Upgrading to better machine. Penta Premium 3600 or Superstringer S90?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by yippo888, Dec 1, 2017.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Nothing to add there really. The Chudek supports are almost a must if you go with the T20 since the stock supports are a bit bulky and give you zero working space. Good thing is - if you don't want to invest in Chudeks right away, the stock one are not that bad that you can't use them at all. So nothing in the way of starting with them and do the upgrade later.
    All Superstringer machines come with a full set of accessories like pliers, string mover, awl, load spreaders and two decent flying clamps (that can easily be abused as starting clamps or to tie knots).

Regarding the WISE upgrade, I feel like it's a getting a bit overrated these days. I upgraded mine not because I needed to, but because I wanted to (string job #100 was approaching, company payed a nice bonus... then one thing lead to another... ;)). I would say you win 5 minutes max if you go from drop weight to electric with a safe routine on both. The WISE is more comfortable, no doubt, but as long as you're doing <5 rackets a week, the drop weight is still a valid option imo. The results with the drop weight were identical regarding consistency and feel of the string job.

The clamps are really, really good. I would say that they are very close to the ones from Gamma and I don't see any reason why you would want to upgrade them. Above them, there are pretty much only the Toyozuoki clamps which cost more than then whole T20.
    The badminton clamps have 4 teeth, the tennis ones have 5. I would always recommend the badminton version since they are less bulky and you can clamp closer to the frame with them and they are still strong enough to hold a tennis string at 55+ lbs. (that's the highest I've tested yet...).

That's the only tutorial you will need:

You can find some other useful clips in the same playlist.

badmintony likes this.
  2. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Nothing special. A boring set of cheap standard grommets in different colors. As long as you stay below 26 lbs. they are okay. Very similar to the set I linked in the other thread.

4. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

They are absolutely fine above 26 aswell :)

5. badmintony

Ok. So which one would be a highly recommended?:)

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Mate, just order one of these sets and bring this chapter to an end. It's only grommets.

7. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    Forgot to post a pic of my new setup:)

had this since Jan after picking this up from a fellow BCe, thanks to contributers like @s_mair for their advice and suggestions on what model of superstringer to get etc.

stringing machine.jpg

s_mair likes this.
  8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Dude, that's pretty much exactly my setup you've cloned there!
    Glad I managed to grab a green stand! Oh, and you're missing @Chow Mein's sensational custom WISE switch... highly recommended too!

9. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    what does it look like? im pretty happy with current set up. not sure if a switch can speed it up too much tbh!

ah i like to black stand... didnt want to stand out too much haha!

10. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

Nice setup!

I'm so glad i didn't press the button for the black floor stand when Dirk told me that the green one was out of stock. Green machine with black stand is definitely not my cup of tea . I'll just patiently wait for the green one to go back in stock.

Thanks for sharing the pic!

11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

badmintony likes this.
  12. badmintony

Nowadays a lot of people are talking about speed even at the expense of quality.

Sent from my SM-J320F using Tapatalk

13. Chiukee

Chiukee New Member

I am totally new to this and am considering a machine. I want to have the possibility to do tennis as well, so looking at t20 or t70. Can anyone say how much time one saves in stringing a badminton raquet with the t70 as opposed to the t20? Will probably string aroung 20 times per year, so is the t70 worth the extra €100 for the ease of use?

14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Once you got used to either of the two machines, the time you need for the actual stringing process (from pulling the first string until you tie off the last one) will be pretty much identical. Maybe add a couple of seconds when the slack string gets caught in one of the extra adjustment knobs on the T20, but that's it. Mounting the racket sould be a tad faster on the T70, but I guess that's also in the region of <30 seconds max.

Adjusting the machine when you have to switch from badminton to tennis should be faster and especially smoother with the T70 since you don't have to loosen and retighten the main towers each time. But again, once you know your machine and maybe have made some markings for the correct positioning of the main towers for badminton and tennis, also that difference will be less than 1 minute.

Looking at the timing side of things only, there is no way the T70 will be worth the extra 150,- EUR (currently it's 499,- vs. 649,- if I'm not mistaken) as long as you'll be at ~20 jobs per year. In the beginning, the biggest time saving potential is to build up a smooth and efficient stringing process and to get routine. In any way, you will really start saving a noticeable amount of time with the more routine you will get in your own stringing. And that will be the hardest thing to achieve with 20 rackets per year anyway.

#174 s_mair, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  15. Chiukee

Chiukee New Member

Thanks for the quick and informative reply. €100 because I have to buy those chudek supports for the t20?

16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

IMO they are not a must have. The Chudeks are better than the original supports, no doubt, but you can achieve good results with the original ones too. So maybe start with the original ones and make an upgrade with the Chudeks later on would be the way to go.

#176 s_mair, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  17. jimmy00

jimmy00 New Member

@s_mair @Konquerian How easy is it to upgrade the T20 or T90 dropweight to a wise? Is it a simple screw job or do I need to drill some holes into it? I'm asking because I don't have the tools for it and I don't exactly call myself a craftsman!

18. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

Just buy the Wise adapterplate then it's just plug and play!

s_mair likes this.
  19. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

It's a fairly straightforward DIY job. You'll need the adapter plate for the Wise first before you can start. Once you have that, it's pretty much unscrew and screw back in type of job all the way. For me, I preferred to use my trusty power drill to get the job done. But like @s_mair had suggested before to another member, a torque wrench will get the job done, as well.

You'll also need to raise the turntable using the included disc. I've tried it with and without the disc, and I prefer it with the disc installed, because it will enable smooth 360° rotation. Lastly, I've also upgraded the side supports to the Chudek supports, because the original supports don't have much real estate to work with, but it's not a necessity, of course.

jimmy00 likes this.
  20. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

As @Super85 and @Konquerian said, to mount the WISE is really, really easy and doesn't need much craftsman talent. You need to have the correct adapter plate for your machine:
    - T20: https://www.tennisman.de/Weiteres/B...sal-fuer-Wise-2086-Electronic-Tennishead.html
    - S90: https://www.tennisman.de/Weiteres/B...-S90-und-Wise-2086-Electronic-Tennishead.html

They come with the holes drilled in the correct positions. So all you need to do is to remove the two screws holding the dropweight mechanism, re-use the screws to mount the adapter plate and then mount the WISE on the adapter plate with the supplied screws too. Done. A torque wrench does the job perfectly.

If you want to get 360° rotation for the racket (a must I would say...), you need to install the disc to raise the turntable. Again, fairly easy and straight forward. But be aware that you need to change the bolts to longer ones - at least on the T20. See http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...ros-pro-challenger.158013/page-7#post-2507669

jimmy00 likes this.