What is the point of having matches simultaneously on two courts in the Quarter Finals?

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by abhijain298, Mar 16, 2018.

1. abhijain298

abhijain298 New Member

I posted a thread on Twitter

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

2. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Because it's normal in QF?

3. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

A 20 hour workday is pretty tough for spectators, staff and players.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it just math.

there are 20 matches at the QF levels.

if played sequentially, with an estimate of 45mins each (say, ~30mins play time + warmup/etc) will take 15 hours.

That's not feasible.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Isn't it obvious ?

GingerCorslette likes this.
  6. visor

visor Regular Member

That's partially why BWF wants to change scoring system to 5x11 points. Shorter matches.

7. abhijain298

abhijain298 New Member

None of you guys read my twitter thread. What I proposed is a schedule like this, where atleast around 3 matches can get exclusive audience attention. Please read my Twitter thread.[​IMG][​IMG]

8. abhijain298

abhijain298 New Member

Hey, @bwfmedia & @YonexAllEngland
    Why keep matches on two courts simultaneously for the entire Quarter-finals day? There are matches like Lee Chong Wei vs Lin Dan, Okuhara vs Sindhu, Yamaguchi vs Marin, the home favourite Adcock couple, etc which are fantastic matchups. Players like these deserve the entire stadium's attention. When there are two matches going on at the same time, it has a very high school tournament feel to it and gets very distracting for the crowd as well as irritating for TV viewers. I've seen matches on TV and i keep getting irritated by announcements and umpire saying the scores on other courts. I mean, is this what we really want for the future of the sport? I can understand if it happens before the quarters, as there are limited resources. But from Quarter-finals onwards, there should definitely be matches which are EXCLUSIVE! Nothing else should be going on! I don't know if I'm the only one thinking this, but I'm sure that players like Lee Chong Wei and Lin Dan have earned the right to command everyone's attention. This year, the India Open and the Malaysia open tried a schedule where court 2 and court 3 matches were completed earlier and thus, last 3 matches on court 1 could get pure, sole attention from the crowd. Here's the schedule. Tell me I'm wrong about this.[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Don't have twitter

10. TSO22

TSO22 Regular Member

I don't see any problem having 2 courts playing at the same time, may be the people who think like that is a minority.

And the reason why Malaysia, Indonesia and India had 8 matches on court 1 and 5 matches on each of other court is that they are Super 500 tournaments!, 8 matches are broadcast on BWF channels, so it's reasonable that 12 other matches are separate into 2 courts.

For Super 1000, 10 matches are broadcast everyday, that's why there are 10 on court 1 and 10 others on the other court, no reason to separate.

11. R4yZ0r

R4yZ0r Regular Member

Student
    You've never actually been to a BWF tournament have you?

12. abhijain298

abhijain298 New Member

I've seen it on television and i know many people who stopped watching the game because they just laughed at the fact that a world no.1 player is l
    playing while the crowd is cheering someone else on another court. You know what i'm talking about man.

13. abhijain298

abhijain298 New Member

I was seeing some matches yesterday. Really high quality quarterfinal matches. 3 of my friends asked me why the crowd was cheering so loudly while a point was going on? I told them it's the other courts. They couldn't believe that the quarterfinals of such a high level tournament were being played like this.

That's when even i realised how important it is to have exclusive audience attention for matches. Leads to better player-crowd interaction, tv viewing quality and a clean experience. I hope i'm making sense.

#13 abhijain298, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  14. abhijain298

abhijain298 New Member

Just see the difference in crowd atmosphere in the semifinals and the quarterfinals. It's so clearly evident. Don't tell me it's not feasible to use 3 courts instead of two.

Ten matches can be kept on court 1. Five each on court 2 and 3. Hell it doesn't even matter if the first 15 matches are spread on 3 courts together. But then the last 5 matches can come exclusively. And these are the 5 matches which should be capitalised on. The highest viewership value, top ranked, highest revenue generating and the most recognisable players can take up the exclusive spots. You see what I'm saying? The first 5 matches on tv will have two active courts adjacent to it, which is not much different fron having only one court adjacent to it. But the last five matches can provide something special.

15. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Like normal circumstances?
    Crowd have a choice on who to cheer for.

R4yZ0r likes this.
  16. abhijain298

abhijain298 New Member

I'm just comparing it to any other sport where an athlete can enjoy the entire stadium to herself/himself.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

What if the match you think is going to be exciting ends up being a damp squib ?

B-J-R likes this.
  18. abhijain298

abhijain298 New Member

Exactly what happens when Nadal beats Federer in a boring straight sets game, or when Chelsea plays a boring defensive game against Barcelona. You know what happens? People still watch and legends stay legends.

BadAtGoodminton likes this.
  19. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Yeah, that's why people watch legend vs legend LCW vs Lin Dan instead of Taka/Matsu.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I have been to a lot of quarter finals. I like having simultaneous matches. I can pick and choose which match to watch.

I would like to know which other sports you think do it better than badminton under the same logistics.