YONEX ASTROX 88S & 88D (2018)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by T.O.P, Jan 16, 2018.

1. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    She used zf2 in 3U
    She is using 4U 88s
    Wow, that's a hefty change .

#1521 shreyas666, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
  2. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Sweet Kon! And thanks again for sharing your experience with the AX88D and providing another lengthy and insightful review:)
    Maybe it's gonna be a good idea for you to create your own blog or youtube videos for racket reviews so that they're all nicely compiled:cool:

I've played with my AX88S 3U for just a couple of matches only last Friday and I've loved already what I've initially experienced with it so far, however limited still the time spent on it to make any absolute and conclusive verdict. But so far, I got the impression that 88S gave me the kind of ease in playing similar to when I'm using my VTLDF 4U and N9II, although 88S is specifically a lot quicker that VTLDF but not by much compared to N9II.

Now i'm thinking that if 88D is close to 88s' specs and performance but with a heavier head (something that I prefer with my rackets)ergo more power than 88S, I might like it also and probably much more than 88S especially if it's an innovative combination of a heavy but somewhat "flexible" head. But the hundred dollar question is, would I also buy it? I'm not sure. Maybe if Mr. Wallet is on a spending spree mood, or if I sell first my 88S so that i can buy an 88Dang!:p

But who knows. Sometimes when good things come your way, you just throw your money out the window:rolleyes:

jacc likes this.
  3. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

My beloved n9ii is not going anywhere yet (maybe until an n9iii comes ). It's still in my bag as my main, but I'm still going to use the 88d for a while in order to get my money's worth .

4. Konquerian

If changing to that 4u can help her improve her low serve then it's a good change .

offbad likes this.
  5. kulidone

kulidone Regular Member

I didnt test the rackets for long yet. I did some performance comparison today, but my friend is pre-intermediate and he got problems even with lifting so I can smash easily. As I mentioned in full swing of the ArcZS 3U is definitely heavier. Power wise probably better a bit with ArcZS my defender was unable to tell, but he doesnt see or feel the difference much since he is not that good.

What I want to say is that.... since I am a 3U user... I dont like playing with 4U Astrox 88 rackets ... because I dont have the solid feeling and wrist smashing with 88D 4U feels weird....

If you are looking for a replacement of ArcZS... and looking for bit more power like me.... specs wise should be the Astrox 88s 3U a good fit to us... its bit more head heavy and the control is absolutely amazing

6. Obito

Obito Regular Member

I have a question about which model should I get. I'venot have a hand on any of the astrox88d/s yet, but Im very interesting in both of them.
    Currently I have Zspeed and Nanoray 900. I usually use the 900 because I'm a front court player. However, I love the extra punch that I got from the Zspeed. My play style is mostly aggressive I love to smash and move forward to kill the netplay. When I defense, I barely lift the bird. I mostly drive or change the play from defensive to attack right away If I had a chance, so basically I use the 900 most of the time, but it lacks of the extra punch that I got from the Zspeed. I havent use Zspeed much because it is much slower in front court play.
    I've read some review they said the ax88d is almost the same as the S model, but with head heavier which give you a little extra punch from back court play, but it seems like the S model is a bit faster in front. However, the D model is an acceptable racket for the front court player, so I dont know which one should I get and should I get the 3U or 4U version since Im used to with the 900 which only available in 3U version.

7. RajUS

RajUS Regular Member

Thank you Kon for your insightful review previously. Helped a lot and I was able to co-relate lot of things which you expressed about 88S while playing with 88S .. This is what I expect from a review , nice and grilled statistics which cover all the aspects . It takes effort to put everything as time is precious . I got opportunity to play with 88S ( 3U , 26 LB with BGAG ) for 2 hrs , its hard to give detailed review right away as I need little more time but what I can say in one word "AWESOME" , this racket is really amazing for double play , there are many shots I never expected will be so easy .. drop shots, defense , flick smashes , fast smashes had whipping feel not as solid feel - felt good though , fast drops , fast flat clears , long high clears . This racket excels in all the areas . One can wield a lot of power as well if tamed correctly but this is not only factor what this racket is manufactured for. It's an all round racket . The moment I reached home I have put my LDF 3U on sale . I have decided to buy 88D as well , requesting the invoice from shuttle-house . It will be a great combo playing with VZF2 initial couple of games to warm up and move to 88D ( specially mixed double ) or 88S . IMO ( personal ) 88S is better racket than DUO10 and DZS specially in doubles .

8. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    This is just a theory, but the ZF2 4U isn't available in the UK (as an official UK item), you have to import it. Maybe she actually wanted a lighter racket but couldn't find one she liked? I know when I asked a Yonex dealer about the 4U they told me it wasn't possible. The 88S/D are available as both 3U and 4U here as far as I know.

9. MeisterTim

MeisterTim Regular Member

I'm pretty sure that Yonex would have provided her 4u zf2s if she wanted them.

10. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I would've thought so, but you never know.

If she takes rackets based on how they feel in shots, it'd make sense too. Not a lot of the previous gen rackets had good feeling to them. Astrox rackets are definitely a step up there.

11. Micael

Micael Regular Member

Hey Kon,

Is it me or after testing 3U/4U 88S, 3U 88D and your 4U Falcon, they’re all excellent rackets but nothing gives you what you would be looking for as a new main racket?
    Seems like you got 4 new rackets but none will have been good enough to main over your n9ii? Hehe

If so what are the missing factors for each rackets that if it would be there it would make them closer match to a n9iii to you? Haha

12. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Before 88s I kept thinking "nothing will ever come close to VT80, ZF1 etc." and nowadays I will try the zf1 with r4x110 for a few minutes and instantly reach for my 88s. Not even close and I'm sure a pro can appreciate that so much more than someone like me.

13. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Didn't use VT80/70, but the 70 E-Tune didn't have the same level of feeling the AX77 does, not even close. Maybe that's all it is - feel.

14. Konquerian

Lol, I think that is the case. The 88s, 88d, and falcon are all excellent racquets. However, li ning made the n9ii really hard to beat. The feeling and the handling of the n9ii are just great. The n9ii has a good combination of power, speed, and control all in one package, with each of those categories tuned to a more balance level that's just right for many people. It's like 88s traded power for more speed and control, and 88d trade a bit of speed and control for a bit more power. However, n9ii feels that it has those three categories very balancely tuned that can keep up with those two. I feel that if li ning comes out with an n9iii with a few improvements, then there wouldn't be any more competition .

15. Konquerian

I'm not really a big fan of the compact head racquets, but if it is intriguing enough I'm always willing to get my hands wet .

16. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Every time I read something people are saying about the N9 II I have to remind myself how I really don't get on with sword frames.

At the same time, we all know that when the Z-Astrox comes out it won't *just* be an Astrox with a compact head, they always whack all sorts of new things into the rackets. Suspect we might get something like the snap back zone or horizontal A concept, or maybe the dual whip shaft or something with it.

17. RajUS

RajUS Regular Member

Somehow , I couldn't dialed in with N9II , transitioning from VZF2 , VLDF , DUO10, DUZF ( all 3Us ) to N9II has been difficult for me .I played with it for 2-3 weeks. My shots were out of control , drives were going out of baseline. Off centers hits were not giving good feeling . May be I could not wield the potential of this popular racket . I sold it at good price ( popularity ? ) . It's hard to play with flexy racket. Exactly same happened with AX77 . I exactly thought the same way many people think - wish N9II could be stiff which would help in drives and gives a bit better control for sure. Nevertheless , in my opinion N9II could be very good racket for young kinds as its very easy to handle and flexy enough to help them developing their skills.

18. shreyas666

unless she has pedersen's coaches, we can do nothing.

19. shreyas666

she is nice enough to reveal all the specs on instagram.
    wish more players were like that

20. Satoshi

Satoshi Regular Member

Hey guys, can anyone do a comparison on a NR900 3U with an AX88S 3U? Much appreciated :).