NEW: Fixed Height Experiment for Service

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by CantSmashThis, Jan 10, 2013.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I guess the black lines should be thinner.

Also, three lines on three separate sheets (or glasses) may be better than just two.

Cheung and phihag like this.
  2. noobtron

noobtron Regular Member

"Below the waist" simple and easy. Straightforward to implement when playing with amateurs. I've seen tons of illegal serves too, I just call them out on it. Its not difficult to tell if its above or below the waist.

The fixed height on the other hand, no way for amateur clubs to implement without investing heavily on new technology. Not sure what wealthy clubs you guys play in but here in Canada, clubs do not have dedicated service judges.

ALL sports are affected by height in someway or another. People need to suck it up and get used to it.

3. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

lol nice one :D
    i completely disagree...a certain height can be shown to everyone...the "WAIST" was such a good idea and so distinctive, that the lowest rib was introduced as a helper! ...well find your lowest rib! I cannot really find on myself! o_O frontrib? backrib?...
    Some people like to think their waist is in their breasts! o_O

I always hated it and thats why im happy with a distinctive height. I can take a measurer and this is it. :)

Of course no technology should be needed in amateur clubs. It will work without. At least not worse than before

Slade likes this.
  4. noobtron

noobtron Regular Member

The problem is, are you going to take a tape measure every time someone serves? Realistically speaking, "waist" is just such a simple thing to implement when playing for FUN.

If fixed serve height is implemented, short people are going to serve WAY TOO HIGH because they "think" its 115cm. And I can't do anything unless I bring a tape measure with me every time I play. How would I measure it before they serve? I need a third party to do it, which goes back to the issue of having a service judge....

I just want to play the game....stop making this game difficult! :mad::confused::confused:

5. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I think this is getting too far guys. Your social and amateur games are yours to do as with you please. This is an experimental ruling. You neither have to or should switch to it. It isn't a standard that you need to worry about. Cross that bridge when you get to it in the future. I know old times who still play the 15 point game. The important things with sport are simply to have fun and to exercise.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

6. noobtron

noobtron Regular Member

Okay sorry leave it be, but fingers crossed :D:D:D

7. Slade

Slade Regular Member

A line or string woven into the net at service height gives an easy fixed reference for everyone to check against. That will be fine for club play and more accurate and reliable than each individuals interpretation of where their waist may be.

OhSearsTower and phihag like this.
  8. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Huh? If you are playing by pre-2006 rules, why do you worry so much about the current ones?

Surely if you haven't gotten around to adapt new rules in 12 years, you can sit out the fixed service height rules - which coming no earlier than 2020 for most national federations - for a while as well, can't you?

9. noobtron

noobtron Regular Member

??? Why don't you read the current rules before talking about pre/post 2006?

"9.1.6 the whole shuttle shall be below the server's waist at the instant of being hit by the server's racket. The waist shall be considered to be an imaginary line round the body, level with the lowest part of the server's bottom rib;"

Please read carefully before you post. Thank you

10. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Yes, since 2006 the shuttle must be under the lowest rib, not the waist. As indicated by the very rule you cited, the term waist in badminton is historic baggage, and not equal to the anatomical definition of waist.

11. noobtron

noobtron Regular Member

The very rule says below the waist. Lets not continue this argument:D:D

12. visor

visor Regular Member

How about belly button as a simple marker? All of us have one... all we need to do is wear shorter shirts exposing the belly button.

I'm sure we'll be watching much more exciting WD matches...

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Do you only conveniently choose to read part of the rule, and ignore the rest? The very rule that you posted? Why don't you carefully read thru the whole rule 9.1.6. again?

There is no argument at all.

phihag likes this.
  14. noobtron

noobtron Regular Member

Argument? What we arguing? Rule says waist, and waist is an imaginary line along lowest rib. What part is confusing to you? I can explain better :D

The point is, I like this rule, I don't like new experimental rule. That's my opinion:rolleyes:, and Ch1k0 said no need to continue. We play how we want

15. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

I thought that everybody had a belly button as well, but..... watch this.

There also are some ideas for belly button exposing shirts and what else to do with belly buttons.

visor likes this.
  16. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

1. Set the height to 120 so the logical naysayers will all shut up. Drives are still not used anyway, so who cares.
    2. The lines need to be with a hairline thickness instead of whatever it currently is, which is too high.

This will solve almost all the logical problems, I strongly believe.

Thomas Lund also posted a vid about this:

stanleyfm likes this.
  17. Slade

Slade Regular Member

1. Agree
    2. Thinner lines will be difficult to see, especially hairline thickness.

18. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

2. There should be about 3 layers of thin line to allow it to be seen easier but still maintain the accuracy

Cheung likes this.
  19. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    thomas lund said it best: 'perhaps taller players had an advantage all these years and shorter players had the disadvantage.' (not exact quote but you get the point.)

re. the thickness of the lines on the device... it doesn't matter how thick the lines are as long as the bottom of the line is 1.15m from the floor. i would rather see a very very very thick line, let's say 6" thick, so if any part of the shuttle is not seen under the line it is a fault... since that is the only factor for a fault serve.

20. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

it does matter because you may have the effect of 'seeing from higher angle' because you still see the black color of the first line even though it actually is not exactly at the same height with the second line, causes you to perceive a shuttle that is not at 1.15 m to be inside the black part

samkool and Slade like this.