YONEX ASTROX 99 (AX-99)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by konww002, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    Setup : AX99 4UG4 BG65@27lbs. One AC102 over the G4 standard grip.
    Actually the AX99 is my first 4u racket, apart from trying some 4u rackets of clubmates for a minute or 10 with different grip size than i normally use. Although being a 2u/3u user for a long time i definitely have the idea that with this AX99 4u racket i can generate the same or even more power compared to my 2u/3u rackets including the AX88D. With the AX88D, i have the idea that the working of the NAMD differs per hit where hitting slightly off sweet spot will result in quite a different angle than expected. I have hit with more steepness with the AX88D (having my opponent struggling for the shuttle and wondering how it is possible to play such a steep smash) , but also i succeeded in hititng the shuttle flat travelling straight and meters outside the court. With the AX99, shots seem to be far more consistent. Steepness is good, but less extreme steep and no off-hits. The consistent feel results from the feedback you get from the racket upon execution of the stroke, which is very much in line with the outcome of the stroke. It could be the NAMD being present in the whole racket has to do with it.
    So smashes yes nice, i hit a lot of them, i could hit through the defence quite a number of times and it didnt tire me out.
    Cleares were nice, but a little more demanding than the AX88D. Could be because the AX99 is strung with BG65 where my AX88D is strung with BG80. Dit i wrote something about consistency? well all cleares with the AX99 4u land on same spot near the baseline.
    Dropshots are very comfortable to hit with the 99. My cross drop with slice was spot on and the opponents struggled every time. Straight drop shot also very good.
    Netdrops went fine. Defence surprised me. Where i expected to struggle more with it compared to the 88D 3u, my defense was better than ever. Normally i am not that good with defence, being more of an attacking player but with this racket i returned the majority of the power smashes of the opponent.
    Most of the time i played doubles. Last wednesday i played a singles match at the end of the session. The consistent feel is the same as in doubles. Being a bit tired i was late a number of times and needed a recovery shot, of which the result was fairly good but not as good with my AX88D 3u where such a recovery shot is excellent (an okay i saved the rally but careful, the attack comes again opposed to wow i bought myself some time with that less effort, nice!) .
    So after 2 sessions i have not collected all thoughts, but i think the basis is there and i like the racket a lot, i think overall it has more advantages compared to 88D where the 88D still is a nice racket to play with.

Quentin11 likes this.
  2. Kingsley90

Kingsley90 Regular Member

I’m quite a skinny person but got fat lately lol. I did arm and shoulder training just before a month of the release of AX99. But well, trust me that AX99 definitely not a sledgehammer weight. I’m so surprised and excited when i first hold it after the stringing. Feel was really good playing with it. It’s like driving a new model of Ferrari. Can’t wait to head to the court and do smashing again:p

Quentin11 likes this.
  3. llrr

llrr Regular Member

The reviews you guys have posted are very much consistent with my experiences with a 3U. Power access is very easy with the 99, even easier than 88D.

4. gavannn

gavannn Regular Member

top review

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yong likes this.
  5. lostLore

lostLore Regular Member

I cant speak for the 3u but can agree that power is very accessible with the 4u version. The racquet doesnt feel stiff either. But it does feel slower in defence and drives compared to my n9ii. Then again I only had one session with the ax99 so far. Would need a few more sessions to get a better picture.

Quentin11 and Kingsley90 like this.
  6. Astrox88SS

Astrox88SS Regular Member

so in your opinion the Astrox 99 4u is a better racquet overall than the LDF 4u? is it better at smashing than LDF?

7. Kingsley90

Smashing obviously sharper than my LDF. But for smashing , BG66 ultimax still my favourite because of the smashing sound. AAerobite very good at control. The smashing speed of AX99 is higher than my LDF.

Overall both AX99 and LDF give me the same solid feel but AX99 a bit flexible. For smashing both consider very powerful. Will need to test more session for further details.

Astrox88SS likes this.
  8. magicaluni123

magicaluni123 Regular Member

Anyone has the 3U version?

Quentin11 likes this.
  9. BadmintonPro

BadmintonPro Regular Member

I got Astrox 99 3U and 4U. I prefer the 3U. I don't really feel it's sledgehammer-y thing like other's say. Its honestly very awesome.

10. Astrox88SS

Astrox88SS Regular Member

is A99 3u sluggish for doubles tho?

jlp2097 likes this.
  11. lostLore

lostLore Regular Member

I guess it depends on each individual's physical n technical abilities. But imo the 4u ax99 is capable of more than enough power so that extra speed from the 4u version would be more advantageous for doubles.

Yong likes this.
  12. coolguy82

coolguy82 Regular Member

13. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Honestly. White strings will look fantastic with it. Yellow works too. I feel that black just makes it dull though, strangely red doesn't work too well either.. I've seen all the said colours on either my own or other people's at the shop so far.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

coolguy82 likes this.
  14. coolguy82

coolguy82 Regular Member

Ah ok.. which logo stencil ?
    Would be nice to see the one w/yellow string :D

15. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Frankly logo stencil red would be the nicest to me.

coolguy82 likes this.
  16. BadmintonPro

Yea red isn't great. I went with it and gotta say I do hate the combo

17. Kingsley90

I went with the aerobite red/white and so far its satisfy me. I guess white with red YY logo would be awesome tooo_O

18. BadmintonPro

I went with red BG 66 Ult with black YY. Hate it

Kingsley90 likes this.
  19. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    So due to my major disappointment and dissatisfaction with my last AX99, I got rid of it and bought another one at my regular store yesterday. I just felt like I wasn't able to give it a proper go as the first piece wasn't behaving as it was supposed to according to heir matrix.

So I got one from that's from the same production batch. Shaft serial numbers only differ by 6 on the same production date of 210682. I took the exact same overall weight and head weight measurements as before with my scale. To my shock the numbers are nearly the same yet both rackets feel worlds apart. Signs of piss poor QC IMO. I expected such from Victor but never from YY especially for their first commercial run batch.....

With my 1st piece the whole head felt sluggish as if I was swinging a lead weight around. With the 2nd the weight is clearly more evenly distributed in the head with emphasis on the 10-2 o'clock area. Basically it feels like what the others are saying about the AX99 in comparison to the 88D. It's head heavier but not by a significant margin and still has a speed near enough. Gonna be testing it again later to see if I get better luck.. [​IMG][​IMG]

visor, Kingsley90 and llrr like this.
  20. veldilucha

veldilucha New Member

is this 3u or 4u?