Vancouver Lawn Tennis and Badminton Club

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by Cheung, Jun 14, 2005.

1. VanCity*VLTBC*

VanCity*VLTBC* New Member

*I am a member of VLTBC*

For those that want to know the membership fee of our club, it is now raised to 20,000 CDN due to the renevations. We have SIX not FOUR as some ppl say... Our badminton facilities is considered one of the best in North America. We were going to hold the Canadian Nationals but due to some stealing issues we decided not to. I am one of the members of the advanced training groups. Our Pro Coach is Canadian LEVEL 5 coach Rham. Also 2003 Canadian Singles Champian *Kiran* (Ex India National Member) Overall we have a great facilitiy as an Asian in the club i can say some of the member are very descriminating. But hey what can you do eh?! Well if you have more questions about the club you can e-mail me at. quinton_chan323@hotmail.com

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Wow, way out of range for most dudes. :D Even my friend from VLTBC come to VRC to play. He finds the usual group boring at his club.

3. VanCity*VLTBC*

Who exactly is your friend ??

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Welcome to BF VanCity*VLTBC*, it's good to have some representation from your club on the forum:). I believe RacquetChat is another member of VLTBC.

5. VanCity*VLTBC*

thank you lolz :p

6. RacquetChat

RacquetChat Regular Member

Someone told me that my name was mentioned here so I thought I should check out if I was being slagged ;)

Cappy is correct -- I'm a member of VLTBC... and get this --> I drive a 14 year old car. And my wife drives a 13 year old car. And I'm actually "ok" with that. Honest! I've played tennis with nurses and postal carriers who are members there, not exactly the social elite of Vancouver. And I'm far from English, or a W.A.S.P.

VLTBC will always have the misnomer of being a *snob* facility and nothing I saw will change it. So I'm not going to get trolled into a flame-war.

However, we've got clean washrooms, kick-ass tennis courts (clay, indoor, 2 types of hard surfaces), a few squash courts (hey -- who the heck plays squash, anyway? :D), an awesome fitness facility, and really good (and well-priced) food. Oh, did I mention the washrooms?

However, all Cheung asked was "Is it a good place to play at?" and to answer succintly, "yes it is".

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Two cars in the family, eh? They must be Benz and BMW:p. Nothing wrong with them, if I have the money and want to get a good investment on my vehicle, I would have gone with BMW... they are made to go strong for 20 years.

Good thing you didn't compare VLTBC and VRC cuz they're both different beasts. For hardcore badder, VRC beats every other club in lower mainland hands down in terms of court conditions and general calibre of players. That means on a good day, you could find yourself playing with strong experienced players. Yeah, we don't have a flick to hand us hand towels while we wash our hands but we got where it really counts -- on the courts:D! VRC facility is accessible for members 24/7. Last I heard, VLTBC has only some sheduled drop-ins during the week and still requires all-white clothing for its drop-in participants... a major lamer IMO.

But the main thing is... VRC is a specialized racquet club whereas VLTBC is a country club. We all paid for what we get;). $700 to play baddy or $10000 for baddy and everything else. If I were a unionized postie who plays casual baddy and tennis, I would have gone with VLTBC too:D!

8. RacquetChat

Actually, 2 Honda's. And I'm definitely *hoping* they last another 5 years... maybe even when my son starts to drive. That would be cool...

Hey Cappy, didn't I say I wanted to avoid a flame-war? ;) It would be nice if our courts were available 24/7 but alas, they're only available from 6am to 1am... and closed for 5 hours from 1am to 6am. We need more baddies, actually... it's emtpy most of the time.

And I agree -- a unionized gig would be awesome. I remember lifeguarding for the city of Burnaby in high school... making $15/hour... that was INSANE.

Have fun on the courts guys/gals...

9. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    The VLT, and in the same vien - Hollyburn and Arbutus, is a club that offer a different product and service. It is a lifestyle choice, and for those that want to join, that is what they are buying. The VLT is grand, and has a very dignified atmosphere. The family that joins has so many options for recreation in these clubs, badminton being just another one of them, and that is why it is also hard for the commitment to just the single sport.

The VRC is also a lifestyle choice, albeit not as costly as the country club option. But when you join, it is primarily for the single sport - badminton or squash (although nowadays - fitness). The commitment is greater, and with the lower cost, more within the reach of - common - folk.

I do have a few friends at the VLT, and they are not rich, although reasonably comfortable. Their decision for joining and continued membership is the club offers a safe place for their kids, and there is so much for their kids to do. Their kids only occasionally play badminton, but prefer tennis.

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yeah, it would be nice if the facility is available 24/7 but the initialization fee is just too much for the average joe. Maybe you joined many years ago when it was under CAD 15,000 for a couple.

Dropped in last night but Cappy75 couldn't make it :D! It looks like we have a monthly reciporcial drop-in program between a few VRC & VLTBC buddies ;).

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Nah, RacquetChat... I was just stating the facts:D. Both clubs have their good and not so good side. Like Badrad said, each club targeted different demographics and facilitate different lifestyle choices. If I had the choice and the money to decide between the two, I would still go with VRC because I only play one sport and desire to excel in that one sport:). It would be nice to have a swimming pool in the same building or finish up the baddy session relaxing in a hot tub, but I live within walking distance to a public pool and I have yet to visit it:p.

If you and your family haven't played at VRC, I would like to invite you to join our group on any Wednesday or Saturday nights. We seldom have empty courts before 12am:cool:.

12. RacquetChat

Hey Cappy -- thanks for the invite. I may join you one of these nights. My son has played a couple of tourney's @ VRC. Great courts -- I really like the viewing window @ the second floor.

The crazy thing is I'm not a racquet's guy... my main sport is mountain biking -- I help run one of the world's largest mtn biking sites @ nsmb.com (northshoremountainbiking.com). We joined VLTBC at my wife's urging to find a new sport for me after I broke my leg during a biking accident. Instead, my wife is hooked on tennis, my kids play badminton 5-6 days a week, and me? Well, I'm still into my bikes :) (but I use the fitness gym and pool everyday).

My son is so crazy about badminton I set up a forum/site for him @ racquetchat.com (Sorry Kwun -- this is not meant to be a shameless plug for my son's website)... where I can closely moderate all postings etc.

Although our membership didn't have the anticipated outcome, I'm glad my family are making good use of the facilities.

RC

13. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Get your son to drop by VRC on Sat & Sun then. We would love to play with highly trained juniors :).

14. RacquetChat

Thanks very much for the kind offer -- we may take you up on the offer one of these weekends. He's only 9 though... No match for A/B level adults. He knows 2 of the better U10 boys through tournaments (I don't want to mention real-life names on the 'net) and wants to set-up some "play-dates" in the future.

Regarding the all-whites issue -- we make exceptions for international events ie. tournaments, or this week's PanAM Jr Training Camp.

The rest of the time though, you're stuck with the rule. The funny thing is the kids are so used to it, they usually prefer to wear whites at tourneys, even at other venues!

Have a great day BC'ers!

#34 RacquetChat, Jul 27, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
  15. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    VanCity*VLTBC* will drop by VRC this Sat. Who else from VLT will drop by?

16. badelbow

badelbow Regular Member

How could you not mention another VLT - Asian top junior player who, came from HK when he was around 10 years old and so far he is the only junior player that won 4 National Singles tiles in a row...........I'll let you name him and if you don't know..............................go ask Chris Lee