YONEX ASTROX 88S & 88D (2018)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by T.O.P, Jan 16, 2018.

1. lordcore

lordcore Regular Member

Haha yes please give it a try. I don't even live in Selangor but since this 1 random guy told me about them and now I'm a big fan of their shop. Thanks random guy wherever you are now. :D

Here's a video I found on youtube about the shop. (It's in Malay language sooo..)

2. Astrox88SS

Astrox88SS Regular Member

Any chance to compare these to AX88D 4u?

3. Astrox88SS

Astrox88SS Regular Member

if you feel the AX88D 3u swings lighter than ZF2 4u that means it must be alot less head heavy? :eek:

maybe i should have got the AX88D 3u

4. lordcore

lordcore Regular Member

Don't get me wrong..Ax88D 3U still have plenty of head heaviness on it but just like I said the most noticeable difference between them is drive shots. You can feel the racket much faster on drive and you can defend from smash much faster too compare to ZF2 4U. Maybe they marketed ZF2 as a singles racket for a reason. ;)

Yes maybe you should get the Ax88D 3U if you're used to ZF2 because I'm afraid if you goes to 4U it maybe lacking in power.

Astrox88SS likes this.
  5. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Well. Ho hum. Where do I begin on the AX88S 3UG5 that I had the honor to test. Didn't use my go-to and decided to try the (now past world, current European) champion's setup. So frame and string both were variables.

Used this with Aerobite on 28lbs, PS5%. Well let's talk string first shall we? This lasted all of 15 days from fresh to ruins. Fraying like a dry woman's hair. But luckily it didn't snap in my bag, it broke on a smash, 2 mains gave way, and weeehey, I won the point and rushed off court for my scissors.

Okay onto the frame. These past 15 days were a mixed bag. Straight out the box the first game was so good. Combined with BGAB the intercepts were steeper by around 5° or more, and only one intercept blasted past baseline all night. But that's mens doubles. I act the flaccid, lazy to smash guy and keeps coming front to set up and intercept. And it worked, well. Provided my partner was Mr Muscle and/or can keep the rally in control or give the firepower I need to have me work the front. Else I'm useless.

Defense wise the shorter frame is definitely good. Most smashes, barring hip winners, out of reach and my ineptitude on gauging it due to my shitty physicality, went back; not too bad as well. At least most went the length past the front opponent so they think twice on whether to intercept or leave it to the rear guy, so I can regroup or get out of trouble for a little bit more.

Now to address the elephant in the room.
    Rear court prowess is ****. I am also ****. I found I needed to choose between angle and power. Got the angle, slice that smash (whoaaaa Steen on FHF in AE 2016 against Endo/Kaya's quote) and I get a slow bird. Get counter-attacked cross drive, or another defense lift. I have to do another overhead. Chose the power, it becomes flatter, sometimes so flat (hey I suck) its a really really flat high drive. But I'm out of balance/position and chose the flat drive high drive so a weak backhand reply can (hopefully) get my partner involved and intercept. Which 8 out of 10, doesn't.

Yes I realise. My mentality is weak and I need a strong partner to reinforce my pillar of belief in a game. If not I get more anxious and want to make every shot I make a winner or the perfect shot, which is roughly the amount of times Earth is discovered to be flat not round. Trying to fix that (no not the Earth thing)....

I lost almost all of my XD games because I cannot give a good enough baseline/ rear three quarter answer to give my partner a chance or to control the rally or just outright get countered in the reply shot. Me, all (if not mostly) me. Me me me me me.

Anyway placebo or not, the 670mm thing does get to me, and makes me notice its shortness and I had to change the way I hold my grip (all the way to the buttcap like Intanon) for smashes unlike my usual grip for doubles (abit like LYD/Setiawan) giving a bit of leeway at the bottom. Tradeoff between control and power? Hmmmm. Ah well.

I have no Skill.

joda and visor like this.
  6. kulidone

kulidone Regular Member

I had one for testing probably 3 months ago with Astrox 88S 4U as well so I couldnt compare them with the rackets I own at the moment, but I can tell you what I remember about it, but it might not be accurate. Their setup was:

1. Astrox 88S 4UG4 (original grip + overgrip) - so probably around 93 grams (didnt weight it)
    - Headheavyness - 4.5-5/10
    - Super easy to use. Since there wasnt any HH I didnt have any power at all from this racket. I felt like using a ArcsaberFB with just bit more power --> still no power tho. Probably only for pure control/defensive players in doubles. In singles useless imo.

2. Astrox 88D 4UG4 (original grip + overgrip) - so probably around 93 grams (didnt weight it)
    - Headheavyness - 7-7.5/10
    - At first I liked it a lot. I felt the HH and there is for sure a bit punch to it thanks to that, but after few hours I realised that the racket is not for me at all. It lacked something in both singles and doubles. Actually it was something "between" and since it was something in the middle it wasnt good enough for me in doubles nor in singles.

In singles as Foo.tw wrote in his comparison. The 88D 4U is more suited for control players thanks to headheavyness there is bit punch to it, but smashes arent that strong. I would say for all-rounder players leaning more towards to control who likes a bit HH feel on their rackets. I am a player who would rather pick up a less HH 3U racket than 88D 4U for the same results.

In doubles I play lot of flick smashes and the HH of the 88D 4U didnt suit me. While it was not that bad I like the 88S 4U more, because the 88D is slower at flick smashes (maybe I am just weak) and I can generate with 88S almost the same power as 88D.

The power smashes were definitely better, but its not a hammer. Overall the 88D 4U is definitely a superb racket, but its for someone who is more at the back of the court.

I would say its bit more HH (more power), bit less manuverability, more control thanks to stiffer frame than my Astrox 88S 4U (88grams). The only downside are the flick smashes which was the reason why I picked the 88S if you are fine with that I would get the 88D 4U.

I might borrow one again from my Yonex shop to compare it with my rackets. Since I am still looking for a racket which has more power while having similar BP like my 88S.

#2206 kulidone, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Astrox88SS likes this.
  7. color_wolf

color_wolf Regular Member

Not sure if anyone asked this yet, but how does the 3u 88S compare to a racquet like the Nanospeed 9900? I am predominantly a doubles player and like fast racquets. I can generate plenty of power with the 9900 so I don't think I need anything too powerful. I did not like the Nanoray 900.

8. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Not even close.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

offbad likes this.
  9. Peng88s

Peng88s Regular Member

Hi guys, does AX88S or AX88D is more demanding from Victor Meteor X80 classic?

10. malaikiat

malaikiat Regular Member

student
    I have both. 3u 88s is alot head heavy compare to ns9900. Yes the ns9900 is my best double racket and i even sold my nanoray 900.

11. Ashtontonic

Ashtontonic New Member

I had browse thru 110 pages and still unable to decide go for 88D 3 u or 4 u, i'm current with zf2 4u and i can smash hard but shoulder pain will come to visit after game, i do understand both racquet is not in the same range however i was just wondering if i would like to shift from 4u zf2 to 88d, will 3u will be more suitable than 4u

ultimate goal to reduce some shoulder pain, overall drive faster, use less power but generate better strength during smash. (afraid that 4u 88d will lack of too much power compare to zf2 4u)

Thanks in advance for everyone that had use the racquet to provide some feedback.

:)

12. Leo tan

Leo tan Regular Member

Hi there, i used to own a 3u 88D while my friend had a 4u. 3u will give you a more powerful smash, while 4u give you more speed. it also come down to personal skill. In general, if you wan more powerful smash, go for 3u, if you want more speed and control, go for 4u.
    Unless you had other racket in mind that you will want to compare. Then it will be different case.

Ashtontonic likes this.
  13. kulidone

kulidone Regular Member

if you need to reduce some shoulder pain its logical to get something which generates less power like 88D 4U... I dont think the 88D 4U will lack too much power to ZF2 4U especially in your case, because ... having fit shoulder + less power racket is always stronger than injured shoulder + more power racket....

getting 88D 3U doesnt make sense.... just get the 88D 4U which is faster and generates easily power at half-smashes if I wasnt a front court player doing lot of deceptions/trickshots I would get it

Ashtontonic and Leo tan like this.
  14. Leo tan

Leo tan Regular Member

Just a add on, if you want to reduce your shoulder pain or even elbow pain. get a more flexible racket. 88D is quite stiff.

Ashtontonic likes this.
  15. xying

xying Regular Member

engineer
    i think ZF2 is 1.5 times stiffer than 88D. You can try bend the racket, u will feel it..

Leo tan likes this.
  16. Ashtontonic

Ashtontonic New Member

thanks for the advice, i used to use voltric 80 3ug4, i can get good smash but it drain my power too fast, i replace it with zf2 4ug5 and i'm considering 88D or 99 ...

17. lordcore

lordcore Regular Member

Go for AX88D 3U dude.. Don't think to much about it. You're missing all the fun while you overthinking it. :D

One thing for sure is the smash don't have the same feeling with ZF2 but it still powerful though but all that compensate with much faster drives and much more easier to defend. Try it, you will not regret it.

18. lordcore

lordcore Regular Member

Yep totally agree with it..I've done it before and indeed it's really like 1.5 times stiffer than 88D :D but with 88D you got NAMD so the stiffness things is partially gone when you smash hard.

19. Ashtontonic

Ashtontonic New Member

U with a 88d 3u atm?how was the feelings,able to share the experience?

20. lordcore

lordcore Regular Member

Yes I'm currently using AX88D 3U for almost a month now and all I have to say is it's amazing racket and I like it a lot! :D

It's easier and faster to maneuver and the smash is not lacking too much than ZF2 4U. I like how I easily I can defend against opponent smash and that's what I like about it so much because you know with ZF2 being so HH and everything when you play a fast pace game it's just not quick enough.

Please beware that the more you get used to AX88D the moment you try to play with ZF2 again it's just feel so weird. I've got so many annoying things happening to me when I try to switch back to ZF2 like miss hit, miss the shuttle completely, and so many of my smash caught at the net. I mean what the heckkk??? All of those things almost never an issues before I used AX88D. I just don't know what happen or maybe it's just me lol.:p

One more thing that I noticed is that ZF2 swing speed is much faster than AX88D and there's no doubt about it but AX88D just feel quicker with drives and when you're defending. Maybe that's the beauty of rotational generator system.:) I hope that from what I've shared here can help you even just a little bit to make your decision. Cheers mate.

Ashtontonic likes this.