2018 HSBC BWF World Tour Final: Race to Guangzhou

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by minions, Oct 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I have done some calculations of the alternative ranking for the MDs (counting only S500++) just like Steen had done with the MS :

1. (#1) Gideon/Sukamuljo 108,400
    2. (#6) Kamura/Sonoda 67,600
    3. (#5) Ahsan/Setiawan 65,220
    4. (#9) Li/Liu 64,800
    5. (#8) Endo/Watanabe 64,550
    6. (#7) Kim/Rasmussen 64,500
    7. (#3) Liao/Su 60,970
    8. (#2) Chen/Wang 60,890

9. (#4) Han/Zhou 55,890
    10. (#11) Inoue/Kaneko 54,550

Not much changes in terms of the qualifying pairs except Han/Zhou who fell to #9, but the rankings position within the top 8 changed a lot after this calculations.

They have made exceptions in the past before like giving a WC wild card to LD for example. I know these are different circumstances. But to disqualify one of the most contributing player/pair just because the WC happened to be from the same country and if that pair happened to be Fuku/Hiro, then losing in the WC final to contribute to them not qualifying to the WTF after all the points they have gained all this year just.. not right:confused:. Well, it is just my personal opinion anyway.

Michael V likes this.
  2. minions

minions Regular Member

Yeah, there is not much change, just the order of position. But, it seems weird to me that Li/Liu are placed high considering that their results aren't satisfying lately.

Well, the world champions are practically using their wildcard to WTF should they are out of the top 8. Hmmm, I hope BWF can realize about this current Race to Guangzhou.

3. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Li/Liu did well the first half of year. While the other pairs did well the second half of the year. So it is not surprising to see they were up there in top 8.
    Also Li/Liu, Liu/Zhang and minions have only played in 11 tournaments this year.

4. badminton fancier

badminton fancier Regular Member

Li/Liu, He/Tan & Inoue/Kaneko won't play in Syed Modi; if Fajar.Rian wins they will earn 7000 points which is still lower than current points of Endo/Watanabe. So do all of this means that MD top 8 is now confirmed?

5. event

event Regular Member

No. Inoue/Kaneko dropping out just means that no more than two pairs can pass Ahsan/Setiawan so they are now confirmed. Endo/Watanabe still have to show up for their first round match and if they do, they're confirmed. Same goes for Astrup/Rasmussen. Either way, it will be confirmed by tomorrow.

6. badminton fancier

I dont think I get it. If they dont show up tomorrow, they can still be qualified with their current points since the winner of this tournament cannot get more than 66220, the number 8's current points.

7. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Why can't Lindan qualify? And also, Kenta Nishimoto do not participate in any other tournament? And Sameer at the maximum can earn 7000 points if he wins Syed modi , right?

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  9. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Though how he did in SaarLorLux Open was quite a great thing itself. Look how much it has given to the winner (definitely one of the greatest experience he had ever had). Overall a better result with a better ending rather than just Lin Dan winning the tournaments like some would have expected.

10. minions

minions Regular Member

If Endo/Watanabe don't play in India, Kamura/Sonoda will be qualified instead.

Kenta doesn't play in any tournaments. He has to rely on Sameer's progress in Syed Modi to determine if he can qualify or not.

#170 minions, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  11. event

event Regular Member

Being #8 is not good enough. They have to be in the top 7 because Li/Liu are already qualified as the World Champions.

12. minions

minions Regular Member

I am surprised that TakaMatsu just straight up retired from the match at India. As much as I want them to qualify to WTF, I don't expect this outcome at all. FukuHiro must have been really hurt by this outcome. I wonder if Endo/Watanabe do the same or not. Well, I can't exactly blame anyone. Probably Unisys wants their own players to qualify to WTF. I also can't blame TakaMatsu though, there is All Japan Tournament next month. Maybe it is Unisys' plan all along.

visor, nilesh123, azerez and 2 others like this.
  13. badminton fancier

Yes I agreed that TakaMatsu cannot make any decision on their own. Unisys probably wants to have them back to Japan ASAP to prepare for the biggest tournament of the year as far as Japan is concerned. If they play this tournament till final, I cannot see their capability of competing in their home country.

14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I don't think Fuku/Hiro would care much about this. They probably have already known something like this would have happened.
    And honestly how would you expect them to do? Win this round and give walkover tomorrow?
    Better give the opponents a chance to get further in the tournament.

15. minions

minions Regular Member

Yes, I can see Unisys' bigger picture. Unisys wants their players to qualify to WTF, so they send nearly their players to Syed Modi. NO didn't even registered there because it is unnecesary. Yuta/Arisa withdrew before the draw was being done. Unisys must have been made some calculations to gain maximum advantage.

Michael V likes this.
  16. minions

minions Regular Member

I just merely surprised. I don't have anything against TakaMatsu. Hmmmmm, is this BWF mistake to end up in this situation?

17. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

It's a horrible situation for all people involved. Opponents and spectators at Syed Modi, Takamatsu for having to fake it, Fukuhiro for being ousted this way and the BWF for the utter embarrassment of it.

Let's not forget, however, that the whole blame for this mess lies with the BWF and their stupid rules. Asian Games, Sea Games, European Championships, World Championships, Olympic Games all have quotas regarding nationality. There is no need for yet another event like this, especially if you advertise the WTF as the "8 best players/pairs". It's simply not true.

Last year, Takamatsu had to pass for a pair that never made it past the second round of a SS tournament. This year, the two pairs with the best win percentage (Sakutaka and Fukuhiro) are forcibly sidelined despite winning one third of all Word Tour events between them.

I mean, just look at these clowns:
    https://corporate.bwfbadminton.com/about/council/
    Where are the Chinese, Japanese, Indian and Koreans that should actually govern this sport?

18. ebcd

ebcd Regular Member

Anders/Rasmussen just did the same?

19. azerez

azerez Regular Member

lol another one

20. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Endo/Watanabe lost 21-11 21-9
    They were talking to the referee at 2-7 (opponents leading) but decided to continue on.

It was probably the hardest match Endo/Wata had to play in their life :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.