BWF World Championships 2018: qualification, seeds & predictions

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by pcll99, May 11, 2018.

?

Which two players will meet in the women's singles final?

Poll closed Jul 27, 2018.
  1. TTY

84.2%
  2. AY

36.8%
  3. PVS

14.0%
  4. RI

19.3%
  5. CYF

7.0%
  6. NO

17.5%
  7. CM

5.3%
  8. SJH

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. HBJ

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. None of the above; please specify

3.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master

Master Regular Member

I don't think the Phase 2 List (published at May 12, 2018) are based on some documents which later be discussed and decided at AGM.

The AGM agenda should have no hidden thing from public.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You had a full agenda for the AGM?

3. Master

Master Regular Member

Nope. but the AGM proposal didn't mention any changes plan regarding GCR. AND in fact the Phase 2 List got published before AGM were done.

4. Mel

Mel Regular Member

Company Director
    Does anyone knows where to buy Total BWF World Championship tickets online?

5. Dimon75

Dimon75 Regular Member

When exactly will the draw happen?

6. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Based on official BWF website, it should be today - 17/07/2018.

pcll99 and Dimon75 like this.
  7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker

Goh Liu Ying' Facebook page has a video of how the draw is done.

Michael V and yuquall like this.
  8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Interesting.. so they just use a software to do the draw automatically. Different from super series final where they did manually? I remember watching a drawing video where some people took a name/number out of a box?

9. TmdRockz

TmdRockz Regular Member

10. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Seriously though, what are the odds that R1 is LCW v Brice Leverdez... AGAIN???!!

11. TmdRockz

TmdRockz Regular Member

He will meet Momota in SF
    Srikanth in QF

Im pretty sure that LCW will go to QF or SF this time

12. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

MAS players having the worst draw ever as most of them have to face each other in round 2...

13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

All CHNs in the top half and all INAs are in the bottom half

14. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

What the hell is wrong with LCW's luck!
    Has the light abandoned him?

15. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

By the draw, LCW might booted himself out in R1 once again.

16. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

LCW

Possibility:
    R1 vs Brice Leverdez
    R2 vs Wang Tzu Wei
    R3 vs Anthony Ginting
    Quarterfinal vs Kidambi Srikanth
    Semifinal Vs Kento Momota
    Final vs ?
    Possibility of LCW moving to Quarterfinal itself is tough it seems

17. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

But Kento Momota has easier path to Semifinals.
    R1 vs Artem Porchtarov
    R2 vs Luka wraber
    R3 vs Tanongsak sensamboonsak
    Quarterfinal vs Tommy Sugiarto/Son won ho

Sonwonho's first tournament after injury. I don't know how much he recovered.

18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That's no good.

Also no R1 bye for any of the MS seeds, unlike the WS seeded players who each gets a bye.

Six rounds for the oldies , tough, except for LCW, I think, who can still manage but even so at a slight, hopefully not too significant, disadvantage against any of the younger contenders in their prime.

However, a possible semifinal clash for LCW vs Kento Momota is not a very good idea,in my opinion, as I'd much prefer LCW meets KM earlier, latest in the QFs (R4) when the toll of accumulated fatigue is less likely to be considerable for the 35-year-old.

Looking at the draw, I don't see anyone in KM's way en route to the semifinals, by then he's definitely the top contender or front-runner for the crown.

Chen Long is slated to meet Viktor Axelsen in the QFs but before that I'd expect Kenta Nishimoto to trouble him. As CL 's performance since the ROG'16 gold medal achievement has been unimpressive, rather, lackluster to be more exact, I shan't say much.

Lin Dan has Shi Yuqi waiting for him in R3, a tricky proposition, provided the former successfully negotiated the earlier rounds where Mark Caljouw and Lucas Corvee or Sameer Verma are the obstacles he has to clear. Personally, I strongly feel SYQ will be a tough nut for Lin Dan to crack, even if he manages to cope it might pose quite a bit of a stretch for him physically in the QFs where his 4th opponent (as QF is actually R4 not R3 of a normal tournament), probably, Chou Tien Chen, H S Prannoy, Rasmus Gemke or Vincent Wong may be awaiting. After that , I believe,it gets even harder for Lin Dan as standing opposite the old and tired maestro could be the young, strapping Viktor Axelsen or , perhaps, the very fit Chen Long (assuming his form is good enough to get that far). I doubt I'd even need to speculate on the ultimate showdown on Final's day, somehow I think it's far-fetched to imagine seeing him on court that day, no disrespect for the living legend but realistically speaking, not on my radar.

The defending champion, Viktor Axelsen, on paper, seems to have a relatively easy route to the QFs where the real test begins for him, unless Angus Ng Kah Long has other ideas to trip him up before then. For the penultimate and ultimate rounds, he is assuredly one of the main contenders for the title though, I repeat, Kento Momota is one up on him based on their H2H records so far.

As for the other living legend, the evergreen Lee Chong Wei, as we know, his form of late has been nothing short of spectacular and, thus, we are justified in regarding the him as a serious contender for the title bout, if not lift the , for him, elusive title at the umpteenth attempt, or , sadly, ends up for the nth time as the Eternal Second once again.

However, we can't help but notice some noteworthy challengers lined up in his path to the winner's podium who might foil his quest for the world title. First, in the opening round, there is Brice Leverdez who famously stopped LCW also in R1 of the Glasgow WC last year so don't expect that painful memory to go away for LCW and fans yet, then in R2 there's Wang Tzu Wei who on his day cannot be underestimated, followed by R3 where probably Anthony Ginting or Kanta Tsuneyama, the newly-minted THA Open champion, awaits; in the QFs, we should expect either Kidambi Srikanth or Jonatan Christie on course to meet him; in the semifinals,it's almost a certainty that LCW would come up against the most difficult hurdle, Kento Momota, an encounter that many believe is fit for a final; and, for the title bout (not sure if I should speculate on it for obvious reasons), I can only say, let's wait and see, for whoever it may be , LCW is very likely to be troubled by accumulated fatigue, and the only opponent who may not enjoy any such physical advantage over him is none other than his 'perpetual foe', Lin Dan, whom admittedly is the least likely finalist in the upper half of the draw, in my opinion.

Lastly, for me, the highly fancied contenders for the Nanjing world title are Kento Momota, Viktor Axelsen, Shi Yuqi, Chen Long, Lin Dan, in that order. And the possible dark horses, Kidambi Srikanth, Anthony Ginting, Kenta Nishimoto, Kanta Tsuneyama,Tommy Sugiarto, in disorder (just a random list, you may include anyone else you like). Whatever, always expect the unexpected.

(I normally refrain from making any predictions for major tournaments as I much prefer to watch the first two rounds to get a better feel or gauge of the highly fancied players' form before doing so, today is a rare exception when I suddenly feel the urge to jump in, all for the fun of it.)

#39 Justin L, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    kurako and CIA-99 like this.
  20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

WS is the only category where CHN doesn't have the full quota, only three players, Chen Yufei, He Bingjiao and Chen Xiaoxin.

While CYF and HBJ are in opposite halves, CXX is a bit unfortunate to be slated for a R3 meeting with her fellow teammate, CYF. Perhaps, just as well, as CXX, I believe,has a slim chance of going deep as she hasn't been competing since before the Uber Cup due to injury sustained in a simulation match with CYF prior to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.