Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

28 international, individual titles of GP+ level. Without spending a lot of time digging for every individual tournament, I'm not entirely sure of the level of tournaments prior to the SS era, but from that point on its 13 SS titles plus 3 WC, 1 OG, 1 BAC. Another 8 titles before that, including 1 AE, 1 WC. 1 of them was a masters event, which I believe to be below Open level. 3 of the events went on to become SS events (AE, Hong Kong, Swiss).

Overall I'd argue that makes 21 SS+ titles (events that became SS, WC, OG included, not counting continental championships).

2. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

Probably because tony himself was a tactician guy, similar to hendra and lyd. kevin playing style is a bit different.

3. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

He was just answering the question : He thought of himself to be similar like Hendra. And LYD as a very good defender. (Coincidentally, both Hendra and LYD's idol is Tony) Hendra and LYD both are veteran players, he even played against Hendra a few times. No idea if he had ever played against LYD before he retired from International circuit?

While he said Kevin was one of a kind. He couldn't relate himself at all or explain Kevin's playing style. Even when he was asked whether Kevin reminded him of Sigit, he answered yes a bit, but even Sigit's was defensive.

4. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

Nice interview, :)

5. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

It was mentioned again by Morten in Malaysian Master that minions's only played in 11 tournaments before the WTF. As the top committed pairs, they were required to play in 12 tournaments a year or they would have to pay the fine. Was QTF counted as the 12th tournament and made up the number?

6. minions

minions Regular Member

WTF doesn't count. The 12 tournaments that are stated by BWF consists of 3 WT1000s, 5 WT750s and 4 WT500s. For WT500 tournaments, minions only participated in 3 tournaments. So, yes, they got fined last year. But, I don't think that's the problem for minions. Fine is nothing for them.

7. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

From 2007 onwards, they have 14SS. Before that, they won 7 titles even though i'm not sure say CopenhageMasters/ ChineseTaipei Open is SS or not. But , that gives 21 titles. In the end overall 28 titles is about right.

8. Master

Master Regular Member

Flash spinning backhand smash from Kevin :D:cool:

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Copenhagen Masters is more of an exhibition event, I don't think it even gives ranking points, and the Chinese Taipei Open have been a GPG event ever since the SS came to life iirc.
    I find 13 SS titles from 2007 on - there's a Thailand GPG mixed in there. Overall they won 28 titles, yes. (actually 9 before 2007 - the 2006 WC and 2005 World Cup too)
    What surprised me a bit (again) is the long period of utter dominance from China...2004-2012 Thomas and 2005-2015 Sudirman Cups....absurd. Really makes them seem very weak right now by comparison.

10. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

CHN MS had been pretty solid and strong compared to what they have now (after LD). Throw Cai/Fu to the team, they could easily win at least 3 out of 4.
    As for Sudirman Cup, CHN women had been too dominant until 2016.

11. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

They have LD/CL at peak. LD is virtually unbeatable then. When you get the first point, you will probably win TC i believe.

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Tell that to Malaysia lol

13. minions

minions Regular Member

I think he mean the China team. But, yeah, it is suck when you realize that you are the only dependable player in your team. I am thankful that minions aren't the only dependable players in INA team. Players like AG, JC and Fajar/Rian can share the work with minions in Thomas Cup.

14. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I also realize why not AhmadNatsir plays in SudirmanCup. What a waste, we can see GreysAp have chance to win in a one off match. so do AG/JC.

15. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

In Final, i mean.

16. Thunder Hand

Thunder Hand Regular Member

Gideon seems really struggling lately, is he still not feeling 100% ?

17. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Not young anymore, 28 this year. Gideon seems to hit more flat smashes, smashes that go out or hit the net quite often. But they still win their matches and only have 1/2 rubber games per tournament. I dont think they are at the stage where they need to tank 1 game like AhsanHendra always do yet.

Omen is on Gideon to keep working hard.

18. wade

wade Regular Member

I'm still waiting for gideon to perform like in denmark open again, that was probably the best version of gideon last year.

19. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Or Marcus just has another thing on his mind?
    Was his baby born yet by the way?

20. wade

wade Regular Member

Not yet I think.