Badminton in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by gaDEfan, May 6, 2007.

1. badminton fancier

badminton fancier Regular Member

So you think Unisys can do whatever they want without NBA's approval? Why don't Tonami & Trick Panders do the same thing? If you are a player, what will you do? Will you play this whole week, finishing on Sunday, then catching a flight from India to Japan ( at least 8-hour flight) and then start the All japan Championship (the most important event for Japanese players of the year) the next Monday? Or you prefer them to play their best, winning the match then today walk-over? They chose not to do it, but rather retired during the match to give a chance to the pair they competed with.Or you think they should pretend to have a bad day and finish the game as the loser? Tell me what would you do if you were the players in this situation?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Serve into the net and hit birds out?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

3. kurako

kurako Regular Member

That is an interesting point. With regard to players despatched by the NBA (I am not sure about self-financed players), the NBA usually takes 10% of of any prize-money earned. The remaining 90% is sent to the prefectural Badminton Associations, which then distribute it to players' corporate teams. The teams, in turn, are meant to transfer the money to the players' bank accounts. But even with these officially despatched players, the channeling of prize-money can be murky.

For example, Imai Akihiro, former head coach of Saishunkan, is currently undergoing a criminal investigation because he with-held players' prize-money, and transferred it to his bank account, instead. He claims that he had the players' approval, and that the money was going to be spent to strengthen the team.

That point aside, participation in tournaments as a "self-financed player" is fairly firmly restricted by NBA regulations. It's probably not that lucrative an option for the corporate teams. Restrictions include, for example:

1. Self-financed players must have participated in the All-Japan Championships (AJC) in the previous year. (The AJC is not a free-for-all tournament; in men's singles, for instance, only 54 players are qualified.)
    2. There is a cap on the number of tournaments that one can participate in as a self-financed player. If one is ranked at World Ranking 17 or below, the number is six per year.
    3. The level of the tournaments can only be World Tour 300 or lower.
    4. Self-financed players cannot apply to participate in tournaments to which the NBA is officially despatching a team, unless the the self-financed players have participated in fewer than 8 international tournaments in the last 52 weeks.

Considering that flight and accommodation costs need to be paid, and that the players are required to be accompanied by a coach, I am not sure if there is much in the way of profit to be made.... This is especially the case as there is no guarantee that the players will win.

mantoufist and Master like this.
  4. fanyy

fanyy Regular Member

The fact that such high ranked players like TakaMatsu need to "participate" in a 300 series for points to secure a WTF spot just shows how flawed the system is :cool:

5. vinnino

vinnino Regular Member

Just like I mention before, NBA approved Unisys participation before they know Unisys will mess the fairplay.

What I will do: Not participated in India and focused to All Japan Championships.

Whatever the reason is, fairplay is still number one in sport.

So, Unisys right now = China.

6. Master

Master Regular Member

I mean the profit is coming from the prize money of World Tour Final which is guaranteed 100%. (at least they will get $ 10,500 as the 4th place in group stage) :D

The flowchart is to secure WTF ticket by self-financed tournament in Super 300 tournament, the rest will be safe. :cool:

7. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Hypothetically what would happen if both TakaMatsu and FukuHiro registered for the SyedModi open? Are they gonna slug it out in the eve of AJC? We will never know but kind of interesting to think of...

8. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

The only logical reason that Unisys registered their players for this 300-level tournament right before AJC is, at least to me, that they foresee something like the current situation might happen...

9. badminton fancier

Well, I think you just basically have a pretty negative outlook of things. I can't see any fair-play issue here. As I mentioned so many times, the other clubs have the same right to register for their players but they chose not to, so why you have to be so angry with Unisys? And I think you should show some respect in your comment towards China as they have nothing to do here.

10. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I see, ... As Unisys has Okuhara, Endo/Watanabe, TakaMatsu, and WataHiga taking part, this might conceivably be profitable. But, this is an NBA-sponsored delegation; strictly-speaking any prize-money should be transferred to the players' bank accounts (minus the NBA's 10% cut).

That aside, whilst it is all good news for Unisys, Park Joo Bong can't be too happy about Endo/Watanabe's slot. I mean, they have next to no chance to progress.

11. vinnino

vinnino Regular Member

Maybe this is the last time I replied cause I see you still can't understand.

I dislike any unfairplay strategy. Registed to a tournament just for playing about 5 minutes (after that retired for no clear reason) is such a shameful strategy to get ranking point. That's all.

Yes, China nothing to do with this cases, but in another case they usually do what TakaMatsu & WataEndo did. Bye

12. Master

Master Regular Member

It's a speculation though, and yes it shouldn't happen anyway.

I think it's better if they could win their 2018 All Japan Championships. I hope Endo/Watanabe (former champion) vs Kamura/Sonoda (2 times champions, 2015-2016) in the final along with FukuHiro (former champion) vs TakaMatsu (5 times champions, 2011-2013 & 2015-2016) as well.

It's difficult to avoid, even BWF or at least the tournament's referee can do nothing to prevent that to happen. But I'm agree with that cases are still controversies.

kurako likes this.
  13. minions

minions Regular Member

@kurako I will ask something about the controversies yesterday. I don't know what Japanese badminton fans are thinking regarding about this. Do they tend to agree with the result yesterday? Just out of curiosity.

14. badminton fancier

If other clubs face the same situation, they will do the same thing. Why they have to let their players stay in Japan so they will not be qualified for WTF for the sake of the badminton fan like you who only criticises? They hurt no one, even make other players happy because they have more chance to win. Don't be too tough mate.

15. vinnino

vinnino Regular Member

Wish BWF do something to fix the fairplay issues. Not to mention they always lets Chinese team to do the same tactics every chance they want to do. Wish Japanese will not follow the Chinese path even they're now at the top.

16. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

So why aren't you complaining to BWF? Berating the people here or the Japanese won't change anything.

17. kurako

kurako Regular Member

At least around me, this is not being discussed. The papers have not picked up on the issue, either, and nothing is circulating on social networks.

It is possible that it is not viewed as an issue at all, but simply a rational and intelligent choice by the Unisys players. Maybe there will be more of a reaction when the sports papers realise that this particular choice of action has met with criticism in other parts of the world.

Michael V and visor like this.
  18. minions

minions Regular Member

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info. I guess Japanese tends to look at the positive side. I don't think the sports paper will ever realize the reaction from the other countries.

19. vinnino

vinnino Regular Member

I'll do if I can do it, so what?

Edit: What do you mean by "Berating"? Is that you missinterpretated or you just lost of control? ;)

20. badminton fancier

I think Japanese fans are even pleased with that decision as the players can focus on All Japan Championship. The players actually gave up a chance to earn more ranking points and chose to prioritize the national tournament, which I think should be appreciated. I can't understand why there are people who are angry with that?

Michael V likes this.