Yonex ASTROX 77 (2017)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Cycril, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    66UM is dead within a week
    66F is dead before it gets on court

Couldn't stand 66F.

You can always pm me if you want to buy Li Ning strings (in reasonable amounts). A lot of people swear by Zymax 62F too.

2. HaroonIA

HaroonIA New Member

Civil/Structural Engineer
    How does BG80 to BG80P compare? According to Yonex's specs its the same except slightly more repulsive and durable..doesn't sound logical? How do they compare in practice.

[​IMG]

Ill probably get AX77 with either BG80/BG80P @ 24 Lbs. Another thought - any knowledge or idea of how good the stringing service by Directbadminton and Centralsports are?

3. ljkmann

ljkmann Regular Member

Got my 77 strung with aerobite from central sports. Don't know if it's the characteristic of the string, but it lost 2lb by the time it arrived. Another 2 after a few days of play.

HaroonIA likes this.
  4. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Had sinking knots from directbadminton on AS. The tension is usually good but they sometimes miss details like that.

5. ljkmann

ljkmann Regular Member

6. Wanderfalke

Wanderfalke New Member

4 Stars for a disappointment? Maybe he should introduce 10 Stars so he can be more precise with his result ?

7. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

The ratings are very subjective and I think he always gives between 4 and 5 stars. He loves g5 grips and 3u rackets and most other constelations get devaluations.

I love the Astrox77 4u/g5, an easy to use all-round racket and very powerfull for a 4u racket.

8. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    A review's an opinion, but there are inconsistencies and some things done in the review that feel illogical to me.

For instance in the written review it's called boxy, but in the video you praise it for its counter attacking and defensive style. The frame isn't really boxy either, if you put it side by side with Voltric frames, you'll see it's significantly more aerodynamic. It's not quite as aggressive as the NR frames, but it's definitely not lacking aerodynamic properties.

There are complaints about grip size, but you've put an overgrip on top of the stock grip, which is pretty easy to remedy.

The hollow feeling.. I don't know. I used the 3U version and it's more solid than a lot of the YY rackets I've tried over the past few years.

Azmi Yusof and badmintony like this.
  9. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I think reviewers who review a large number of products eventually become inconsistent. It just isn't a precise science and hence everyone should read multiple reviews in order to form their own opinions about a product.

10. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Inconsistent is one thing, but the grip size thing I find weird; I've seen some complaints about grip sizes in his other reviews, but it's no surprise if he's leaving the thick base grip on.

11. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I think the issue is that an overgrip is supposed to be wrapped over the base grip. Of course he can wrap it directly on wood but it changes the feeling completely. I can understand issues with the grip as I would never get anything other than G5, and if a region is only supplied with a G4 then that definitely becomes an issue as he probably assumes buyers want to know what's locally available. Maybe the overall score he gives to racquets accounts for these things. He certainly considers the price as part of the score.

12. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    "supposed to be"; but nobody adheres to that. No professionals keep the base grip on. Most people on here don't.

13. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Are you sure people don't at least use cushion wrap/tape? Do most people simply use overgrip on wood? Professionals use towel mostly and it's completely different to have towel directly on wood. I don't use the base grip either but I have cushion wrap under overgrips.

14. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Female players tend to use an overgrip on wood. Lots of MD players do too.

Besides, feel was also a complaint.

15. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Mmk interesting. I might have to give it a shot. In fact, if I use overgrip directly on wood I wouldn't mind G4 sized handles :D Yeah I'm not too sure anymore.. I guess on the positive side most of us are able to make a judgement for ourselves from racquet reviews. Not sure about the casual crowd though.

16. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    My one recommendation if you're gripping straight to wood is to coat the wood with electrical tape. Helps to stop sweat soaking into the wood.

It's very doable, I tend to grip straight to wood (or rather, electrical tape) whether I'm using PU grips or towel. At the moment, it's towel.

17. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

In Germany you can choose between G4 and G5 gripsize for the Astrox77 in many shops. Thats europe, too.

Somehow it is stupid to test a 4U/G4 if you only get along with 3U/G5 and then also evaluate it negatively. So the test makes no sense to me.

edit: Yonex says box + aeroframe!

#837 BadBadmintonPlayer, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
  18. llrr

llrr Regular Member

That's not exactly directly on wood though. Electrical tape is quite thick, thicker than cushion wrap imo. Also it is less spongy and soft like cushion wrap. I guess it depends on one's preference for their grips.
    That's true I suppose. Then again, I'm not sure if he gets a choice in what he tests. People get sent all kinds of specs to test.

19. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    What electrical tape have you been using..?

20. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I don't use electrical tape for badminton, just cushion wrap. I use electrical tape for other things though (since I do research projects in engineering). I'm pretty sure electrical tape is both thicker and less "cushiony" than cushion wrap, if the same number of layers are applied for both. Also, considering that cushion wrap is more easily compressed, it would practically feel non-existent (but make the overgrip feel softer), whereas tape has a slightly harder feeling (although compared to wood it would also be softer). Either way.. maybe I should try it first and probably the difference is negligible :)