YONEX ASTROX 88S & 88D (2018)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by T.O.P, Jan 16, 2018.

1. eYeStudy

eYeStudy New Member

For anyone who owns both 88d and 88s, are the shaft length for both racquets the same? Or is the 88s shaft longer?

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    D should be longer than S.

eYeStudy likes this.
  3. visor

visor Regular Member

If you look at Intanon and Yamaguchi who previously used VT 70 and have since switched to AX 77, you'll understand that the latter is the direct successor of the former. Not 88D nor 88S.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Quentin11 likes this.
  4. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

The 88s is shorter by 5mm, with full racquet length at 670mm.

5. Wing Cham Yu

Wing Cham Yu New Member

Does anyone know how does the astrox 88s compares to the nanoray 900? I've gotten really comforatble with the nr900 I'm not sure whether to switch over to the astrox 88s or 88d because I'm worried that the head heavy might drastically different from the nr 900.

Thanks for the help!

6. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Last night I had a rather weird experience with the 88S. After switching to it from a Li-ning, I had a lot, as in A LOT of frame shots during the entire game, something that happened to me for the time since using this 88S. The only time I've experienced something like this was when I was just beginning to play badminton ages ago:confused:

Jtcjw likes this.
  7. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Must be the shorter length

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Astrox is supposed to replace the Voltric line, so it's as different from Nanoray as the Voltric to the Nanoray.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

9. Praj

Praj Regular Member

i had the same, but dont forget it is shorter and quick through the air, my frame shots were all at the top of the frame, which suggests i was getting to Point of Contact quicker than usual with my natural swing. so for a little while i was consciously holding back my swing for a split second and it seems to have worked.

10. dvanio

dvanio Regular Member

i know, just want to know how different both this racket, Gideon from VT70e, AX77, then AX88D..
    i was used V70E 3U before, but can't decide if i should choose AX88D 3U or 4U..

11. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    probably stick with 3U

12. dwankwi

dwankwi Regular Member

I have only played with the NR900 3UG5 model once. I am generally used to even balance racquets e.g. Duora Z-Strike and Victor BS12, both of which I have the 3UG5 variants.

I bought an Astrox 88S 4UG5 model recently and I think it plays well. Contrary to the impression it gives, the Astrox 88S is not very head-heavy. Not like the Voltric 80 Etune 4UG5, which I also have. The Astrox 88S does feel somewhat close to the Duora Z-Strike in balance, and it isn't very far off from the NR900, which is probably just a wee bit head-lighter.

If you like it light, and are worried that the Astrox 88S may feel heavy, go with the 4UG5 model and use cushion wrap and 1 layer of Yonex overgrip. Remove the original black grip, of course. That should keep the racquet at approx. 85 grams in weight only.

As for me, I use 1 layer of towel grip so the racquet is a little weightier at approx. 93 grams. All in all, it's a great racquet.

Hope this helps.

IMG_E4232 resized.jpg

13. Stever7425

Stever7425 Regular Member

Recently bought the astrox 88s 4u g5 have used it for 2 sessions now and by the end of the second found myself reaching for my jetspeed 10.. can't seem to gel with it, timing or perhaps the extra weight in the head I can really feel.. should I give it more time?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

14. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Just like the old adage goes; wine tastes better with age:rolleyes:

Give it some more time, you're probably used to just beer:D And it if it still doesn't work for you, there's always someone
    who'll buy it from you;)

15. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Always give new rackets a month. Best way is to ease into it. Don't go full power off the bat on your strokes. Who cares if when warming up you hit shorter clears or slower smashes and drives?

The point is to use the slower pace to find the sweetspot accurately and to tweak your swing to match the racket better to get the most you can out of it. If by the end of a month or two it just won't gel, then you know to let it go.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

swsh likes this.
  16. Stever7425

Stever7425 Regular Member

Good advice.. I will give it some time, these money games might cost me in the mean time ever since leaving the zf2 for the more even balanced rackets I don't have the conditioning for anything heavier just now..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quentin11 likes this.
  17. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Conditioning! Very important when switching rackets with drastic change in balance and overall weight

Stever7425 likes this.
  18. RajUS

RajUS Regular Member

Kon , How is your 88d playing ? I still did not order it , needed to give more time to 88S , pretty happy with it so far .

19. Konquerian

The 88d is a really nice racuqet and I do prefer it over the 88s. But after using my n9ii again in my last two sessions, I still like my n9ii more . I will keep the 88s and 88d in my bag, because I do like to alternate racquets from time to time, and also change racquets based on what players I'm playing against and who my partner is. The 88d is definitely an excellent racquet with its unique personalities .

The 88s is also a great racquet, and I do enjoy it a lot, as well. It really just depends on your playstyle. After you give more time with your 88s, if you can bond with it, then I don't think you'll need to get the 88d, unless you wanted to test it out for curious reasons, otherwise, the 88d is worth a try if things didn't go well with you and your 88s .

20. Konquerian

I think two sessions is not really enough time for you to coup with the new racquet. I would at least spend a dozen more hours on it before giving up. If after you spend a decent amount of time with it and still couldn't feel the bond, then you'll know that it isn't right for you and move on, you will always have your js10 .