YONEX ASTROX 99 (AX-99)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by konww002, Jul 2, 2018.

1. ManusiaBinOranh

ManusiaBinOranh Regular Member

Marketing
    The price is not out yet. I ask my seller and he told me that it will be availabe in 07/09. My guess is it will be around 220aud.

2. Xan Wong

Xan Wong Regular Member

Which seller did you order from ??

3. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Thanks. Good price i think. I'm tempted to pre-order but i guess i'll just have to wait for a little while til i hear some feedbacks about it from someone☺

Sent from my SM-J320F using Tapatalk

4. ManusiaBinOranh

Marketing
    Chris Thirlwell from Adelaide

5. ManusiaBinOranh

Marketing
    Thats a good idea. My sole purpose is to buy it for me collection. LOL

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

3UG6, eh? Colour me interested.
    I bet it's over £200, though.

ETA - 1780 Yuan?! And that's before Her Majesty sticks 20% VAT on it!

As my Cockney mate at work would say, FACK off!

7. Okaharu

Okaharu Regular Member

From what I've read, 3UG6 is not available in the Chinese market. So I wouldn't be surprised if it's a Japan exclusive spec.
    In which case it's the standard flagship RRP of ¥26,000 + tax.
    Inferring from past JP models on e78 (if they manage to stock the JP 3UG6 model) it'll retail at around the HKD1,660 mark

8. Master

Master Regular Member

Quentin11 likes this.
  9. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

It's on time!!! I had already planned to sell my Duora 10 and VZF2 to buy another Astrox 88D.

But I will wait now. Good thing is Astrox 88D might get cheaper. I'll wait for reviews and see if it is really good.

Although I don't see anything which will suit me better than the 88D. Any heavier would be too much. But I could use some more power.

10. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I think that the 99 will give a bit more power since full frame namd means full frame flex during a hard swing but solid for drives etc. I think namd is making the matrix solidity scale a bit meaningless because with short swings it behaves solid like an extra stiff racquet but on hard swings it generates more flex and more power. I'm still a bit surprised that they didn't make the 99 compact head (or is it?). Probably want to make more money for incremental changes.

Okaharu and Quentin11 like this.
  11. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

That's exactly the attribute i'm looking in a racket! I got it with the 88D but if the 99 can give more then super great! Although if it is a compact head then I won't go for it.

12. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Tbh I have a feeling that they used the same stiffness shaft as 88D but added namd to the head to produce 99. It would explain the close proximity of the two racquets on the matrix and the fact that the 99 is a tad "less stiff". It might end up being so similar that you probably can't tell them apart just holding them if there's no paint job.

Quentin11 likes this.
  13. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Yeah but having experienced NAMD. I can tell that this thing is a beast! The spring feeling it gives is amazing and if this can be transferred to the head then it'll be more powerful. Not sure the control will be as good as 88D.

I'll have to really read the reviews before buying. But to be on safe side I might buy the 88D again because I love it

14. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I'm gonna guess that the difference in control will be minimal and won't be noticed. The marketing is suggesting a doubled shuttle hold time but we're talking about 0.002s vs 0.001s. The extra time on the stringbed will surely allow more energy to be imparted but remember that anything other than a smash it'll behave solid just like the 88D. That's what I'm hoping for anyways.

vincemcoupe likes this.
  15. Xan Wong

Xan Wong Regular Member

With head heaviness, what do you guys think will be the different between 99 and 88d? I have a 4u 88d, it feels alittle light on the head but I am afraid a 3u might be too much, I usually use 4u zf2 tho

16. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Just guessing from the matrix as it's been pretty accurate for S and D, and so I think head heaviness will be almost unnoticeably different between 88D and 99.

17. Xan Wong

Xan Wong Regular Member

Any one here used a 3u 88d before? does it feel really heavy and how does it compare to 4u zf2?

18. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

I use the A88D 3U and the VZF2 3U.

They are miles apart in terms of speed and defense. A88D 3U feels waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay lighter even though they are both 3U!

But as I said in my review, people with weak hands like me should be careful, you will not feel anything when playing with the A88D 3U because how light it feels in your hand. But it remains a very head heavy racket and a 3U racket, so it will take its toll but only after you've played.

So for me, A88D 3U will still feel lighter and faster than a VFZ2 4U.

@llrr

No actually the NAMD thing can be felt even for drives/jabs as well.

19. weingseen

weingseen Regular Member

Was tempted to get a 4u HH as zf1 4u was my all time favourite but could never find or see something to my liking. Been playing with a 3u dzs, that racket was OK if in good form but less forgiving on mis-hit.

With the namd hype, most probably this 4u model would end up in my bag:D:p

Been longing to get a 3u 88s these few weeks considering the amount of good feedback but I guess it couldn't hurt waiting a bit longer:cool:

20. ManusiaBinOranh

Marketing
    Totally agree with you. I use both 88d 3u and 4u. Both string with bg80 28lbs, both felt the same with attacks and defense although the 3u felt a little heavier when swinging. I kept putting more pressure on my elbow when swinging the 3u and when I switched back to the 4u, I ended up with a broken racket and a tennis elbow. Now I face a long rehabilitation process. Lol..but amazing rackets and can’t wait to see what a full namd racket can do...haha