Goh V Shem/Tan Wee Kiong

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by xsakurax, May 25, 2014.

1. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

MAS no.3 pair Teo Ee Yi/Ong Yew Sin able to beat Kamura/Sonoda twice in a row (Asian Games and Malaysia Master), how come Goh/Tan unable to beat Kamura/Sonoda after Super Series Finals 2016...

2. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

where are they when Goh/Tan need them during match against Marcus/Kevin...?

3. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

Very delight with they way Goh/Tan play in this tournament.. not too passive as they were before.. keep it up!

4. lurker

lurker Regular Member

i may got the coaches names wrong

could be Lee Khim Wah + Chew Choon Eng

5. Cookz

Cookz Regular Member

Hi , i know this is probably not the best place to ask. But does anyone know which model bags the two were carrying? the yonex black and yellow rectangle bag?

6. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

congrats to Goh/Tan for winning the second BWF World Tour title in Chinese Taipei Open...

Cheung likes this.
  7. Leemarc28

Leemarc28 Regular Member

This is one of the most remarkable comeback in men's doubles. 8-16 down in the rubber and winning 23-21. And it all happened so fast.

visor likes this.
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Happy for them. Hope they can grab a couple more tournament victories and boost their confidence.

9. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

Yeah, they're good pair and hopefully this title will boost them..

10. Carbonex_7

Carbonex_7 Regular Member

Tan is using the latest NF800, looks like a good boost to the sales and Yonex should sponsor the pair. Poor Goh still using 2U Arc 11, IMHO his smashes were not as steep and strong as with JS10. Smashes were obviously slower in third set due to fatigue and 2U racket is not helping for daddy Goh.

11. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I was under the impression that they were already being sponsored. Do correct me if I'm wrong because they made the transition away from victor pretty darn quickly when they turned independent.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

12. Carbonex_7

Carbonex_7 Regular Member

I think you are right, they are sponsored by Yonex in 2019. They have been off my radar for quite sometime, the photos of them wearing Victor shirt with yonex rackets still lingering in my mind. thanks for the head up. Cheers

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Even though they won the Taiwan Open, they were very lucky to have stolen it from under the KOR pair, who was leading massively in G3 and inexperienced in big matches. They better not make this a habit and depend so much on their luck in the future.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

ah_lim, Leemarc28 and Cheung like this.
  14. Leemarc28

Leemarc28 Regular Member

I used to like them. Being World no 1 for a while, silver medalist OG2016, Dubai 2016 superseries champion. But after that they really slump down in 2017 2018. No achievement. Spit up, reunited again turn independent. No doubt they win Taipei Open but bear in mind this a super 300 event, so many top pair is missing. And mind you, they never have good head to head against top pairs. They are trying to repeat what Ahsan Setiawan can do but I really doubt so. Too inconsistency to be rank among the top pairs plus BAM doesn't support them. I foresee they will split up again after 2020 Tokyo. I often see them don't meet eye to eye on court.

15. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

Yes they tend to easily loose focus and make too much mistakes for no reason at all. Yesterday's game 2...they were too slow to start and the Koreans capitalized on this very quickly. 3rd set they seemed stung by the 2nd game and scrambled to increase their intensity. As we can see, the Koreans thought they had steered clear and weathered the Malaysian's intensity..Yes..due to inexperience, and dropped their guard. Mistake!! Coz Malaysians were still on a fight back mood (they've been in this position b4).

#415 pajrul, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  16. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

It's a good morale boosting game coz the Koreans were on a high as they had just beaten the Indonesian no1 pair. Agreed that their weaknesses seems unsurmountable, who knows, this victory might just be the injection they need

17. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

The best angle ever to watch badminton.. :) the sound though.. umpph!

Baddie lover likes this.
  18. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I do like this pairing a lot but they are perhaps one of the most frustrating to watch. They often underperform for the caliber of player they each are individually. There is so much potential in this pairing but for one reason or another all the coaches that have worked with them have either not identified the main issues or have failed to fix them.

For me, there are two main issues.

1. Strategy. They, particularly Tan continually likes to play attacking drives and force their way through and although this tactic has generally served them well against most players, it is not actually a dependable strategy for them especially when playing against players who are great at the flat game. Whilst Tan covers the net fairly well he is not a natural forecourt player and forcing his way to the net with drives is not the right approach as this also exposes Goh to counters. Tan needs to learn to sacrifice some driving/midcourt attacking opportunities for a well placed block to force lifts and utilize Goh's rear court attacking strength more, to force the rally in their favor. Tan often plays shots he thinks is there, but forgetting that he may be exposing Goh's vulnerability to counters.

2. Defense. This is not their strongest point and Goh is the obvious weakness. We all know how lazy Goh sometimes looks in defense, but I don't feel it is his lack of motivation but actually a technical deficit. Firstly he stands far too upright, he doesn't seem ready at all but he also lacks in variation in his defense so he often ends up gradually conceding small advantages to their opponents in defensive situations which ultimately ends up losing the point. I genuinely believe that something as simple as Goh getting a bit lower in his defensive stance, he would increase his defense percentage. But he certainly needs to work on his defense placement and counters as well.

There are other points as well but I think if they can address these points, they would be much stronger than they already are.

visor likes this.
  19. visor

visor Regular Member

#419 visor, Feb 2, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  20. Leemarc28

Leemarc28 Regular Member

Price to pay for going independent. Need to take care sponsorship, Air flights, accomodations, etc. Most important understanding of the BWF rulings all by your own self. Wish them luck in their qualification to Olympics with their reduce tourament schedule. Not easy path ahead.