Tai Tzu Ying ( 戴資穎 )

Discussion in 'Chinese Taipei Professional Players' started by limsy, Jun 19, 2010.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I fully agree with CL and CM being almost mirror images of each other. Even the age difference makes sense, given how women mature earlier, and that MS is significantly more competitive than WS and usually requires more experience to survive the first rounds against opponents you're not prepped for, who are still at a very high level.

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Ouch!

3. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

I don't think she cares equally about every tournament she plays in. And she isn't the only badminton player that behaves this way. I disagree with you there.

She likely did additional strenuous training and preparation for this WC, beyond the training that she does normally. It is well known that she did additional training for the Olympics that she wasn't doing for the typical SS.

This is why TTY, who can dominate the SS, will find that players are different for the WC. Just ask LCW, who had no problem winning all those SS, but ran into resistance at the WC and OG.

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Never have I said she cares equally. I said she CARES about every single tournament. She doesn't like losing. So the excuse that she just doesn't care about SS tournaments or whatever they're called now is just lame and far removed from reality. Don't try to strawman me pls.

5. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Not really, LCW might have struggled with Lin Dan or Chen Long in the final, but with the exception of Brice Leverdez last year he absolutely demolished the players on his way to the final, in almost all majors to this day.

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Every athlete who is in his/her right mind and physically fit increases the training effort in preparation of what is going to be the season highlight. And so did TTY as well. At least that was the supposed content of several FB posts. Thanks to google translator, there is always a bit of guessing and interpretation involved on my side. ;)

It was the first time that I can remember her talking in an interview early this season about the WC as a a specific goal - a thing that she has refused to do in interviews in the past. So yeah, she really, really wanted to win that title, I don't think there is any doubt about that. As I wrote previously, you could see in her body language during the first matches already that she was more tensed than usual. And still, it's not like she played badly in any way. Have you watched that second game against HBJ? That was borderline badminton perfection. Still, it just wasn't enough to seal the match that day - HBJ seriously fought for her life in that decider and maybe caught TTY by surprise by that.

And besides, deep down I'm convinced that not even TTY in best shape could have stopped Carolina in the berserk mode she was in all week. It was like watching a steam roller at work - not very fancy or stylish, but highly effective (and very loud... :p).

lingaya and samkool like this.
  7. konak

konak Regular Member

I'm just quoting zidane point of view from other sport here: He maintain that
    It's harder to win La Liga than the Champions League

"The Frenchman insists that the challenge of maintaining performance over a league season is more difficult than winning the European competition"

http://www.goal.com/en/news/zidane-...e-champions-league/13jea5bnsybcg13ln6lq5beqo3

#1087 konak, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    lingaya likes this.
  8. lzhaol

lzhaol Regular Member

Typically there's only 2 events in Marin's annual rooster - Premier Badminton League and World Championships. Add in European Champions when there's one. :D

galaxyduo likes this.
  9. konak

konak Regular Member

You just assuming she didn't care, do you?
    I'm assuming she couldn't.

who is in the world doesn't care about 70.000 dollars prize money in all england ?
    http://bwfworldtour.com/tournament/3141/yonex-all-england-open-2018/results/podium
    And 87,500 dollar prize money in indonesia open ?
    http://bwfworldtour.com/tournament/3149/blibli-indonesia-open-2018/results/podium

are we assume carolina marin already super rich?

10. lingaya

lingaya New Member

I don't think TTY has to worry about her future after she retires. She won't have any problem if she wants to coach, for example. Former retired players in Taiwan have also been invited to comment on matches and participate in recreational games. You don't need to be a legend to have a lifelong career in badminton,

11. lingaya

lingaya New Member

Look, if you're questioning what I've said about TTY, just point out what you find dubious. You've quoted Okuhara (I read the article so I don't doubt it) and I assume you're not her spokesperson either.

*sigh* I said I wanted to keep the thread on the sport so I'll be brief: since the WC is obviously eons greater than the Universiade, why doesn't the government urge her to go for the WC instead? Who are you to judge and call her decision wrong and unwise? I can continue arguing, but there are better places for you to indulge your obsession with politics in sports, such as the CN message boards.

Well I thought HBJ did a great job against Marin, she was the only one who took a game off, and it seemed like most other top WS players weren't at their best (see how Sindhu fared in the final). Although TTY has beat Marin in their last four? encounters, I doubt she could've done better than HBJ in this tournament. This January TTY nearly lost to Marin in the Malaysian Masters. She'll need something like her form in the finals at the Singapore Open last year.

12. lingaya

lingaya New Member

Yes, I remember her mention that her goals for this year are the WC and Asian games, so she is strongly motivated to win, or at least better her record at the WC (so far her best is the quarterfinals). We don't know what went wrong this year. Was it fatigue from playing so many tournaments? Or was she not mentally prepared for the major tournament? Or (I hope not) is she nursing a secret injury that has affected her performance, but not serious enough to prevent her play?

Whatever it is, I really hope TTY can learn from this experience and know how to deal with it next time. Maybe she can learn from Marin, who obviously knows how to prepare for the WC and OG. When I watched Marin play HBJ, as much as I dislike Marin's screaming, I can't help but be awed how she maintains her fighting spirit in front of a vociferous home crowd. There's a singular, dedicated focus to win, which might be what TTY lacks? Just praying that BWF's ridiculous scheduling won't take its toll. To be honest, at this WC, most other top WS players didn't seem to be at their best either. Both Yamaguchi and Okuhara lost in straight games to Sindhu (when normally their battles would take three games), Sindhu succumbed to Marin especially in the second game, and Chen Yu Fei struggled when playing Tunjung. Let's hope we can see the current and upcoming WS players, with all their diversity, can bring us many more games at the highest quality.

s_mair and stanleyfm like this.
  13. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire Regular Member

Thanks for the welcome. I read quite a bit of the World Championships thread and it's great to see there's a community of people passionate about badminton. As you can probably imagine it's quite lonely being a badminton fan in Colombia! I'm glad I brought back some memories of tennis for you. I still enjoy tennis quite a bit, although I must say I'm starting to get annoyed seeing so many players 2 meters or taller in the men's game and don't think that's a good development at all for the sport.

As far as your comment about there being only a very few other events in which all the top stars participate, there is what's called the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 series of nine tournaments. And in many of them - especially Indian Wells, Miami, the Madrid Open, the Italian Open, the Canadian Open and Cincinnati - pretty much all of the top players compete. (Lately Federer hasn't been playing on clay because he's 36 going on 37 and wants to save his body for Wimbledon). The situation is similar with the WTA's Premier tournaments, so I'd say the tennis and badminton calendars are similar as far as the secondary events are concerned.

Of course, a lot of tennis fans will refer disparagingly to events with big prize money and ranking points like the Canadian Open and Cincinnati as "tune-ups" (in the case of those tournaments, tune-ups for the US Open). Since there are 4 Grand Slam events that every top player is desperate to win, that ends up turning just about every other tournament into a "tune-up" for one of them. By contrast, there are a bunch of badminton tournaments out there that clearly aren't tune-ups. For example, what is the upcoming China Open a tune-up for? So you'd think that would lend that tournament more prestige, especially since I believe it's one of just three 1000-level tournaments all year. But then what will it really mean if TTY wins it, especially if Marin loses in the quarter-finals and doesn't seem nearly as hell-bent on winning there as she did the WC? Clearly the three best and most motivated performances I've seen from Marin since I started following badminton have been the Olympics, last year's WC (even though she lost to NO) and this year's WC. It seems to me that now that she's won four of the last five majors while doing relatively little everywhere else, she's sort of writing the rules herself in women's singles. And basically what those "rules" are saying is that no wins by anyone anywhere mean anything if that player can't beat her at a major tournament. That may not be fair, and I don't like saying that as a TTY fan, but that's the conclusion I'm reaching after watching this year's WC.

s_mair likes this.
  14. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire Regular Member

And that makes her decision not to play last year's WC even more problematic.

I was thinking before this year's WC that TTY was under much more pressure coming into the tournament than any other women's singles player. She has been dominating that category since late 2016, but in badminton the matches are so short (at least compared to tennis) that any slip-up like losing that first game against HBJ or getting down early in the third game can be really costly and cause the pressure and stress to soar even more. She had to be thinking, "I've been dominating all year, but if I lose this match people will forget all of that and just conclude I can't win when it counts."

On the bright side, isn't there some hope that TTY can have a longer-than-average career considering that she plays such an offensive style and seems to nearly always dictate play and make her opponents do most of the scrambling?

galaxyduo likes this.
  15. Mate

Mate Regular Member

Tai Tzu Ying doesn't need to be worried about her achievement in major tournament. This year is only her second year as a beast. She only failed to win as a hot favorite in WC 2018. She was not a favorite in Rio Olympics 2016 and multiple WCs before that. Lin Dan failed in 2004 Olympics, WC 2005, and AG 2006. Now, we know him as The GOAT. If Tai Tzu Ying can keep her consistency just like now. It's just a matter of time before she win all the majors and beating Marin, Okuhara, or Shindu. Just like Lin Dan destroyed Taufik, Chong Wei, Peter Gade, and Lee Hyun Il. If she fails to win any of majors, It will be fine. She will always be remembered by badminton fans around the world for her skill, consistency, and domination at least in 2017 and 2018.

lingaya likes this.
  16. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

I'd say she still needs to keep the major titles coming, Tai Tzu Ying. She has the talent and skills.

But y'all realise that if Marin wins one more WC and/or Olympic gold, she's definitely gonna be hard to catch? And WS competition now is tough. Who knows, now up to the next majors, TTY's game would have been studied enough? TTY's focal playing factor is her deception... think so what? Women players typically don't have legs to take deceptions like men do. But of course, they're working on improving that.

I agree with some posts, kinda like Lin Dan when he won in London 2012. By then we knew he was going to retire the most decorated player of his generation, possibly all-time, and will be very, very difficult to overtake. Before that was LCW's chance. Going into their 30's LCW has indeed become the fitter player, however, a younger Chen Long happened and denied him three consecutive years.

17. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Oh yeah, I can imagine that very well. My wife is Mexican and I know the looks you get when you tell people there that "Gallitos" can be a serious sport and not just something you do in the park on a Sunday. And then imagine the looks I got when I first started practising footwork and doing some shadow badminton in my parents-in-law's backyard. :)

Her major playing factors are her racket skills and variability of shots in combination with deception and an outstanding physique. It's very hard to find any strategic solution to disarm that without at least building up your own physique to a similar level. And again, let's not lose perspective here - it was her first defeat in the last 32 matches. The next tournaments will have to show who else will be able to push her to the limit. Currently, I only see a 100%-Carolina on that level. Without being unfair, the amplitude of HBJ's usual ups and downs is so big that I just cannot imagine her becoming a constant threat. But let's see what the AG and the following tournaments will bring. It can only be a good thing for the sport if other WS players will step up their game.

And again, it's pretty much impossible for an athelete to stay in top form over a full season. So at some point, it will be inevitable that there will also be a certain dip in TTY's form.

lingaya and ant01 like this.
  18. lzhaol

lzhaol Regular Member

The Asian Games will be very interesting. I think the tour has more or less figured out TTY's game and is able to come up with a better game plan. People are especially staying away from her backhand net area to prevent falling into her deceptive game.

19. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

That seems like an overly simplistic, verging on nonsensic, statement.
    Would you like to proffer any proof?

s_mair likes this.
  20. lzhaol

lzhaol Regular Member

If you watched the He Bing Jiao - TTY match and listened to the match strategy Xia Xuanze instructed HBJ during the intervals.. its exactly the strategy Carolina Marin deployed during her match against TTY in Malaysia Masters where she could have won. I am sorry if u cant understand mandarin.

stanleyfm likes this.