humidome.com

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by MistrYpsilon, Oct 1, 2017.

1. ronsonc

ronsonc New Member

removed - no interest

#41 ronsonc, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

As I mentioned before, I don't need to mess around with beads or humidifier... just a simple folded square of toilet paper dampened with half a teaspoon of water in the tube 1 week before is perfect.

xZhongCheng likes this.
  3. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    I have one and I quite enjoy it. I think this product is about making everything simple and convenient. It does pay itself within a couple weeks/months and I don't have to bother steaming my shuttles anymore or even wonder if I remembered to do it.

juhani likes this.
  4. Graham C

Graham C New Member

Hello everyone I have for quite a while now, had quite a bit of success steaming my shuttlecocks before use.I have found that they seem to last quite a bit longer(I have steamed Yonex As 30's, Babaloat 1's and Carlton GT1's) the way I have done is by holding the Tube of shuttles over a steaming kettle and then sealing it when the vapour has migrated through the tube.
    But I see Amazon now have a steamer for sale and was just wondering if anyone has used one yet or am I just as well sticking with my trusty kettle ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Humidome-e...shuttlecocks&refinements=p_76:419158031&psc=1

Thanks for any help

Graham

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    merged into existing thread.

6. madcarrot2007

madcarrot2007 Regular Member

Seems like a good product, CDN50 though at Yumo shop in Vancouver. A bit pricey for me. Will keep looking for cheaper alternative.

7. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I'm curious, how long do you think steaming the shuttles 'lasts'? Like how long from the point of steaming do the shuttles retain the benefits of being steamed. Seeing a lot of places saying it's only a day or so.

8. ronsonc

ronsonc New Member

Steaming will probably be effective for about 1day to 5 days max. The most important factor is the humidity of the area of where you store your shuttlecocks. Below is a test I did with 4 tubes of birds. The relative humidity fluctuates every time the fan or Air Conditioner in the room turns on. I plan to do a test again in the winter when the humidity is lower.

1. Control - nothing but the measurement device
    2. Steam - a cheap aliexpress steaming device (not the best, but i made sure the tube was full of steam - you can see the huge red spike in the chart
    3. Spray + humidifier - spray bottle of water and then a humidifier device like the humidome
    4. Humidifier - just the humidome like device
    [​IMG]

sp00k, s_mair and yan.v like this.
  9. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    So the humidome does increase humidity in the tubes, did that have a direct impact on the durability of the shuttles?

10. ronsonc

ronsonc New Member

I don't use a humidome. I use a similar device (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Volenx-Mini-Humidifier-For-Tobacco-Cigar-Humidor-Black-White)

The device is similar to all the DIY ones posted earlier, but just more convenient/easier to use.

I can't really comment on durability since it's already warmer now and more humid. But the birds do last ~2+ games of mixed and at least one game of heavy MD smashing. When winter comes, I'll sacrifice some to the experiment.

Some useful links on humidity and shuttlecocks:

11. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I believe the DIY ones were mine.