Dispute over the speed of shuttlecocks during amateur tournaments

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by LenaicM, Oct 17, 2018.

1. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Like many European countries in winter, we’re reaching lower temperatures already which also means we need to use speed 78 sometimes 79 shuttlecocks.

I’m doing my very first tournament in November and asked some experienced competitive players at my clubs what speed are they using for tournaments during winter. They are all using 77 speed shuttlecocks despite knowing those are too slow. In fact at both the clubs I play at, they dislike my speed 78 shuttles since a few weeks and the temperature lowered down, saying these are too fast when in fact, when they properly test it themselves, they acknowledge it is the right speed.

Apparently everyone is using some speed 77 shuttles even deep in the winter during tournaments (and club play) and that seems to be the general rule. I plan to use the right speed shuttles during that tournament which will be 78 in November but they warned me that if my opponent test my shuttles before a match and find those to be too fast they will ask to break the tips to match theirs or might even complain my shuttles helped me win if they end up faulting a lot.

What would you do? Impose playing with your speed 78 shuttles only while dismissing the opponent’s ones even if it means somehow “sponsoring” the opponent with your shuttles? Or ride along and break the tips of the shuttles to slow them down or even ending up stupidly following the mass and using some speed 77 shuttles that are definitely too slow for the conditions? Either way I feel like it could penalize me or even injure me as I’ m used to play with the correct speed for shuttles and hitting some speed 77 shuttles in a 18 degrees hall just won’t feel right.

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Dude, you're so lucky. I have to play with 76 shuttles in winter.

I haven't found a solution so far. This scenario clearly favors the hard-hitters over technical players, in my opinion.

ucantseeme likes this.
  3. llrr

llrr Regular Member

You said that "if your opponent test the shuttles and find them to be too fast..." If they are the correct speed then the test should be perfect which means nothing will happen?

ucantseeme likes this.
  4. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Well I willyoure
    You’re right. Perdon me, I meant if they find my 78 shuttles to be too fast in comparison to their 77 shuttles. Right now as an example when we were testing my 78 shuttles in a 20 degrees hall they landed just a bit after the first tram line of the back of the court which indicates correct speed. The 77 shuttles landed around 1.5 meters short of the boundary line which is too slow, should be a meter maximum. Yey they call my shuttles too fast. Not too fast in term of official shuttle speed regulation but too fast as in compared to their basis which is their shuttles...

5. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

So what do you say in this situation where your opponent shows a 76 shuttle and you know damn well it is not the right speed for the conditions and you happen to have a tube of the correct speed shuttles in your bag?

6. llrr

llrr Regular Member

In that case get the tournament referee to be the judge.

LenaicM and Cheung like this.
  7. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Well, I don't have the right speed, either, because the clubs I play at only sell 76 speed shuttles and I will definitely not buy the right speed on my own for more money as I will not be able to use them. They will tip the feathers right after warm-up.

LenaicM likes this.
  8. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Playing speed 76 shuttles in winter in Germany seems pretty rough. Well definitely understand your case, weird from your club to pick some speed 76 shuttles though as I doubt they are ever useful in Germany, or may be during the peak of summer eventually.

9. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Some of the players at my club think, "hey, I'm able to hit a clear or lift out, must be too fast then". Well, learn to control the shuttle you fool. :D

darrengsaw likes this.
  10. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

That’s pretty much what I hear at my clubs too. They are used to their shuttle speed and therefore believe it’s how it is. Well that’s rather annoying if you ask me to play with inappropriate shuttles’ speed... but I guess we don’t have much choice.

darrengsaw and Rob3rt like this.
  11. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

So if the tournament referee agree my speed 78 shuttles are the correct one, we’ll play using my shuttles only. It’s fine for me but I hope the referee will not just compromise and ask me to tip my shuttles’ feathers to match my opponent ones. We’ll see. Thanks for your feedbacks.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If they are correct speed, then you will not be asked to tip them.

It's worth having a copy of the rules easily available.

LenaicM and darrengsaw like this.
  13. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

Hi LenaicM,
    You should better seek advice from FFBAD if the organizer is under its jurisdiction way before the tournament starts.

LenaicM likes this.
  14. Wakashi

Wakashi New Member

In Quebec, Canada, we use the same method as Paul, here's the link https://badminton-coach.co.uk/261/why-incorrect-badminton-shuttle-speeds-are-killing-skill-levels/

It doesn't matter if it's 76,77,78, we tips accordingly to fit between those two lines that between 53cm and 99cm of the back line. It avoids any kind of argument for shuttle speed whether the opponent likes it or not.

15. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

You’re right and I tried to introduce it but personally I’m done trying to explain that to players at my clubs. When one clears a shuttle out he rant on how fast are the shuttles. Another one who cannot clear back to back when playing singles will say the shuttle is too slow. They play with speed 77 shuttles in a 15 degrees hall in winter and believe it’s just fine. Show them this speed test method they first look at you like you just invented it, make them try, if a shuttle lands to short at first they hit like there is no tomorrow the next one and if it lands close enough will say it’s fine with a big smile. I even had one hitting my shuttles with so much less force just to prove his point and have my shuttle speed 78 land shorter than his speed 77 shuttles which just doesn't make sense. Like I said I gave up :cool:.

16. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    Its a common problem in colder countries, people often end up becoming comfortable with slower birds and think those are the normal speed. My suggestion is to go to a different club..

LenaicM likes this.
  17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    you can adapt your game.

With a slow shuttle, when you get the serve make sure you hit it very high and right into the backlines. If the shuttle is slow, the opponent is highly unlikely to hit a deep clear, so move your base forward wait for the easy shot. Do not hit a short serve with a slow shuttle - it becomes easier for your opponent to hit to your backlines.

LenaicM likes this.
  18. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Yes I’m aware and the closest decent club is an hour away. For now I play at two clubs (one being 2 kms away of my house) 3/4 times a week and my badminton partner and I are using the right speed shuttles for feeding and practice matches so it’s not that bad. It’s just a bit upsetting to meet players rejecting the idea of using a different shuttle than what they know.

I’m supposed to move abroad (supposedly Japan as my wife has family there and conections but could very well be Singapore too) next September/October so I can hang on a bit more especially at my level I still have too much to learn before going to a “better” club.

I guess I got a bit carried away with my ranting on my previous post hehe, and like @Cheung said I can adapt!

19. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I never thought about that, I mostly serve short and flick a lot but I could turn it to my advantage this way. Will keep that in mind next time I play with slow shuttles!

Cheung likes this.
  20. Mr Arc2

Mr Arc2 Regular Member

Actually there is a lot of misinterpretation in this thread. Just because it's winter doesn't mean you need to play with 78 speed shuttles. It is much more likely that the 77s are still the correct speed. There's two reasons for that. Halls have heating, so the temperature in the hall could still be around 20°C. Because of heating humidity decreases which causes less air resistance.
    Bottom line is: Shuttles should always be tested. And with tested I mean hit by an experienced and knowledgable player. Some hard hitters can hit almost any shuttle out of bounce. People with bad technique won't hit a regular shuttle far enough. Speak with your opponent.

ucantseeme likes this.