New Ashaway Zymax TX

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by dbswansea, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Razor-BladE

Razor-BladE Regular Member

Personal Trainer
    Control yes. Power, I think 64TX takes the edge yes.

2. ljkmann

ljkmann Regular Member

3. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

For the generous pricing of the Ashaway strings, you get excellent durability, great tension retention, high tension tolerance, and above average performance, I would say it can't get any better than that. But if you're looking for top of the line performance, and don't care about cost or durability, there are better strings to choose from like the bg66um and bg80.

Personally, I find these 2 new strings from Ashaway living up to their usual performance standards, but I will spend more time with them first before I can fully appreciate their worth.

#83 Konquerian, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Paul sorted me out with the 68 and 64 to test. 68 went in first - coating is MUCH closer to BG80 but there core isn't there yet. As Paul put it, it's more like BG80P than BG80.

I'll be playing with it this week.

5. Razor-BladE

Razor-BladE Regular Member

Personal Trainer
    So I played with them more today... I preferred playing with the GT5 today.. xD
    The 64TX felt a touch too soft for my liking. I have a reel on it's way though so next time I'll maybe whack up the tension to see how it plays.

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

One game and I knew I hated it - way, WAY too soft. Good for cut drives and drops, but nothing else.
    Swing and a miss, Ashaway.

ucantseeme and swsh like this.
  7. Furyan

Furyan Regular Member

Had a few games with 64tx now, done at 26 on my 88d. I quite like it but I don’t think it’ll replace no.1 or a no.1 and gt5 combo as my main strings. I think no.1 has a bit more power to it and combining it with gt5 gives it some extra control.
    Also as a side note when I was tightening my knots the string was very fragile, I pull the knot with my hands 1st then use flying clamps to give it that bit extra security to the knot. In fact when I was doing the starting knot for the crosses I actually broke off the excess string and I wasn’t pulling any harder than normal and that hasn’t happened before.

visor likes this.
  8. Astrox88SS

Astrox88SS Regular Member

how does this compare with the 62 Fire?

9. Decimator

Decimator Regular Member

Is 68tx an durable and cheap alternative to BG80?

10. Konquerian

Personally, I would say that 62 fire still feels better. However, for the best feeling, the yonex and li ning strings are still hard to beat, but the generous price and amazing durability of the ashaway strings are still its admirable qualities.

offbad likes this.
  11. Konquerian

68tx is indeed cheap and durable, but definitely not an alternative to bg80. The lively feeling and durability of the bg80 are solid qualities that are not easily matched.

12. Decimator

Decimator Regular Member

13. Decimator

Decimator Regular Member

But it does have control and hard feeling too, right?

14. Konquerian

It definitely has the control and the ashaway hard feeling. But in terms of lively feel and feedback from the string, it does feel a bit dull compared to the yonex and li ning strings. However, at almost half the price of those two brands' strings, ashaway is a good choice for those looking for only durability and money saving. Repulsion and control are definitely there, so it just lacks a bit more lively feedback. If ashaway can improve that in its future strings, it will be even more appealing.

15. Decimator

Decimator Regular Member

What do you mean by lively feedback, Sharpness?

16. Konquerian

It's the feeling of the vibration from the string bed when making contact with the shuttle. That feedback from the string bed aids in accuracy and control when executing a shot, giving a player better sense of where the shuttle is going and the amount of power to put in for the shot. Personally, I love li ning no.1 and no.5, and yonex bg80, because those strings give me the best sensory vision on the court .

The way I would put it, my choice of the strings enables the Daredevil to see without his eyes, where the ashaway strings can most of time leave the Daredevil truly blind .

17. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    I've only got one pack of 64tx, what's the recommendations on this I don't wanna waste it :confused:

I usually go 28lbs square no prestretch on zm66f, can I go the same on this? Recently used li ning ap64 28lbs no prestretch, Victor vs850 29lbs, and vs850 28lbs 10% PS

Does Ashaway need prestretch in general? On zm69f I pulled it at 29 to get a similar feel to 28lbs on zm66f... but zm62f at 28lbs no PS felt like it lost tension quickly...
    I've acquired a micrometer and caliper recently, planning on doing a collection of advertised thickness vs measured thickness.

18. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    measured with micrometer came out to advertised 0.64 mm out of the package
    28 lbs square 5% prestretch on duo8xp, pings nice and bright off the machine (pt8), stiff stringbed very textured string.
    expected movement of ashaway strings a little worse than usual in first hour, then settled down to normal characteristic ashaway movement.
    good feel, good power, good control. after 3 hours no discernible loss of tension.
    soft-medium feeling string, plays kinda numb but not sure if due to vibslayer in the racquet or that's how the string is.
    for comparison vs850 (29 lbs square, no PS) felt harder (medium-hard to me) on arc8dx, zm66F (28 lbs square, no PS) felt softer on nr900
    will update after getting more sessions in but as of now would buy again.

19. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    after 12 hours play, tension hold is pretty good. it feels like it has settled to what i would equate to a fresh 27lb job.
    string movement less than zymax fire series.
    enjoy this string, would buy again

yenyesoh and swsh like this.
  20. Decimator

Decimator Regular Member

How durable is the 68Tx? Is it as durable as BG 65?