Badminton: Two Malaysian players banned 20 and 15 years for match-fixing

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by SibugiChai, Feb 12, 2018.

1. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Zulfadli and Chun Seang to attend match-fixing hearing in Singapore
    [​IMG]
    Tan Chun Seang of Muar City BC in action against Syed Akhbar Shah of Puchong United BC during the final of the Resorts World Genting Champions Challenge 2016. -- M. Azhar Arif/The Star 17 Jan 2016

PETALING JAYA: Shuttlers Zulfadli Zulkiffli (left) and Tan Chun Seang have made travel arrangements to attend a hearing on match-fixing in Singapore today.

Former world junior champion Zulfadli and ex-Thomas Cupper Chun Seang will be represented by their lawyers over the two-day session at the Hotel Jen Tanglin in Orchard Road.

The hearing will be conducted by a three-member panel from the Badminton World Federation (BWF).

The world body have suspended two shuttlers and they had informed the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) of their decision last December.

BAM president Datuk Seri Norza Zakaria, in a press conference held on Feb 13, confirmed that two players had been suspended but said they were not players under the national body.

Instead, he pointed out that they were independent shuttlers although Norza did not name them.

But it is learnt that the two shuttlers are former internationals Zulfadli and Chun Seang, who have been suspended pending today’s hearing.

They will be questioned based on some findings linked to match-fixing activities.

The 25-year-old Zulfadli has not played in any international tournament since his 22-24, 19-21 defeat to Leong Jun Hao of Malaysia at the Thailand Masters in January.

Chun Seang too has not played in any international competitions since the Thailand Open in June last year.

Zulfadli defeated Viktor Axelsen of Denmark to win the world junior title in 2011. He also won the Asian junior title in 2011.

He won two titles in 2016 – the Russia and Brazil Opens.

The 31-year-old Chun Seang was a member of the 2010 Thomas Cup Finals team. He, however, left the national team in 2011 and was banned from competing in Asian tournaments for two years by the BAM for quitting the national team.

He has won four titles – the 2012 Peru International, 2012 Tahiti International, 2012 Bulgarian International and 2013 Canada Open.

https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/ba...g-to-attend-matchfixing-hearing-in-singapore/

2. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Wonder what will the observer says tomorrow. I hope he won't give a disappointing statement like "We will wait for BWF to confirm if the players are guilty of match fixing."

But I guess that is likely all he can say, lol...

Anyway, what will happen to their opponents, supposing that the players are really involved in match fixing? Will they lose the points that they won? Or will BWF not count that match, but allow them to retain the points, so as not to affect the innocent? It's really bad if the innocents got caught in this fire.

3. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    nothing will happen to the innocent parties on the other side of the net. your points expire in 52 weeks anyway.

Cheung and alien9113 like this.
  4. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

5. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Four non-Malaysian witnesses and records dating back to tournaments in 2013 were presented by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) three-member panel in the match-fixing hearing of Malaysian shuttlers Zulfadli Zulkiffli and Tan Chun Seang.

The 25-year-old Zulfadli and Chun Seang, 31, were represented by their counsels at the hearing by the BWF’s disciplinary committee at the Hotel Jen Tanglin in Orchard Road, Singapore, yesterday.

Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM)’s Jadadish Chandra, who has been appointed to keep a watching brief on the hearing, said he was unable to give the details of the hearing but merely stated the proceedings.

“There were preliminary objections raised by the counsels for both players. Both were addressed by the panel at the same time,” said lawyer Jadadish, who is a key member of BAM’s Rules, Disciplinary and Integrity Committee.

“There are six charges against them and one of the offences took place at the Korean Grand Prix.

“BWF called their witnesses and they were cross-examined by the players’ lawyers. The BWF then wrapped up the evidence presented by the witness.

“The shuttlers did not speak as their lawyers did the talking.”

Asked about the nature of the evidence provided by the witnesses, Jadadish said: “I’m unable to share that information.”

Jadadish said the players would give their side of the story in the second half of the hearing today.

The three-member panel are expected to conclude their findings after today’s hearing and they will forward their judgement to the BWF.

If found guilty, the players are set to be banned for life – a first of such a decision by the world badminton body.

“The panel may reach a verdict at the conclusion of the hearing but the verdict may only be communicated to the players until a reasoned written judgement is ready.”

Zulfadli bagged the Asian junior title and defeated Viktor Axelsen of Denmark to win the world junior title in 2011 while Chun Seang was a member of the 2010 Thomas Cup Finals team.

https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/ba...ses-testify-at-shuttlers-matchfixing-hearing/

6. SibugiChai

YAB
    “The shuttlers did not speak as their lawyers did the talking.”

wah, sounds like serious stuffs...

7. Akim1

Akim1 Regular Member

Coach
    This doesn't really make sense. Who is it that Zulfadli allegedly should have lost to in Korea Grand Prix that would be deemed as "fixed".
    In 2013 he withdrew in the 2nd game after losing the first thereby making all bets void, did not participate in 2014 and in 2015 the name was changed to Korea Masters.

8. SibugiChai

YAB
    Bookies might ask the player(s) to win but since the player(s) feel like he cannot win, instead of losing which means losing big sum of money, player(s) might give walkover during the match which resulted in the whole match being void.

9. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

what kind of bookies ask a player to win and pay them some money? the players want to wni even without bookies, aren't they? hahahaa

visor likes this.
  10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Seems some people have an incomplete understanding of how fixing a match works. :)

11. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Can u explain more in details, please? :D:D:D

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The newspapers will do a good job over the next few days .

Baddyforall likes this.
  13. SibugiChai

YAB
    Yes there are many bookies who pay players to win matches, to make sure no others bookies pay them to lose. Look up Abbas Saad, who play football in Singapore.

further to that, Bet is on the run, that’s mean live, at certain stages, it might be better for the player to win but if the player cant, in order not to lose big money, better to give walkover to void the match.

In the Asian betting system, there is win big and small, so how many points the players win also will determine the outcome of the bets.

14. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Easy bro....that day I had a friendly badminton game with my mother and my father bribed me to desperately wanting me to beat mother but since she is my mother and I have to respect her therefore.... during the match I "fixed" a plan with mother that the money father gave, I will buy mother a nice massage chair if he purposely let me win and she did. In the end.... Mother got massage chair, I got money, father happy, BAM doesn't know anything and all parties happy and case solved..... That's how match fixing should be done.

pcll99, visor, stanleyfm and 4 others like this.
  15. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    maybe that's what your father had wanted all along, buying a massage chair for your mother. :)

#135 pcll99, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    stanleyfm and shooting stroke like this.
  16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    "Look honey, I bought you a flat screen TV for christmas!"

17. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

18. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    It happens in even big events close to 20 years back. Some official just close an eye. This happens when a world top 3 loose to a home team player. For you to find out who it is. Especially semifinals onwards. ;)

If you are inquisital, you can dig it out which tournament it is. Not far. ;)

19. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Anyway these 2 guys doesnt have future in badminton anymore. A good example for those who are not corrupt. Still the big worms is still inside BAM. Need to eradicate them. Its the root.

stanleyfm likes this.
  20. din

din Regular Member

executice