Stringing machine for a beginner

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Izic, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Izic

Izic New Member

Hi all!

I'm currently looking for a machine that's capable of stringing both badminton and tennis rackets under 500 USD and was really in hopes of getting some advice. I'm looking at the Pro's pro or gamma stringing machines and am uncertain of whether I, as a beginner, should get a crank machines or a dropweight machine (which I heard was more accurate). Time it takes to string is not a concern of mine. If there is anyone willing to help provide some insight I would be extremely grateful! Please recommend any other stringing machines that you guys think would be suitable for new learner!

#1 Izic, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Forget Pro's Pro and go with a Gamma. Quality of the Gammas is leagues better than PP.

Drop weight is more consistent and doesn't need to be calibrated regularly. Also, it's a constant pulling mechanism, so the jobs will end up tighter compared to a crank machine.

So my recommendation would be to go with a Gamma X-6FC. Great machine that doesn't need any upgrades or tweaks to make it work properly. I'm not sure about its current price in the US though.

#2 s_mair, Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    kwun, Izic and PsyPryss like this.
  3. Izic

Izic New Member

Thanks! I think your definitely right about this one! However it seems the flying clamps version of this one is almost a hundred dollars less expensive. I understand the difference have watched a number of stringing videos, however I was wondering if the fixed clamp version was really worth more. Money isn't the really a big concern but if the difference isn't that great then I would rather just go for the flying clamp version. Hopefully one of you guys who have more experience than me can give me some advice? Thanks a bunch!

4. decoy

decoy Regular Member

I have the 6FC (fixed clamps) and I've also strung with it using just flying clamps instead.

Honestly using the fixed clamps gives a much better stringing job, plus then you don't NEED to buy a starting clamp. So you save $50 there anyway.

One thing worth noting, is the fixed clamps that come with the Gamma machine are "Universal" sized, so they don't actually quite fit all racquets. Like doing a small head frame like a Z Speed, they won't quite fit on the crosses. So you'll either have to replace the fixed clamps, or buy a set of badminton flying clamps anyway.

Edit: After reading this, I never really got to my point... I'd say if the difference is around $100, go with the fixed clamps. Especially since if you don't get the fixed clamps machine, you can't really upgrade to using fixed clamps ever.

Izic likes this.
  5. Izic

Izic New Member

Having decided on a machine, is there anything else I would need to purchase for this specific machine to adapt it to badminton rackets? I notice on a lot of other discussions, people mention adapters and loaders, however I'm uncertain of what exactly they are/do. Thanks!

6. decoy

decoy Regular Member

When I bought it, it came with badminton supports, so not really an issue.

You should get at least one load spreader for the top of the racquet head. Gamma has their own load spreaders that replace the 12 and 6 o'clock supports, but I believe you have to buy those separately. Alternatively you can buy plastic load spreaders from MyBadmintonStore, but you'll have to file those down to make them fit.

Aside from that the machine is ready out of the box as far as I remember. And technically speaking you CAN string with the little rubber load spreaders that come with the machine, just not super ideal.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Izic likes this.
  7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Get a load spreader from MBS and at least one Yonex style flying clamp. They are the perfect and cheap replacement for a starting clamp (so usable for tying knots and string extension in case you cut the string too short, fix the string on 1-piece pattern... oh, and you can actually use them as flying clamp :)). Apart from that, you should have everything that's needed to get started with a X6-FC. Side supports are really good (use the badminton sleeves that come with the machine!) and won't need to be upgraded imo.

100 USD extra for the fixed clamp version is nothing. The clamps alone are worth ~200 USD net (plus clamp bases) and hands down, fixed clamps are just the real deal. So if you want to take your stringing seriously, than that's 100 USD well invested.

#7 s_mair, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    Izic and decoy like this.
  8. Izic

Izic New Member

I think I got it! Thanks for the advice. Just out of curiosity, what would the flying clamp be for considering I already have the fixed clamps from the machine? Am I able to attach it to the fixed clamp base or something?

9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I think you should be spending some time with (good) stringing videos to get a feel for the basics first. ;)

A flying clamp is not attached to the machine in any way (hence the word 'flying'). And I already gave some examples in my previous post what it can be used for and why it is a handy tool to have around. You can of course also get a starting clamp for most of these tasks, but a decent one costs significantly more than a flying clamp.

PsyPryss likes this.