Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Woman.in.Red

Woman.in.Red Regular Member

Enjoying life
    Yes. Marcus was often doubted, even by the PBSI. He had a mental breakdown when the PBSI excluded him from the Thomas Cup team, triggering him to resign from the National Training Center (Pelatnas). Even Kevin had once doubted him. But, after thousands of hours of training, now we can see the much improved Marcus.

I just hope the juniors don't feel intimidated by all the praises showered to the minions.

#1081 Woman.in.Red, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  2. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Marcus is the real inspiration of hard work and determination. He is supposed to be the role model for other players. Kevin was born with a special gift and talent (plus a natural in provocation and getting under the opponent's skin also helps), that itself is something that can't be obtained with just hard work or determination no matter how many hours you push yourself beyond your limit. Of course Kevin is definitely a very discipline and hard worker himself but he is in a way up at another level or should I say a different dimension. But it is not impossible to be as strong and as successful as Marcus. He is a more 'realistic human' version that anyone should try to aim.

So the next tournament will be Asia Championship in April?

indrg, stanleyfm and edogaktop like this.
  3. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Playing in China but not ChinaOpen, I rather them skip the AsiaChampionship. Dont see any point playing that.

stanleyfm likes this.
  4. Halcyon.Days

Halcyon.Days Regular Member

I think Kevin and Marcus are really talented. And they've got clear advantages over other pairs at the moment in agility. In fact I think they've got the perfect height for the fast flat exchanges too. They do not have to bend their bodies too much to be able to counter attack flat shots.

But what I cannot understand is how Kevin's (and to an extent Marcus') serves are not called fault more. If you look at how they serve, they often start from a non-fault position, then lift their non-racket hand (i.e. shuttlecock hand) prior to hitting the serve.

5. Abe.Wi

Abe.Wi Regular Member

Hm.. I am pretty sure the service judge was confused by their new uniform stripes. The strategy works guys! Thanks to Yonex :D

melon94 and visor like this.
  6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I thought BWF had this rule for top 20 Asian players have to participate in the AsiaChamphionship.

Though I must say you are not quite right there about the serves. You should have said how Marcus's serves are not called fault.

Kevin's serves are mainly within the legal height and direction if you watched them in a very very slow speed. He just moved his wrist and slashed the bottom of the shuttle quickly to make it tumbles. Sometimes his serves some fault flickers but he is too fast for the service judge to spot it lol. But most of the time his services are non-faults.

I can't say the same for Marcus's and MANY MANY other double players like Boe or Conrad etc though. Most of the times they serve at their chest level.
    Hence the new service rule, not above 1.15 m to make the service judging much easier and simpler (or so they claimed).
    I was laughing so hard when Mads Kolding's serve called fault for being "too high".

melon94 likes this.
  7. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

8. Abe.Wi

Abe.Wi Regular Member

I still can't believe BWF using that stupid plastic panel to measure the service. At least try investing in that laser pointer used for presentation :D
    Me too, I instantly remember his funny video with Victor training for the new service rule haha

9. Abe.Wi

Abe.Wi Regular Member

10. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Yeah, that's why they said they were still putting this on trial. I thought it was so unreliable and unprofessional for a tournament such All England Open level. They need to revise their judging and umpiring system after the last two tournaments.

After all his efforts of making that video and still got the fault. Li Jun Hui and Li Yiu Chen did much better job in 'lowering' their serves though lol. Poor guys.

11. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    bwf doesn't own the BAC.

12. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Sorry maybe not BWF who made the rules but :

"It is compulsory for the top ten (10) ranked Asian players in singles and doubles to compete in the continental championships"

13. wade

wade Regular Member

I just look at the h2h and boe/mog really had a bad h2h records against lee/yoo and ahsan/hendra. never won against lee/yoo in 6 meetings and only beat ahsan/hendra once in 5 meetings, and they're the pair who has the best record against kevin/gideon right now in the top 5. I think the level of mens double (sadly) has going down, but good for kevin/gideon I think ;)

14. edogaktop

edogaktop Regular Member

You said it like Boe/Mogensen is not good. They have been consistently in the top 5 MD since 2009 (except in 2016).

Don't forget they lost in their last three meetings with K/G, all straight sets.

About the MD quality being on a decline; to be honest, I genuinely think K/G make all the other pairs look bad due to their dominance. The quality of top MDs in all eras have always been more or less consistent after all. They are like the Warriors in the NBA. I can only imagine this is what all the head coaches think about their top MDs: "Are they good enough to best K/G"?

I actually feel bad for Boe/Mogensen. Just when CY/FHF and LYD/JJS era was over, there came LYD/YYS, FHF/ZN, MA/HS. When all of them are finished, K/G showed up. The longevity of their career just proves that they are never good enough to stand toe to toe with the very best of the three eras can offer.

15. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Isn't that mean that the level now is lower since the only pair that can compete with Minions is this pair that never good enough to stand toe to toe with the very best of the three eras can offer?

wade likes this.
  16. edogaktop

edogaktop Regular Member

Who said they can compete with K/G? [/b]They lost their last three meetings, straight sets[/b] ;)

Maybe in 2016-early 2017, but not in 2nd half of 2017-2018.

17. Abe.Wi

Abe.Wi Regular Member

I agree.. The other nations level of MD has going down ;)

Especially Korea and Malaysia. China just need to clone ZN and get him a good partner for goodness sake. Denmark was pretty much the same, BoMo was there since prehistoric time. Indonesia regeneration is good so far. Japan is catching up.

#1097 Abe.Wi, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  18. edogaktop

edogaktop Regular Member

Li/Liu, ZN/LC, Boe/Mogensen disliked this post :D

Where are the Koreans nowadays. They used to always have strong MDs.

19. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

i dont know if the level of mds has going down, but certainly missing a pair like lyd/yys who had amazing defense.

20. Master

Master Regular Member

It is actually compulsory for the Top 10 ranked Asian players in singles and doubles to compete in the continental championships.