Wilson Baiardo for badminton stringing

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by hjembaek, Jul 21, 2018.

1. hjembaek

hjembaek Regular Member

B.Sc.EE
    I am considering the Baiardo as my next machine.

The machine is already proven good for tennis.

Do any of you fellow stringers out there own a Baiardo and use it for Badminton?

What are your experiences good and bad for the Baiardo with regards to Badminton stringing?

2. Esteban

Esteban Regular Member

From pictures, it doesn't look like the tower distance is adjustable, so I don't think it would be appropriate for badminton-sized frames.

3. hjembaek

hjembaek Regular Member

B.Sc.EE
    The Baiardo machine supports badminton - you just change the supports - as specified in the manual:

upload_2018-7-23_20-16-34.png

4. Esteban

Esteban Regular Member

No doubt it can be used for badminton with the 6/12 supports changed out and the badminton converter sleeves on the side supports.
    I'm simply commenting that unmoveable towers are less than ideal when dealing with a wide range of racquet head sizes

But since I don't have this machine, I don't have an opinion beyond preferring adjustable towers.

5. heroclass

heroclass Regular Member

i'd think the machine will be a best honestly, but I'd want to get some load spreaders.

6. hjembaek

hjembaek Regular Member

B.Sc.EE
    Hi guys I have had some correspondance from a UK stringer that has a Baiardo and mainly strings badminton rackets.

In short it is great for badminton. However it is a heavy machine - so don't expect to travel around with it.

I will ask him if I may post his review and pictures here on BC.

#6 hjembaek, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  7. hjembaek

hjembaek Regular Member

B.Sc.EE
    Here is a very good review of the Wilson Baiardo and some really nice pictures courtesy of Martin Creasey a stringer from the UK:

Wilson Baiardo for Badminton a review by Martin Creasey
    A few points specific to badminton. (see attached photos)

The machine itself is VERY heavy. It comes in two boxes and the main box in particular needs at least two people to remove the machine and lift it. (47 KG) I had to get it upstairs and it nearly killed me!

Once set up it is very stable and the best feature of the basic machine is that you can customise the height and angle for several different users and for each user you can select a different height and angle for mounting the racket, cross strings and main strings. Badminton rackets have a lot more complicated weaving than other sports and it is very useful to be able to raise the string bed closer to you to do this work. If you do many rackets this really helps avoid back strain and fatigue.

There are two sets of arms for the 12 and 6 o'clock mounting points. The long ones are for badminton and the short ones for other sports. These are really easy to change over and also they are very easy to adjust for each individual racket to make sure the 4 side arms locate in exactly the right place so they do not block one of the critical double grommet holes. Each racket is a bit different and this has proved very valuable. There are a range of fixings to go on these arms to suit all types of racket including two fixings specifically to suit badminton and spread the load at the top and bottom of the racket.

The four side arms are equally easy to apply to the frame. I know this seems silly but the smoothness of operation is the difference between a BMW and a Fiat! Real quality. This is true of the whole machine and for me was a unexpected improvement after my old machine. It really is top quality engineering.

The strings clamps are absolutely top quality too. You can fix the bases with less than a quarter turn with one hand with a click lock to secure them. They have quick releases so that when you undo the string clamp it drops and automatically releases the base. Alternatively there is quick release button to release the base. Once fixed the clamps do not move on the base or the string. Both bases and string sections are easily adjustable. I find I never have to adjust the base clamps. I usually check the string clamps before each racket stringing to ensure they will firmly grip the string gauge I am using.

The same clamps work fine for all types of racket and seem to be designed firstly for badminton which surprised me. The teeth are the perfect distance apart for holding badminton cross strings.

I'm sure you have already found that some rackets with non isometric heads have strings that come together slightly at the head. With this type of racket I find the main strings are sometimes slightly distorted by the clamps as I start the cross strings. I always start the cross strings at the top so if this is an issue the distortion does not happen when the racket is at nearly full tension. This slight distortion sorts itself out as you move further down the cross strings and it is not a problem. I always do a final check at the end to ensure all strings are lying straight in the stringbed. This issue does not seem to occur in more modern truly isometric shaped rackets where the clamps sit perfectly in the paralell main strings. This is of course an issue with the rackets not the machine. All machines will have the same problem with these (often cheaper) rackets..

Further notes and loadspreaders and head/throat towers
    The machine comes with all the spreaders and frame mounts you could possibly need for all sports. This includes the badminton specific spreaders which are absolutely fine. Better in my view than the generic white spreaders you can buy at W&D and elsewhere.

To answer another person's comments, you don't move the Towers (as on cheap machines) when you change rackets. There are specific longer mounting posts for badminton which put the smaller frame in the middle of the machine (but can be adjusted to get optimal positioning for the side arms) .

IMG_20180725_142440.jpg IMG_20180725_142509.jpg IMG_20180725_142641.jpg IMG_20180725_142704.jpg IMG_20180725_142731.jpg IMG_20180725_150354.jpg

Daniel™ likes this.
  8. Martin Creasey

Martin Creasey New Member

Sorry, but you are wrong about this. There is no need to move the support towers. All types of racket can be accommodated using the alternative mounts which can be swapped out and more importantly, fine adjusted to get the positioning of the side arms just right, very easily. See my photos elsewhere.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    He is concerned about the adjustment of the distance between the two clamps as shown in the below photo. It is a valid concern as some stringers like to tailor the positioning of each of the 2/4 o'clock support completely independently. Granted that the distance does look OK, it is one flexibility that is missing.

Attached Files:

#9 kwun, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  10. Michal

Michal Regular Member

As the request as one of the BC user, I made the project- custom side supports for Wilson Baiardo.
    At the beginning of the next week I am sending the versions for testing.

Photos- progress of work two weeks before.

And final appearance below
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• WB1.JPG
      WB1.JPG
      File size:
      221.9 KB
      Views:
    • WB2.JPG
      WB2.JPG
      File size:
      267.9 KB
      Views:
    #10 Michal, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    BadminFinn, PsyPryss and hjembaek like this.
  11. heroclass

heroclass Regular Member

Does anyone know what the pricing is for the machine?

12. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

High end machine prices, think couple of thousands. Or Google it, perhaps

13. hjembaek

hjembaek Regular Member

B.Sc.EE
    In europe the price is around 4600 euros - or just about 450 stringjobs for me

14. Mainscrosses

Mainscrosses New Member

It’s an amazing machine! We currently have one and it has been working well it’s the attachment given for badminton and it’s the load spreader you feel more safe.

I also have a Babolat Racket Station and the clamps on this are almost to big to get into tight area

hjembaek likes this.
  15. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    I considered getting one but decided on the Gamma 8900 ELS in the end. Mainly because I felt that it was more suited to badminton (adjustable towers, low profile top/bottom mounts). It was also considerably cheaper, although less so these days. It's also lighter and can be used as a tabletop machine if required. I have to admit that the tilt feature on the Baiardo looks very flashy!

I'm not 100% certain but I believe the Gamma and Baiardo share the same OEM. Certainly the control panel looks very similar on both machines.

16. hjembaek

hjembaek Regular Member

B.Sc.EE
    Exactly the same consideration I had - should I buy the Baiardo or Gamma 8900 ELS???

My choice went in favor of the Baiardo - and hopefully I will receive it tomorrow ;)

In my case the Baiardo was cheaper than the Gamma 8900 ELS.

I agree the Baiardo is really heavy ... so I am a bit concerned when I have to take it with me to a tournament in a month or so :rolleyes:

17. Redaudi02

Redaudi02 New Member

18. Redaudi02

Redaudi02 New Member

Hi there,
    Not been on the site for some time, but just wanted to say how very pleased I am with my Wilson Baiardo machine which I purchased new & have used exclusively for badminton rackets since January 2016. I have found the machine excellent in every way as it adjusts to the stringers height whilst doing the main & cross strings, certainly not experienced any back problems since using it. The main downside to this machine is it’s overall weight & it needs to have a fairly permanent position. It would take at least 2 adults to move it carefully.
    500 rackets later I can honestly say it’s the best machine I have ever used & very good value in comparison to similar Yonex & Babolat electronic machines.

Redaudi02, Nottingham UK

hjembaek and s_mair like this.
  19. hjembaek

hjembaek Regular Member

B.Sc.EE
    I could not agree more - I am very happy with the Baiardo for badminton stringing as well.

My experience so far
    - for Yonex patterns I have changed the pattern to start head-throat (instead of the usual throat-head) - I find the end result to be better.
    - because the clamps are 4-teeth and quite wide for badminton - the strings will need some straightening afterwards
    - yes it is heavy, I have actually bought some piano wheels - to make it moveable (but have not mounted them yet - as this is not straightforward).

[​IMG]

20. Redaudi02

Redaudi02 New Member

I wish you luck fitting the piano wheels, did you get Wilson loadspreaders with your machine & if so are these available separately ? I use the inexpensive ones sold on EBay, but they don’t last too long.