Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. edogaktop

edogaktop Regular Member

I just watched this match from Singapore SEA Games 2015 and I noticed something interesting. Gideon looked very comfortable staying in front of the net. His load with Kevin in this match was almost 50-50. His block and smash also looked much more natural; his form probably has already been altered so much to give more oomph to his smash from the rear court.

I guess Gideon has changed his play style quite a lot to adjust to Kevin's.

melon94 and Woman.in.Red like this.
  2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Well, they need 7 more SS or so to their 13SS. I think with 20+SS will make the undisputed number 1 pair titles. That in itself with the record of 7SS in a year for MD, is worth one olympics and 1 world championship.

3. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Not to some people. I know know it's stupid but people will still go "haven't won Olympics or WC"...

4. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Its ok man. No one will said Roger Federer havent won Olympic. will he care? dont think so. Then people will said this is badminton, Imo, people who said so are just sport racists with this backwards thinking.

5. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I am a sport racist
    well. Thank you

This is badminton and olympic is much more important than SS. Minions won't stand on equal height as Ricky/Rexy before winning Olympics.

j4ckie, samkool and melon94 like this.
  6. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Then good luck waiting for minions crying at the corner of court after losing olympic matches. In an Olympic where loser can be champion, nah nah..

7. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

yeah. they will be crying in that case, because they are not equal as Ricky/Rexy

8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Why Ricky/Rexy?

9. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

gideon's game definitely look more smooth back then, and kevin wasn't as craziest fast as he is now lol.

10. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

actually, it is Ricky/Rexy, FuCai, and Tony/Candra
    but I use Ricky/Rexy because it is the one that Yoji put as the 'greatest' standard besides JJS/LYD.
    But of course JJS/LYD also doesnt win any olympic/wc gold, thus it nullifies my point if I use JJS/LYD

11. Abe.Wi

Abe.Wi Regular Member

The legendary duo R has won almost all major titles. Olympic (1996), Asian Games (1994, 1998), World Champ (1995), and All England (1995, 1996).

As someone who doesn't really give a damn about whose better than who I just enjoy the minions playing, proud of what they've achieved so far and hope for the best for them in the future. Hopefully they can also achieved most of the major titles. But if not, doesn't matter to me, as a fellow Indonesian I am still proud of them for keeping the Indonesian MD legacy alive.

stanleyfm and ebcd like this.
  12. indrg

indrg Regular Member

not Hendra/Kido? They won Olympic in Beijing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

if solely looking at their achievement, they are still lacking in domination

their domination longevity is quite short lived (2006-2010) and the number of SS (and open tournaments before SS inception) is also still below the others

14. Abe.Wi

Abe.Wi Regular Member

The true master here is Hendra, if we accumulate his achievement with Kido and Ahsan he has won it all haha

stanleyfm likes this.
  15. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Kido was a lazy lad to skip the Olympic; He could have won another one with Hendra.

16. Abe.Wi

Abe.Wi Regular Member

And if only Ahsan didn't caught back injury i believe they could achieve even more.

17. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I see.

Well I don't know if Marcus/Kevin is one of the greatest yet, but so far they have proved they deserved their titles and achievements which according to the world's records would be regarded as one of the highest in badminton world so far.

I think the level of MD is not really going down as some people claimed, most of the MDs competing right now have on many occasions defeated the former world champions or former world's no.1 in their prime time. Boe/Mog > FHF/ZN, Con/Kol > LYD/YYS etc.
    MD has always been very competitive, it has never been easy to win a title lest defending one. But why the minions has been able to dominate last year and early this year? The answer is because they have won most of their matches up until now, that's all. They might or might not be the greatest or strongest pair in terms of strength or power, but they are very good at winning matches one at a time which of course would lead them to be the champion eventually.

Every pair has their own pattern in their playing style and they usually stick to it most of the time. You can watch their videos and learn or analyse their playing style, coming up with tactics or whatever. But can you really find a way to cope with the minions? Maybe you can, last year. They have changed and improved a lot to cover their weaknesses. No matter how many matches you watch Kevin play, he until now still remains as a more or less unknown element on court. You can't really predict where he would be or what he would do especially when you are in a middle of a rally on court with all the tension and pressure. And to make it even more tricky he could literally hit any shuttle from any impossible position to a very odd place you can ever imagine. His antics might have annoyed the opponents in the past, but I doubt there are still any players that would be bothered by it anymore now. And Marcus's absolute trust in his partner is most possibly the other important key factor in their success. He lets Kevin do whatever he wants, and Marcus just gives his all to fill in the gap. Amazing duo it is.

I sincerely hope that they could keep their good work and be very careful with their physical fitness or injuries. It would be fantastic if they could win World and Olympics Gold too. But let's not think too far ahead.

Meanwhile, I will just wait for China to clone ZN then find him a good partner so he can put up a fight against Kevin and Markus. I wonder if ZN/ZN would be good enough combination? lol

visor, Master, Cheung and 1 other person like this.
  18. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

i wonder who is their no.1 rival and feud right now...?

19. Master

Master Regular Member

A compliment from former player, Jorrit de Ruiter

yuquall, stanleyfm and Abe.Wi like this.
  20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Of course no one will say that. Roger has Olympic gold ;)