Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Yeah.. I totally understand that.
    But I have witnessed some of my favorite athletes in the past had been crushed by the MEDIA and the country itself. What kind of national TV show criticized their own athletes victories or achievements. Even said that the athlete didn't deserve the victory when she had already won it. :mad::mad:

Um.. maybe Kevin should ask the President for more 'bonus' thrown in.

Cheung likes this.
  2. Abe.Wi

Abe.Wi Regular Member

Lol. True. Your comment remind me of this match when they met Ellis. They started so calmly and seems so relaxed. Then Ellis started to delay the service, protesting to judge and over celebrating. First round, 8-9 for England, Kevin switch to evil mode :D

Marcus got carried away quite easily too, he just seems more toned compared to Kevin. It would be funny though if we pair Kevin with Hendra who was known to have the ultimate poker face haha

#1222 Abe.Wi, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  3. Abe.Wi

Abe.Wi Regular Member

Well sadly this is true, anyway who was the athelete? What is the story about? It also remind me of our national football team, once they were under the spotlight they started acting up, too much media interview, scandal with celebrities, TV commercials and as we predicted they don't last for so long.
    The President will 'make it rain' for them if they can keep their performace and win the Olympic 2020. Tantowi/Liliana, each got IDR 5B cash reward, a house valued IDR 1.5B, and of course not to be mentioned another cash reward from their club and sponsors.

4. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I think Taufik belongs to this

5. Abe.Wi

Abe.Wi Regular Member

Haha right, Kevin's flamboyant style also remind me of him.

6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

The one that I regretted the most was Mao Asada, former Japanese Figure Skater. She lasted quite long because she was a fighter, but in my (and many others) opinion, her results or achievements should have been much much better if not for the constant pressure and spites from the media or the influential personnel of her own country. They publicly criticized and literally demoralized her every chance they had. And guess whom the public listen to? It was like the majority of the national (who didn't know what was what) went against her.

Yeah, we can only hope they can keep their performances. Just win the gold medals and don't let your country down or they will bash you, Marcus and Kevin.... No pressure at all:p.

7. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

But Taufik's attitude had a calming effect on you whereas Kevin's attitude rushes you.

8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Nothing about Kevin would give you even a bit of calming effect, least his attitude. If that time ever come, maybe we should be ready for the apocalypse. His presence, his aura and everything about him just make your blood rushes to your head. LOL
    Though off court, he is like a different person.

9. Abe.Wi

Abe.Wi Regular Member

It is a cold hard truth every athlete has to faced eventually. That's why they have to gain as much as possible while they got their momentum, which in most cases in a quite short period.
    Yeah.. But I think Taufik was quite moody as an athelete. Sometimes he just seems too lazy to play to me haha

And what also differentiate Kevin and Taufik is when they got treated unfairly. Kevin protest and than proceed to go even more beserk. Taufik protest and then got his mental down, he once walked out against Lin Dan if you remember

10. Woman.in.Red

Woman.in.Red Regular Member

Enjoying life
    This is what I dislike most about Taufik. When something didn't go as he wished, he let it affect his play. Too moody and got cranky so easily.

11. Woman.in.Red

Woman.in.Red Regular Member

Enjoying life
    Has anyone seen a "match" between Kevin/Marcus vs Indonesian Sports Minister Imam Nahrawi/Beben (his staffer)? It's hilarious :D

12. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

It's been a while since we have seen Marcus/Kevin last in a tournament and it feels like ages.

BAC 2018 has just finished and it felt so weird to not have our beloved minions in it.. :( No showboating, no cheeky antics, no stare down contest between Kevin and Liu Yuchen and so on and so on. The only thing that was so close to be as annoying was, sadly, the constant shouting between rallies by the No 1 Japanese pair which without the chanting or loud cheering from the crazy Indonesian fans was significantly much more audible and more intense than usual. To the point that the local fans were responding animatedly by making a lot of rude noises during the MD final match lol.

But as expected it was a tight competition among the top seeded WR#3 Liu Cheng/Zhang Nan, #4 Li Junhui/Liu Yuchen, #5 Takeshi Kamura/Keigo Sonoda and an unseeded CHN pair Huang Kaixiang/Wang Yilyu who all made it to SF.
    Liu/Zhang vs Kamura/Sonoda SF match turned out to be an upset (according to me at least, personally:)) where the Japanese narrowly managed to won over Liu/Zhang in the decider by 25-23.
    Li/Liu took the other final spot and managed to defend their title by defeating Kam/Son in a quite convincing way though losing G1 11-21 21-10 21-13. Good for Li/Liu as they haven't been able to win any title recently. Nothing much I could say about the other pair(s) as BAC has failed miserably to provide the fans any coverage at all except court 1. Unacceptable!!

Anyway, while their top rivals in Asia were battling each other to win the Asia Champion title, I wonder what Marcus/Kevin had been doing or how they would have felt about this. Though I am sure Marcus should be having a (much) better time than winning any title at the moment with his other half and who are we to blame him to have a deserved break after their spectacular achievements last year and this year so far.
    Congratulations again to Marcus and Agnes, may they have a wonderful life together.

I am going to rewatch all their matches I could find on Youtube starting from All England 2015 QF match against Con/Kold. Never get sick watching their matches over and over again.

13. necrohiero

necrohiero Regular Member

Student
    I think the break is needed.

They were complaining about some slight injury to marcus anyways; calm before the storm is nice, and Thomas cup creates a perfect platform, as it is not a tournament where they can just drop from the tournament if they lose.

14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

According to coach Herry in some interviews, he said that while Marcus has sustained some injuries for a period of time but he was most worried about Kevin's shoulder injury which happened some time around Indonesia Open last year. MRI scan clearly showed some torn muscles indicating it was pretty serious. Coach also mentioned that though Kevin's shoulder hasn't properly recovered but he was coping well with on-going treatment and therapies.
    I guess this is what Steen meant in one of his commentary last year when he mentioned about Kevin wasn't allowed to smash hard.

The new 12 mandatory tournaments participation is indeed going to be a strain for the minions and other top 15 players.
    I wonder who is the 'genius' that thought of this new rule and the schedule for the tournaments this year. What were they thinking when they scheduled 3 or 4 tournaments back to back? It is obvious that BWF's main concern is never about the players welfare. Yes, let's promote our sport and make the players turn up in every tournaments to do all the job for us. Easy-peasy, now what should we do to shorten the matches duration time so the sponsors will be happy and interested in to allow more TV broadcasting. Oh yeah, why not try draining up all the top players by forcing them to play in back to back tournaments so they can't do longer rallies anymore hence shorter matches time.

Anyway, what is Kevin's actual age? In BWF profile and wikipedia his year of birth is 1996 but in the players profile during warm ups on TV says differently.

15. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Well, i think Kevin smashes harder than
    before.

16. Griff88

Griff88 Regular Member

In case of Indonesian players, the real one is always listed in PBSI. And Kevin was born in 1996 instead of 1995.

yuquall likes this.
  17. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    Must be the Astrox right? :D:D:D

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Err I think Hau-ge together with a few others had something to do with that. :D

19. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Who is Hau-ge?o_O

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    One of our illustrious forum members who got involved in the organisation and development of Indonesian and world badminton. Every so often he drifts by the forum again.

yuquall likes this.