edogaktop, DanNguyen and 3 others like this.
  16. sen

sen Regular Member

I agree with the post above.

Roberto Baggio is the GOAT in many people opinion, those who admire his dedication

I think comparison will result in endless debate, as shown in this never ending thread(and some other threads)

r3v0lv3r likes this.
  17. Abe.Wi

Abe.Wi Regular Member

It's something like guilty pleasure, we know it's useless but we can't stop doing it haha

sen likes this.
  18. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I think like most people have already said, to be considered the GOAT is all about consistency at the top. Just look at Federer. When he had his amazing year last year and then defending Aus open this year, then regaining world number 1, suddenly people are saying Federer is reconfirming himself as the GOAT. Without these grand slams there wouldve been a good chance that Nadal could catch him very soon and suddenly people are unsure if Nadal should be considered the GOAT, even though 10 of his slams have been on clay. To be the GOAT in a sport it's all about proving yourself over and over again, for as long as possible. LCW and LD are 36, and they're still in the top 10, that's how you know they're goat candidates.

r3v0lv3r and samkool like this.
  19. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Well, its obvious that KevinGideon is already as good as the pairs from the past in fact not just from winning titles after titles but from their way of playing. Character. I still stand you will never see 2 170cm guys as good as them again. The past characters are almost the same. Thats what makes them different ( what more by winning titles). Just like how good BlackPanther is in BoxOffice.

But taufik? I dont think he is as good as LCW, seriously despite he winning OG. He doesnt even stay top for long. Its just a title he and the nation can cherish but individually, no? How can someone who lose so far H2H be better than the other, to begin with.

20. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

and winning 12SS titles are not flash in a pan. A flash in a pan is like how IvanovSozonov won AllEngland or how FuZhang won the OG, imo.

The level of competition is just as fierce. One can say all the pairs are bigger, taller and stronger than minions physicaly. but why oh why. Maybe its mental boundaries and not the physical competitions of itself. When you feel other guys won SS, you just become lazy yourself.